I've just bought a slow cooker ... give me your recipe ideas

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Why don't you go over to Shaun's sister site for ideas here.

They're almost as friendly over there as on CC - and much more multi-cultural!

Lamb shank
Oxtail
Shin or blade of beef

brown in frying pan. Place on top of veg. Leave veg in large pieces, eg large carrots 2" long, onions quartered.
Stock/wine. Sometimes I cover with liquid but partial cover allows meat to slowly bake.
Herbs and spices etc. Sometimes a can of tomatoes.
It takes about 30 mins to prepare before breakfast and is ready when I get home in the evening. Great for when I have students to feed or dinner guests.

Stovies!

Add lots of potatoes cut into roughly one inch cubes, lots and lots of them, some carrots, some peas, salt, pepper. Cook on a low heat for about six hours until the liquid is all gone.
I find that smaller cut veg can go mushy. Uncut new potatoes work well. Large ones cut to 1-2" size.

Electric_Andy

Heavy Metal Fan
My accidental meal the other week:

Lamb bones (£1) - brown in a skillet
Add lamb bones to bottom of slow cooker.
Chuck in celery, carrot, onion, mushrooms, aubergine (optional)
Brown a nice leg of lamb and add on top.
De-glaze the skillet with red wine, make this up with lamb stock and pour in. Add some rosemary.
Cook on low for (I did 10 hours) at least 5 hours.

Take your meat and veg out, then blitz the gravy with a blender and thicken.

It was lovely with creamy mash

Arjimlad

Tights of Cydonia
Ours is or has been used for : -

Gammon joint - just bung it in dry, cook on auto all day no extra fluid or anything
Beef joint - as above - just chuck it in & switch on.
Lasagne - can finish off in the oven to brown the top layer
Beef stew & dumplings - put the dumplings in an hour before serving.
Goose breast tagine - marinaded whole Canada goose breast in curry spices and olive oil for 24 hours then cooked with a tagine recipe. Delicious.
Oxtail stew
Sausage stew
Rabbit rogan
Pigeon breasts on the bone in a stew
Chilli chicken

Endless possibilities !

tony111

Veteran
Ours was worth it's weight in gold a few years ago. What started as a chicken casserole ended up feeding me and my 2 girls for nearly 2 weeks. My wife was rushed into hospital and with me spending a lot of time there I wasn't able to provide fresh meals, so we just fed ourselves every day from the pot, and topped it up with veg etc, keeping it on a low setting. Delicious.

Dave7

Legendary Member
Our best ever curry last week.
Lamb. Cut into bite size pieces then sealed in fry pan
Mushrooms and onions......also done in fry pan.
Into slow cooker along with spices, 400mm of water and a can of tomatoes.
Slow cook for 6 hours then cooled down and into the fridge overnight.
Next day.....micro wave what we needed and enjoyed with rice and naan. Double yummy.

classic33

Leg End Member
Randy's Slow Cooker Ravioli Lasagna

1 pound ground beef
1 tablespoon chopped garlic
1 teaspoon garlic powder
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon ground blac pepper
2 (24 ounce) jars prepared pasta sauce
1 teaspoon Italian seasoni
1 teaspoon dried basil
1 teaspoon dried oregano
1 (25 ounce) package froze cheese ravioli
2 cups shredded mozzarel cheese

1. Heat a large skillet over medium-high heat. Cook and stir beef, garlic, garlic powder, salt, and pepper in the hot skillet until meat is browned and crumbly, 5 to 7 minutes. Drain and discard grease. Stir pasta sauce, Italian seasoning,basil, and oregano into ground beef mixture.
2. Ladle a generous layer of meat sauce into the bottom of a slow cooker; add a layer of ravioli. Ladle another layer of meat sauce over ravioli layer; alternate with remaining ravioli and meat sauce until all ingredients are used.
3. Cook on Low for 3 to 5 hours. Sprinkle ravioli mixture with mozzarella cheese and continue cooking until cheese is melted, 45 minutes to 1 hour more.

https://www.allrecipes.com/recipe/234397/randys-slow-cooker-ravioli-lasagna/

mybike

Grumblin at Garmin on the Granny Gear
Ox cheek, cooked overnight in porter plus an oinion. Add stewing steak after 6 hours then mushrooms for last hour. Salt and pepper to taste. The liquid needs thickening, last time I used 3 tablespoons of flour!

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
What dish is this below?
View attachment 432723
9453121.jpg

Answer.... Moussaka. Get it? Moose,haka!^_^ :whistle:
Yellow card!

Cuchilo

Prize winning member X2
Used mine today to do roast beef . Put it on about 9am and just boiled up some spuds with peas around 7 this evening . Used the juice to make the gravy mmmmmmmmm
Its made me think about getting my Mum one as she still rather disabled after her stroke last year . My stepdad has only just gone back to work and this seems like an ideal safe way for her to slowly prepare a nice evening meal for them both .

Top Bottom