It is a year and a day since I last drank any alcohol.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Retread

Regular
Sipping a nice bourbon while reading this thread.....

Saluki

World class procrastinator
I didn’t drink alcohol for well over twenty years, then had wine from time to time for about 4 years. Decided just over a month ago to just stop, so I did.
A friend is doing ‘no beer for a year’ as a personal challenge, so decided to keep him company.

I do rather like the alcohol free alternatives, especially the Cerocero zero alcohol gin. I like the taste, but not the effect of gin.

VelvetUnderpants

Über Member
At the age of 55 I have decided to call it a day, for my sake and those around me. I didn't think I had a drink problem, after all I never drank at home and only went down the pub a couple of nights a week. The issue for me is when I start I am like a dog off the leash, I find it hard to stop, I could drink eight pints and not think anything of it. I have suffered with anxiety and depression most of my life, and alcohol makes it so much worse.

I am in my first week and I feel irritable, anxious and depressed, more so than normal. Apparently this is quite normal and hopefully this will abate over the next month or so.

I have come to a point in my life where I want to address the causes of my depression and anxiety, and I know that can never happen whilst I am drinking alcohol.

Stephenite

Membå
At the age of 55 I have decided to call it a day, for my sake and those around me. I didn't think I had a drink problem, after all I never drank at home and only went down the pub a couple of nights a week. The issue for me is when I start I am like a dog off the leash, I find it hard to stop, I could drink eight pints and not think anything of it. I have suffered with anxiety and depression most of my life, and alcohol makes it so much worse.

I am in my first week and I feel irritable, anxious and depressed, more so than normal. Apparently this is quite normal and hopefully this will abate over the next month or so.

I have come to a point in my life where I want to address the causes of my depression and anxiety, and I know that can never happen whilst I am drinking alcohol.
How many days, or nights, has it been?

I remember in my twenties thinking I can't go for more than 10 or 12 days without a drink. Nowadays, it's much less than that.

OP
OP
PeteXXX

PeteXXX

Cake or ice cream? The choice is endless ...

When I gave up smoking, numerous years ago, it was almost the same as becoming teetotal. It was the thought of not doing it than the actual thing of abstaining.

I don't know how you are financially, but I calculated that a years saving on alcohol payed for my new Brompton..

Good luck with it your abstinence.

Jody

Stubborn git
I pretty much gave up booze in my mid -20s. I had never really liked the taste of either beer or spirits, and like many young men, I drank to get drunk rather than because i enjoyed it. The hangovers killed it for me, and I haven’t missed it at all.

Harder to shift the bad habits that I enjoy!

Snap.

VelvetUnderpants

Über Member
How many days, or nights, has it been?

I remember in my twenties thinking I can't go for more than 10 or 12 days without a drink. Nowadays, it's much less than that.

It's my first week of giving up alcohol for good. I didn't drink every day, maybe twice a week, but I would binge drink which is probably worse. I want to call it a day to improve my mental health as well as physical health.

icowden

Veteran
For me it was more about drinking to fit in. My friends all drank but didn't want to be buying me a glass of coke. Eventually a friend introduced me to Archers and I began drinking, although I've never enjoyed being drunk or tipsy. I drink now, but more out of habit I think than genuine enjoyment, although a nice Aspalls goes well with a pie, and I love a little glass of Stags Breath. Sometimes I find a really nice red wine that I could drink all night, but don't as I really don't enjoy the loss of balance and the attendant hangover.

I can go many days between having a drink though. I think some of it is about personality and what kind of kick you get from alcohol. Personally - I get no kick from champagne...

Jody

Stubborn git
If it's fess up time, I'll admit to never liking the taste of almost any alcohol and like you it was more fitting in and enjoying the ease of interactions when a little lubrification was applied. The hangovers just weren't worth the night before so decided to stop on principal. I never drank on a regular basis anyway. It's probably been 7-8 years since I last touched any.

Must admit though I really liked the feeling of being tipsy/drunk.

Drago

Legendary Member
As the title says...
Conscious decision a year & a day ago to stop drinking alcohol.
I'm not sure if I feel actually any healhier, but I've certainly lowered my intake of useless calories, and saved maybe £1,500

I can honestly say that I haven't missed it, (apart from, possibly, today when a nice bottle of wine, sat out in the sunshine might have been nice!)
Well done Pete. I raise a glass to your success!

All uphill

Still rolling along

I wish you well!

My sons and I all suffered depression and anxiety for years. My younger son linked those feelings to very moderate alcohol consumption and cut out alcohol at 21 years old. I followed suit and gradually felt the benefits.

I wonder if some of us just don't cope well with alcohol?

I've been dry now for four years and have bought two lovely new bikes with the money saved!

I wish you well!

My sons and I all suffered depression and anxiety for years. My younger son linked those feelings to very moderate alcohol consumption and cut out alcohol at 21 years old. I followed suit and gradually felt the benefits.

I wonder if some of us just don't cope well with alcohol?

I've been dry now for four years and have bought two lovely new bikes with the money saved!
quit at 21! seriously, i was just getting started, no, really!! well done ^_^
drank furiously for years beyond that age :ohmy:
have quit now so better late than never for me

Top Bottom