I've just bought a slow cooker ... give me your recipe ideas

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Joey Shabadoo

My pronouns are "He", "Him" and "buggerlugs"
Stovies!

A pound of beef, pork, mutton or whatever fried up with onions until brown then added to a pint of beef stock. Cook overnight. Add lots of potatoes cut into roughly one inch cubes, lots and lots of them, some carrots, some peas, salt, pepper. Cook on a low heat for about six hours until the liquid is all gone.

Serve with beetroot and oatcakes for some of the bestest, most fillingest comfort food ever.

Dammit I've been thinking about stovies ever since mentioning them here so tonight...

20181005_222711.jpg

Cuchilo

Prize winning member X2
Dammit I've been thinking about stovies ever since mentioning them here so tonight...

View attachment 432915
That just looks like a stew without the carrots and peas :unsure:

Joey Shabadoo

My pronouns are "He", "Him" and "buggerlugs"
That just looks like a stew without the carrots and peas :unsure:

Only partially through the cooking though. You keep going until all the liquid is gone then sorta smoosh it up. People put carrots and peas in later so they don't disappear. I have to admit it's not very photogenic.

guitarpete247

Just about surviving
Just went to end of thread so if anyone else has put chicken sorry.
We put some cut up carrots at the bottom them put chicken on top of them. Lemon zest and juice plus ground pepper rubbed into skin. Then the remains of lemon placed in the body cavity.
We then go out for a few hours.
Upon return the tenderest, still moist, chicken. It falls off the bone full of flavour.
The carrots retain their shape and are well cooked.

SpokeyDokey

67, & my GP says I will officially be old at 70!
I like meat, and I like veg, and I like stews, and I like soups and I like all kinds of international food too ... would love to hear your best recipe ideas!!

Now buy some of these (other suppliers are available) - we've just started using them and they are absolutely brilliant. Saves an awful lot of hassle on the cleaning front. Plus, with the addition of a small zip tie you can just check excess contents in the fridge awaiting the next meal.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00TOR2...t=&hvlocphy=9046716&hvtargid=pla-420235817670

Dave7

Legendary Member
Now buy some of these (other suppliers are available) - we've just started using them and they are absolutely brilliant. Saves an awful lot of hassle on the cleaning front. Plus, with the addition of a small zip tie you can just check excess contents in the fridge awaiting the next meal.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00TOR2...t=&hvlocphy=9046716&hvtargid=pla-420235817670
I use them every time.
For some strange reason Mrs D does not use them then spends ages cleaning the pot :blush:

SpokeyDokey

67, & my GP says I will officially be old at 70!
Aren't we trying to reduce the unnecessary use of plastics though?

Ok ok, I could do better. :smile:

But, in mitigation, I feel I can offset this slight transgression against the two German Autobahn Storming Mega-Beasts that used to occupy the drive being replaced by a single teensy-weensy little 3-pot (again German) urban runabout.

Wadya reckon?

Dave7

Legendary Member
Aren't we trying to reduce the unnecessary use of plastics though?
Have to agree with you but I guess the tiny bit of very thin film is less polluting than the detergent used to clean it.
I may be totally wrong but its my excuse.

Top Bottom