I've never been camping

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Seriously.

What's it like?

I forsee two problems.

1) I don't like being alone in the dark

2) I get claustrophobic

Thus I must be mad as I'm about to go camping on my own in a tiny tent on a small camp site on salisbury plain.

I'm thinking this is probably the best time of year to do it, as there's only about 6.5 hours of darkness and there's a pub nextdoor.

Also I'm considering buying some cooking equipment just to get a feel for the camping experience.

Have my eye on this, what do you think for £20?

http://www.google.co.uk/products?oe...a=X&oi=product_result_group&resnum=1&ct=title

or maybe this. Although bit out of my price range.
http://www.simplyhike.co.uk/ProductDetails.aspx?StockID=23185

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
Can't advise you on the cooking side... as I've only ever camped from a car - so less of a space/weight issue.

The first time I tried as an adult was 6 months after my youngest was born... and I've doing it ever since. For kids it gives them that freedom to explore that they don't get as much of in the city. We didn't take much because we weren't sure we were going to like it but ended up having to buy saucepans (proper kitchen one complete with handle)/kettle from the campsite so that we could have a hot drink. Then buying again to buy camping ones afterwards.

What about trying it in your own garden first where if you really don't like the dark/space you can retreat indoors again?

Sittingduck

Legendary Member
Riverman said:
I forsee two problems.

1) I don't like being alone in the dark

2) I get claustrophobic

Now, I ain't Mystic Meg but I forsee that parhaps camping isn't for you :biggrin:
Why not enquire about lodgings at the boozer next door? :biggrin:

Start off near home with plenty of home comforts - great big air mattress, duvet, pick a good fine night, leave the front of the tent open and sleep with your head at that end - you will find that in a tent you are not in a small space at all but just part of a wonderful great big space and that it never gets dark

john59

Guru
As for camping it does take time to become accustomed to the noises etc. All sounds from outside seem a lot louder when your inside your tent. I think it would help if you could get someone to go with you, either sharing or using their own tent. Here are a couple of pictures of my own tent and the Trangia stove with gas converter.

Camping-France-01.jpg

Trangia-01.jpg

I’ve used a Trangia stove over a number of years and they are a great piece of kit. The gas burner, an addition, can give you better control of the flame when cooking. The spirit burner is ok but it does lack any great control over heat output.

Best of luck, John

andrew_s

Legendary Member
Riverman said:
Also I'm considering buying some cooking equipment just to get a feel for the camping experience.

Have my eye on this, what do you think for £20?

http://www.google.co.uk/products?oe...a=X&oi=product_result_group&resnum=1&ct=title

or maybe this. Although bit out of my price range.
http://www.simplyhike.co.uk/ProductDetails.aspx?StockID=23185

The Crux Lite set is the £60 one. The £20 hits are all for just the pan set with no stove. That pan set is aimed at someone who wants to take the absolute minimum for hot drinks/soup etc. It's not really big enough to cook in except in a limited way.

For gas, and keeping cost to a minimum, I'd suggest a burner like this Gelert (£12), and a somewhat larger pan set like this (£15). A canister footrest can be handy to reduce the chances of knocking it over.

There's always a fair bit of debate about what's the best cooking gear, and the Trangias have a dedicated following. Generally speaking, they take twice as long to boil a pan of water for a brew (7 min instead of 3.5), but that doesn't make all that much difference if you are simmering your pasta for 10 mins. Turning the heat up or down is more difficult. They are very stable and hard to knock over. They are relatively unaffected by wind, whereas a gas stove can struggle to boil water at all if it's windy enough and you haven't got a good wind shield.

gavintc

Guru
I have camped most of my life and on occasion we break from tradition and decide to a have a comfy couple of nights during the summer holiday. We both miss the relaxed approach to camping, the BBQ, the ease of fresh air. No, we both love camping and despite alternatives we keep coming back to it.

So, if I you are a beginner, choose good weather, choose a site with good loos and showers. Borrow kit from friends and relax - if you are nervous about sleeping out - have some wine.

Amanda P

Legendary Member
My job involves sometimes working outdoors, in the middle of nowhere, at night.

Every year, we take on two sandwich students. A large proportion of these have admitted to being nervous of being alone at night. They get used to it - they find that, after a few minutes, your eyes get used to it, and it's almost never completely dark. It just seems that way when you first step outside from a lit room or when you turn the car headlights off. (Plus someone reassuring is on the other end of a walkie-talkie).

Claustrophobia shouldn't be a problem if you sleep with your tent door open. On the other hand, I've known a few people who found looking up at the stars quite spooky and agoraphobic...

Randochap

Senior hunter
I'll leave the technical advice to others, but I'd just like to add that we human animals share our heritage will all the other creatures of this amazing planet.

Of course, we have a healthy, inborn fear of the night dating back to our life in the forest, among other creatures that competed to eat us before we could do the same to them.

David Quammen has explored this concept wonderfully in his book Monster of God: the man-eating predator in the jungles of history and the mind‎.

I highly recommend his book and the struggle to overcome your phobia. After all, England's human population long ago exterminated all the flesh-eating monsters that posed equal threat and competition for meat resources in it's forests (also reduced to tamed remnants). You therefore, logically, have nothing to fear but other wild humans.

My recommendation would be to plan your camp further away from the pub.

I have just last night returned from a trip supporting a bicycle marathon that took riders across the backbone of Vancouver Island, through some of the last remaining temperate forests, to the wild outer Pacific shores and back.

The photo below records one of several bruin sightings along the way, which also included the always-threatening sow with two cubs in tow. It's spring, so they are all by the roadside, chewing on fresh sprouts (hopefully not fresh cyclists!).

When I camp, it is the knowledge that I share the forest with these great creatures that humbles me and returns me temporarily, from my mundane city existence, to the vast, natural web of life and all its visceral dangers and joys.

I don't mean to minimize your concerns -- I'm sure they are real to you -- but you have little to fear in reality and you owe yourself a night away from the glare of human habitation, under the big roof of the heavens, where great civilizations and "primitive" villages alike, have contemplated their place in the web of the universe.

That is the supreme gift of camping.

OP
OP
Riverman

Riverman

Guru
Thanks guys.

I think I'll get over the whole fear thing. I think one of the interests I have doesn't help my anxiety much but I won't go into what that is.

I agree Randomchap. It's very much going back to how we used to live, something we have mostly forgotten.

The fear of the dark thing I think goes further than just being outdoors. It also comes from our ancesters experience of being indoors too. It must have been terrifying living in a dark cave with the possibility that you could be mauled alive by a massive cave bear.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cave_bear
http://aerobiologicalengineering.com/wxk116/StoneAge/CaveBears/

Wat a load of cobble, look buy a small tent a couple of small pots an pans a kettle a double gas burner and small gas bottle or two small stoves with butane from ur local diy, halfords, caravan/camping suppliers, run to the nearest woods, enjoy the ride pitch tent cook a meal hav a can chill out relax watch the stars and enjoy. dont go to far from home that way if u 4get something (TIN OPENER) u know nxt time. nxt trip take wat u 4got, easy oh dont 4get ur food (packet pasta, rice energy food an gas)

OP
OP
Riverman

Riverman

Guru
Should probably point out that I live on my own. I'm obviously not troubled about being on my own in the dark lol.

It's being on my own outside in the middle of nowhere in the dark. I guess it's just fear of the unknown.

Amanda P

Legendary Member
So feel the fear and do it anyway.

Nothing untoward will happen, so next time,you'll be less wary, and so on. Before you know it you won't want ever to sleep indoors again.

Top Bottom