It makes my blood boil!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Angelfishsolo

A Velocipedian
OK, I reported a few posts on the Evening Standard and the Mail website versions of this story. I felt it completely unnacceptable that people were allowed to distract from the assault to launch a tirade about cyclists or create conjecture.

So today I have recieved this from the ES team:

I have replied asking why allowing such comment is acceptable? I have also pointed out that they would not tolerate such comment on any other story of violence be that normal assault or sexual, and I have strongly asked them to either screen more closely or turn off the commenting ability on such stories.

I'd like to know why they consider comments about buzzing cyclists acceptable, tirades about non existant taxes that all bear a) no relevance and b) just incite the idiots out there...!

Well done. If you get a response please post it :smile:

I like that system. You do get some things right across the pond it seems :thumbsup: :biggrin:

Occasionally we get it right. ;) Of course if the car owner or more correctly their lawyers can prove/plant the seed of reasonable doubt they'd get off.

downfader

extimus uero philosophus
Well done. If you get a response please post it :smile:

I kind of get the feeling I was the only one with the sense to report those comments. They as a Newspaper have an obligation to inform - not to give people a platform for their ill-conceived and wrong viewpoints, certainly in the wrong time and place.

Angelfishsolo

A Velocipedian
I kind of get the feeling I was the only one with the sense to report those comments. They as a Newspaper have an obligation to inform - not to give people a platform for their ill-conceived and wrong viewpoints, certainly in the wrong time and place.

To be honest I was so angry about the incident I didn't read the comments. They always seem to be cut and pasted from some book of anti-bike rants

asterix

Comrade Member
As someone who reads the Evening Standard website often when bored at work, its not that there's anti-cyclists, its more that the people who tend to comment on it are serial commenters and usually idiots. I'm surprised the incident hasn't yet been blamed on immigrants or Gordon Brown!

Quite agree. Serial commenters are bored idiots. Oops could that be me!

downfader

extimus uero philosophus
To be honest I was so angry about the incident I didn't read the comments. They always seem to be cut and pasted from some book of anti-bike rants

I agree, but looking at some of them they are definately inciting, heres a selection of what I reported:

It seems that the group of cyclists provoked the car driver by shouting at him. Sadly all too common behaviour by cyclists towards both moterists and pedestrians along with falling to stop at red lights, riding on the pavement. Perhaps, the odd bit of "self help" by motorists may act a catalyst to help cystists become courtious and responsible road/pavement users!!

- Mike, London, 12/07/2011 11:45

So what, Cyclists push us pedestrians out of the way on the pavements and they are very aggressive. But when it is done to them by a motorist they start crying: boo hoo, the nasty motorist hit my poor little hand.

- Janet, London, UK, 12/07/2011 12:29

Looked like a very brave motorist,its a shame the cyclist wasn't able to knock this cowardly b##tard spark out.

- bazza, London, 12/07/2011 12:40

Again, only listening to one side of the story. I don't condone violence but this is only a few seconds of the incident.

I hooted a cyclist one day coz he pulled out right in front of my car. He went absolutely berserk and then did £3k worth of damage on my car with a key back to front.

If my husband or son had managed to get hold of this guy exactly the same would have happened. If this had been videoed you would not have seen what the cyclist had done earlier.

Get cyclists OFF THE ROAD OR LICENSE THEM!!!!!

- Karenf, London, 12/07/2011 13:34

Somebody has to bring these unregistered bike riders to boot,wobbling around all over the road.
I blame Boris.

- Davey_Buoy, Chertsey, 12/07/2011 17:49

yello

Do you think perhaps that the ES people have a point?

If those were the type of comments you flagged then I'm inclined to agree with the ES people. As ignorant as I find those posts too, it is just comment. Yes, comments provide a soup box for idiots to spout, and is in danger of reinforcing unacceptable behaviour, but the platform is equally there for you to balance that debate. Simply flagging posts you don't agree with as abusive is, well, a bit like running and crying to mummy... sorry, I wanted to phrase that a bit more tactfully but couldn't.

I know it's frustrating (and why I very very rarely bother reading comments on any article) but sometimes you just have to take it in your stride. Sadly, there are idiots. Perhaps I am one too? I'm sure my comments will have some thinking so but, as I say, it is just comment that you can simply disagree with! :laugh:

downfader

extimus uero philosophus
'Kin ' hell. I am amazed the paper would allow such comments. If they are not abuse I do not know what is!!!!

The daily mail allowed a couple far worse.

Hardly a punch ! That would pass for a cuddle and a kiss where Im from ! - John Long, Liverpool, 12/7/2011 21:23

Time to ban cyclists from our roads. They are a menace.
- Philip, London, 13/7/2011 7:54

the day there is a cycle tax is the day I will give way to a cyclist
- sarah , liverpool, 13/7/2011 10:28

Let's have the truth now rather than listening to some whining cyclist. A pound to a penny the cyclists were more than two abreast and stopping the motorist on purpose. And then they go crying to mummy when their plan backfires.
- Keith, Wales, 13/7/2011 11:35

Typical militant annoying cyclists, all big talk until he dropped like a wet rope.
- Mike, UK, 13/7/2011 13:07

Hooray! Cyclists in my experience are pig ignorant, rude, aggressive and dress like confused clowns. Probably got exactly what he deserved had we been able to see the video from the beginning.
- Dee, London, 13/7/2011 13:05

Cyclists think they own the road, when they pay road tax for their cycles then they can have a voice.
- Mad Bob, Davyhulme, Madchester., Manchester, 13/7/2011 11:08

There was another 2 that admitted to deliberate close driving but I cant find them now. I hope they've been removed.

Angelfishsolo

A Velocipedian

If those were the type of comments you flagged then I'm inclined to agree with the ES people. As ignorant as I find those posts too, it is just comment. Yes, comments provide a soup box for idiots to spout, and is in danger of reinforcing unacceptable behaviour, but the platform is equally there for you to balance that debate. Simply flagging posts you don't agree with as abusive is, well, a bit like running and crying to mummy... sorry, I wanted to phrase that a bit more tactfully but couldn't.

I know it's frustrating (and why I very very rarely bother reading comments on any article) but sometimes you just have to take it in your stride. Sadly, there are idiots. Perhaps I am one too? I'm sure my comments will have some thinking so but, as I say, it is just comment that you can simply disagree with! :laugh:

Replace cyclist with a non Caucasian - You would be inciting racial hatred.

downfader

extimus uero philosophus

If we dont tackle this it wont go away. Remember, their guidelines forbid "innappropriate or abusive comment". So by that are you in agreement that people cant rant off a load of invective that reinforces and encourages similar strains of thought?

At times I do reply and correct, but this is beyond that. We have been targetted and unfairly, and as I said before it all serves to distract from the assault in question

yello

So by that are you in agreement that people cant rant off a load of invective that reinforces and encourages similar strains of thought?

It's a difficult area. You can't control what people think. Imo you have to allow even repugnant views to have a voice even though they may be dangerous. You can't just simply force them to shut up. Their arguments have to be taken head on and taken apart in public - to show everyone else what dangerous idiots they really are. Remove the following rather than drive it underground.

yello

Thinking about it, I think I shouldn't have made my remarks. Not because it's not what I believe, but because I think it derails the more important issue. My views on the subject are less important than the debate on the incident itself.

Top Bottom