It makes my blood boil!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Great, just don't think it will be a happy ending. Going by one of the previous threads he'll get 5 minutes community service with a 4 hour suspended sentence and a slap on the wrists with a wet noodle.

Sorry, just my jaded cynicism coming out here......

p.s. in all fairness, I didn't see what led up to this confrontation. As always, it's better to get a full picture of what happened. I'm in no way suggesting what this bloke did is right, but I do in all honesty wonder what happened to motivate his behaviour?

I'm guessing perhaps the car was stuck behind the cyclist for x amount of time where x was simply too long :blush:

Good news on him handing himself in, wonder what influenced that? Wife perhaps (?) as cant imagine him just deciding out of the goodness of his heart.....

Great, just don't think it will be a happy ending. Going by one of the previous threads he'll get 5 minutes community service with a 4 hour suspended sentence and a slap on the wrists with a wet noodle.

Do you think the judge will be that harsh ;)

Origamist

Legendary Member
A 29-year-old man has handed himself in to a south London police station in connection with the assault on cyclist Simon Page.

John Nicholls of Dartford in Kent attended the police station accompanied by a solicitor, at which point he was arrested on suspicion of assault.

At 13.34pm today he was charged with the offence of Common Assault by Beating and bailed to appear before Bexley Magistrates Court on July 25.

http://road.cc/content/news/38853-breaking-bexley-video-attack-man-arrested

Angelfishsolo

A Velocipedian
A 29-year-old man has handed himself in to a south London police station in connection with the assault on cyclist Simon Page.

John Nicholls of Dartford in Kent attended the police station accompanied by a solicitor, at which point he was arrested on suspicion of assault.

At 13.34pm today he was charged with the offence of Common Assault by Beating and bailed to appear before Bexley Magistrates Court on July 25.

http://road.cc/conte...ck-man-arrested

Bloody Fantastic. Now do we have any Cycling Judges in the country? :biggrin:

Digital Cowboy, I don't know, obviously, if the assailant is employed or not. But if I were the head of a large company that relied on (amongst other things) image to attract my customers, and found that one of my staff was a known violent thug I would seriously question his value to my firm.
In my opinion this bloke could easily (especially as this case has now got national exposure) wind up with a criminal record for a violent offence. Would you want such a person on your books? What if the cyclist suffered severe injury? He was lucky in that he was wearing a helmet. But if he hadn't and his head had struck the kerb we could be looking at something far, far more serious. You just don't go round attacking people.
A lot of 'ifs' and 'buts' but I think losing his job would serve a far greater purpose than a likely community service order.

Bill

Bill,

I understand what you're saying. But if the assailant is employed he isn't wearing any sort of uniform or shirt with an identifiable company logo. So even if he works for a company that relied on image how would anyone know what company that he worked for? Uh, shouldn't one do some sort of a background check before they hire someone? I know that over here in the States on most (if not all) applications there is a question about one's criminal background.

Agreed, and hopefully this bloke does end up with such a record. No, but again that's what the interview and application process are for. To learn about a person before they're hired. If the cyclist had suffered a severe injury how would the company suffer? They're not responsible for the actions of their employees when they're off of the clock and off of company property. And think about this, if the cyclist had suffered severe injury and the assailant is fired how is the assailant is going to pay to make reparations? And also if the assailant is married why should their family have to suffer what is possibly their primary breadwinner being fired an not being able to support them?

Again, agreed one doesn't go around just assaulting people. Over at the other web site we have a thread going on about a cyclist who has had "punk teenagers" on one day throw a mud ball at him, and than the next day they throw an egg at him. Some are advocating that member in question stoop to their level by finding where they live and either egging their car or their house. Given that more likely than not that they are teenagers it's a good chance that the car belongs to their parents and it is a safe bet that they don't own the house. So what would be the good of egging either?

Fortunately most are advocating that the member gather evidence and file a report with the police. It may take time but we have seen where doing so does get results.

Angelfishsolo

A Velocipedian
Bill,

I understand what you're saying. But if the assailant is employed he isn't wearing any sort of uniform or shirt with an identifiable company logo. So even if he works for a company that relied on image how would anyone know what company that he worked for? Uh, shouldn't one do some sort of a background check before they hire someone? I know that over here in the States on most (if not all) applications there is a question about one's criminal background.

Agreed, and hopefully this bloke does end up with such a record. No, but again that's what the interview and application process are for. To learn about a person before they're hired. If the cyclist had suffered a severe injury how would the company suffer? They're not responsible for the actions of their employees when they're off of the clock and off of company property. And think about this, if the cyclist had suffered severe injury and the assailant is fired how is the assailant is going to pay to make reparations? And also if the assailant is married why should their family have to suffer what is possibly their primary breadwinner being fired an not being able to support them?

Again, agreed one doesn't go around just assaulting people. Over at the other web site we have a thread going on about a cyclist who has had "punk teenagers" on one day throw a mud ball at him, and than the next day they throw an egg at him. Some are advocating that member in question stoop to their level by finding where they live and either egging their car or their house. Given that more likely than not that they are teenagers it's a good chance that the car belongs to their parents and it is a safe bet that they don't own the house. So what would be the good of egging either?

Fortunately most are advocating that the member gather evidence and file a report with the police. It may take time but we have seen where doing so does get results.

In the UK most companies would treat such action as bring the company into disrepute regardless of him being in or out of uniform. When I worked for the DWP I was pulled for not having insurance on my car (a genuine mistake made in a very difficult time for me). I was given a verbal reprimand and told that I could have lost my job over it.

I'm guessing perhaps the car was stuck behind the cyclist for x amount of time where x was simply too long :blush:

Good news on him handing himself in, wonder what influenced that? Wife perhaps (?) as cant imagine him just deciding out of the goodness of his heart.....

Agreed, or perhaps it was his girlfriend. It's amazing the effect that a wife/girlfriend can have on a hothead.

In the UK most companies would treat such action as bring the company into disrepute regardless of him being in or out of uniform. When I worked for the DWP I was pulled for not having insurance on my car (a genuine mistake made in a very difficult time for me). I was given a verbal reprimand and told that I could have lost my job over it.

A government job (or a job in the healthcare field or relies heavily on public trust) I can see, one's off duty/clock activities effecting their job. But if it's just an "average run of the mill type job," then what they do when not on the clock shouldn't effect their job. Such as someone who "flips burgers" or wash dishes at the fast food joint/local pub shouldn't loose their job because of something that they'd done while off of the clock.

Angelfishsolo

A Velocipedian
A government job (or a job in the healthcare field or relies heavily on public trust) I can see, one's off duty/clock activities effecting their job. But if it's just an "average run of the mill type job," then what they do when not on the clock shouldn't effect their job. Such as someone who "flips burgers" or wash dishes at the fast food joint/local pub shouldn't loose their job because of something that they'd done while off of the clock.

I disagree. Would you want to employ somebody with a criminal record for assault?

Bill,

Bill,

Sorry, also meant to say that it is also going (albeit on a lessor scale) international.

Top Bottom