I've invented ABS for disc brake bikes.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Licramite

Über Member
ABS for bikes has been around for years in one form or another, one such example is budbrake
http://www.budbrake.com

There is also hydraulic systems with abs

Just before I give up on this line, I want to say thanks to actually contributing something useful,

putting aside the normal insults dumb asses seam to be obliged to put out, or the sanctimonious - well if you braked correctly every time and and other road users never did something stupid why would you need them
or the just plain Luddites , everything is perfect and you mustn't change anything (even though what they are defending to an older Luddite is modern new fangled and unnecessary)

but getting past all that crap, I have actually come out of this one up , as I had been looking for something like a linked abs type system. - so thanks you just made sitting through this boggling stupidity worthwhile.

Dan B

Disengaged member
No linked braking system is going to save you if you're in the habit of grabbing a handful of front brake and going over the bars - unless it comes with a robot arm or airbag to push your body weight back over the rear wheel. Either it will apply rear brake instead, and you will hit whatever you wanted to avoid because the re is no weight on the back wheel and it will slide, or it will apply the front brake, and you'll go flying.

This problem is only fixable by changing the bike geometry (or by learning how to use your brakes). Get a recumbent.

Licramite

Über Member
or - it will apply both brakes automatically in a controlled way to obtain maximum braking power- I think thats what abs is all about. maximum braking power without loosing control.

byegad

Legendary Member
or - it will apply both brakes automatically in a controlled way to obtain maximum braking power- I think thats what abs is all about. maximum braking power without loosing control.

The issue with a linked bike brakes is that the amount of braking you have on the front brake is always more than on the rear, BUT... on a dry seal and chip road in good condition you can have much more braking on the front wheel, which will tend to lift the rear end of the bike, so you need VERY little on the bake brake. AND.. On slick freshly laid tarmac after 10 days of hot sun and 10 minutes of drizzle you can apply hardly any braking to either wheel and what you can apply is much more equal, front to back as you weight hasn't transferred to the front wheel by anywhere near as much.

To link the brakes, even with ABS you need much more than a simple anti-grab sensor on each wheel or you'll get one wheel or the other's ABS cycling like mad in one of the above scenarios.

I have a built-in system for this, it's called my brain and I can and do* brake differentially front to back on different surfaces. I am not stupid enough to grab a big hold on the front brake and go over the top. So I don't need an expensive, and presumably heavy extra system to go wrong. The whole point about a bike is that it's simple and fixable by most riders. Not that it protects you from your own stupidity.

Dan B

Disengaged member
That's all very well, but where are you going to put the unicorn? I suppose it could fly alongside

GrasB

Veteran
so abs doesn't work on motorbikes?
As far as I'm aware ABS doesn't work on motorbikes, ALB does but is miss-marketed as ABS. The two are different but have been so miss-represented & blurred together that ABS means anything which intervenes in braking.

ABS is a system of high frequency cadence braking which modulates by releasing some pressure of the hydraulic pressure created by the brake pedal. In proper motorsport grade ABS the system starts working when a certain hydraulic pressure head is built up & simply oscillates between full & relieved pressure at high frequency. It's possible to have a full uninterrupted multi-wheel lockup while the ABS system is fully active!

The first thing ALB does when it detects a wheel may have partially locked or slipping, eg. turning slower than the road surface is moving past the wheel, (I say may as know of vehicles where the ALB prevented full application of the brakes due to upgraded tyres) is isolation & monitoring of the brake pressure. Hydraulic pressure to the brakes is then reduced until the system detects that the wheel is no longer slipping.

ABL+ABS (what is often referred to as 'ABS') starts off acting like ALB but once the wheel is no longer registering as slipping hydraulic pressure is allowed to build up again until the wheel starts to slip. Once this happens the hydraulic pressure is backed off & the process repeats.

ALB & ALB+ABS works on the assumption that a computer knows the maximum grip available & that that limit can not be exceeded.

OP
OP
Cyclopathic

Cyclopathic

Veteran
ABS for bikes has been around for years in one form or another, one such example is budbrake
http://www.budbrake.com

There is also hydraulic systems with abs

I've also seen a system that runs both cables out of one brake lever which seems very similar in effect to the bud brake system. With the one lever, two cable system you can also weight the power distribution to the brakes to suit your needs. Say 60/40 front rear split. It isn't clear whether or not this is an option with the bud brake system. However the bud brake does seem to be better in respect to being able to be used from either side.

I wasn't familiar with any hydraulic system of abs so will go and have a look.

Besides, if true abs for bikes does exist all it really does is prove the existence of a time machine which some one has used to nip back a ways and pinch my idea. I cannot think of a single other explaination for this.

Mr Haematocrit

msg me on kik for android
TRP was testing ABS on some of their hydraulic kit a while back. It's not made production though but I have photos of it at home (at work atm) if your interested.

Licramite

Über Member
That's all very well, but where are you going to put the unicorn? I suppose it could fly alongside
Unicorns don't fly they are just a horse thats a bit horny , pegusis fly.
I'm sold on bud brake as mine totally let me down this week, back brake wouldn't hold and front brake I only had to look at it and it wanted to throw me over the bars. (try setting them up correctly you numpty!)

Licramite

Über Member
I'm for inflatable lycra , I won't say were you put the co2 tube, (athough my lycra already looks like its inflated)

well I'm putting my money were my mouth is (crys of astonishment - and smashing of piggy bank ) and buying this budbrake system, I will let you know If it's any good.

Top Bottom