IYKYK - phrases you use some won’t understand

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
Jiggle it Granville

Profpointy

Legendary Member
"Huge as office blocks, silent as birds, they hung in the air the same way bricks don't" HHG

"I'll never be cruel to a gin & tonic again" HHG (Tom baker's version in Pirate Planet, "I'll never be cruel to a particle accelerator...")

"The more you overthink the plumbing, the easier it is to stop up the drain" Montgomery Scott circa 2370(ish)

"the Pirate Planet" was a brilliant story, penned by the late great Douglas Adams as I'm sure you're aware. The initially comedic seeming pirate captain is a truly scary adversary, and the almost casual near destruction of Earth is horrifying, and yet there's a poignance in the relationship between him and his No1, the Uriah Heapish Mr Fibulli, who he relentlessly bullies and yet is his only friend. One of the very best of the Tom Baker era I think, and the stand out story from the (generally rather good) key to time story arc.

(This posting comes to you from Planet Geek, in the Constellation of Sad and Lonely)

captain nemo1701

Space cadet. Deck 42 Main Engineering.
"the Pirate Planet" was a brilliant story, penned by the late great Douglas Adams as I'm sure you're aware. The initially comedic seeming pirate captain is a truly scary adversary, and the almost casual near destruction of Earth is horrifying, and yet there's a poignance in the relationship between him and his No1, the Uriah Heapish Mr Fibulli, who he relentlessly bullies and yet is his only friend. One of the very best of the Tom Baker era I think, and the stand out story from the (generally rather good) key to time story arc.

(This posting comes to you from Planet Geek, in the Constellation of Sad and Lonely)

Did you see Jodie Whitakers final episode of her first season?....Pirate Planet without the jokes. In fact, that season did nick a few story ideas from the 70's. 'Arachnids in the UK' was 'The Green Death' rerun in Sheffield only without maggots.

Profpointy

Legendary Member
Did you see Jodie Whitakers final episode of her first season?....Pirate Planet without the jokes. In fact, that season did nick a few story ideas from the 70's. 'Arachnids in the UK' was 'The Green Death' rerun in Sheffield only without maggots.

Bit of a stretch I think. The Pirate was casually destroying earth to mine for quartz, which made it all the more horrifying, and maybe incidental to the main plot, albeit introducing major peril. Jodie's episode was targeting earth for revenge, which isn't quite the same.

captain nemo1701

Space cadet. Deck 42 Main Engineering.
Bit of a stretch I think. The Pirate was casually destroying earth to mine for quartz, which made it all the more horrifying, and maybe incidental to the main plot, albeit introducing major peril. Jodie's episode was targeting earth for revenge, which isn't quite the same.

Miniaturised planets?....Mining quartz...he could have just bought some sand from B&Q :okay:

Ratchet Cat

Veteran
I'll have a P please Bob.

Venod

Eh up
I don't know about not understanding it.
But I have quoted this to people several times.
Life is a journey to be enjoyed along the way, not when you reach your destination.
Plus, There's no pockets in shrouds.

Electric_Andy

Heavy Metal Fan
[scouse accent] "yeah I know]". Always use it when i clearly haven't understood something, and then It's explained to me, and I pretend that I understood it all along. For those not in the know, it's from the Lou and Andy sketch from Little Britain. I've used it so much that my partner has actually banned me from saying it

Top Bottom