I've just bought a slow cooker ... give me your recipe ideas

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Randomnerd

Bimbleur
Ox cheeks. Very slow braise with, say, red wine and juniper, finished off with a scatter of seasonal veg. Buttery mash. Hmmm. Autumn.

You can get them in a range of sizes also, but I'd just get a larger one, even if someone lives alone just make a few meals worth at a time. As far as the goodness goes, in my mind the nutrients/vitamins that are released from say the veg in a stew or such made are released into the sauce that is still part of the meal. It's not like cooking them to death in water and then just discarding them etc. But that may just be the way I see it.

I don't think they are a very energy efficient way of cooking, if that's something anyone worries about, but throw veg, meat and tinned tomatoes in, top up with water, put on low setting and go out for the day.. then when you return have a taste and add seasoning/gravy granules etc whatever you'd normally thicken/add flavour with and hey presto.... tasty every time. ....

The pressure cooker is the opposite - water can reach a higher temperature before boiling under high pressure and then cooks things faster. They're great also in their own right, but are completely different (well, you can always get them up to temp/pressure then turn off and leave I suppose)

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
Slow cooked leg of mouse

What dish is this below?
large-bull-moose-at-stream.jpg
9453121.jpg

Answer.... Moussaka. Get it? Moose,haka!^_^ :whistle:

Joey Shabadoo

My pronouns are "He", "Him" and "buggerlugs"
Stovies!

A pound of beef, pork, mutton or whatever fried up with onions until brown then added to a pint of beef stock. Cook overnight. Add lots of potatoes cut into roughly one inch cubes, lots and lots of them, some carrots, some peas, salt, pepper. Cook on a low heat for about six hours until the liquid is all gone.

Serve with beetroot and oatcakes for some of the bestest, most fillingest comfort food ever.

pjd57

Veteran
I just put ours in the bin today.
It had been in a box in the kitchen cupboard since we moved house over 5 years ago.

We're a bit short of cupboard space so it's time was up.

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
A full English breakfast cooked in a slow cooker.
"
Slow-cooker breakfast creator shocked by recipe's popularity
A slow-cooker enthusiast who shared a recipe for cooking a full English breakfast overnight says she is shocked by the response it has received online.

Sonia Cheetham, 36, came up with the idea to save time when cooking for her two daughters at the weekends.

The recipe appeared on a Facebook page dedicated to slow-cooker tips and has since been shared tens of thousands of times.

Ms Cheetham, from Little Fransham, Norfolk, is "overwhelmed" by the recipe's success - and staff at a local garage were impressed, too.

The recipe sees the ingredients put in separate mugs, which are then placed into the centre of the cooker. The sausages are stood up, alongside the bacon.

A knob of butter is added to the mushrooms and the eggs, before the slow cooker is turned on to a low heat and left overnight for about nine hours"

• 02 Oct 2018

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/uk-en...akfast-creator-shocked-by-recipe-s-popularity

Last edited:
Top Bottom