I've invented ABS for disc brake bikes.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I invented a time machine because I thought it would be a cool thing to have.

I'm going to invent a time machine in June 2018.

I know the date because I remember precisely when it was that I'm going to do it and the result is stored in my cellar.

Di Canio sacked January 1014 and managing Lazio at the very end of the season. Don't say who told you.

byegad

Legendary Member
I'm going to invent a time machine in June 2018.

I know the date because I remember precisely when it was that I'm going to do it and the result is stored in my cellar.

Di Canio sacked January 1014 and managing Lazio at the very end of the season. Don't say who told you.

Sadly Misusawa beat you to it! See above.

And a number now have linked brakes and abs
Although none that I have ridden

Moto Guzzi (one of the makers of 'proper' bikes), has been linking brakes for decades. For almost all use outside the race track, it is quite the most wonderful thing.

ABS on a motorbicycle is (obviously) silly. But linked brakes are a marvel and a wonder and a Very Good Thing.

Oddly, I've heard loads of "If I hadn't had ABS, I'd be dead" stories from new-generation bikers, just as one heard from drivers when ABS reached affordable cars. All I think when I hear this stuff is that there would be a LOT of dead drivers and motorcyclists were it not for ABS... and how come these 'experienced' road users didn't have their 'near death' incident until AFTER they bought a machine with ABS.... I'm just sayin'.

Dan B

Disengaged member
Oddly, I've heard loads of "If I hadn't had ABS, I'd be dead" stories

See also: "my helmet saved my life"

Dan B

Disengaged member
I like having two independently operated brake systems in case one of them fails. Apart from that, the only real use I've found for a rear brake is when signalling to turn right or riding on loose surfaces

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
All I think when I hear this stuff is that there would be a LOT of dead drivers and motorcyclists were it not for ABS... and how come these 'experienced' road users didn't have their 'near death' incident until AFTER they bought a machine with ABS.... I'm just sayin'.
Perhaps they did, but the ones that got too near to death are no longer around to talk about it! :whistle:

Licramite

Über Member
well I went on other bike sites to see if I could get a reason (as you lot can't come up with one) and it was pritty thin.

you must have two independant systems in case one fails - (I suppose you do have two systems in a car , you have a handbrake , and I have driven an ambulance home from denmark on just the handbrake in the past - so it can be done.)
well just because your brakes are linked doesn't mean they can't be seperately activated - double linkage was common on fighters in ww1, )
you need to apply the brakes in varying pressure - yes thats not difficult to arrange and by linking them you could have a far safer braking system , no chance of just jamming on the front brake in panic and going arse over tit. or just holding the rear brake on a hill and melting the blocks.(as I did the other day - oops!)

you would still need two brake levers, as you still indicate with your arms , if you bother , don't see many cyclist do this they just weave around , its obviuosly gone out of fashion. - some still look behind them before weaving but thats on the wain to.

an effective abs would need a linked system anyway.

but of course that might mean bicycle technology had reached the giddy heights of the 20th century and we wouldn't want that ! (woosy safety bicycle whats wrong with the penny farthing anyway)

Mr Haematocrit

msg me on kik for android
And when I say invented I mean thought it would be cool. I reckon the kit you'd need to make them could be done fairly small and light. I mean what would you need? A power sourcr a servo and a microchip and a sensor. If they can make electronic gears then this should be achievable.
Yet another of my great ideas that I'm giving away almost free to anyone who wants it as long as I get 10p for each unit sold ever and absolutely no responsibility or work or anything like that coz' obviously I'm above that sort of thing.

ABS for bikes has been around for years in one form or another, one such example is budbrake
http://www.budbrake.com

There is also hydraulic systems with abs

Dan B

Disengaged member
, no chance of just jamming on the front brake in panic and going arse over tit. or just holding the rear brake on a hill and melting the blocks.
Well Don't Do That Then

This is a solution in search of a problem, IMO. Though in fairness I have the same opinion on electronic shifting

Top Bottom