JOGLE tyre choice

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

hoopdriver

Guru
Hmmm. I have ridden many thousands of miles in rural Australia where cattle grids are common and I can tell you it is quite easy to catch a wheel, especially when it is wet and slippery, and down you go - a bent wheel being the best of your possible outcomes. Walking across costs you - what? - fifteen seconds? And eliminates risk of your damaging your bike or yourself and ending your tour.

I am not risk averse where risk can't be avoided. I commuted for years in Melbourne where tram tracks are a very real and present danger and rode across them regularly (an acquired skill) since there was no practical alternative in the rush of traffic. A cattle grid on a country road when I am on a tour enjoying the countryside - where's the need to get macho?

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
My bike handling skills are modest which makes me very cautious over cattlegrids.

However, my latest bike has podgy 2.4" Schwalbe Moto X tyres.

They take cattlegrids in their stride, even with me riding.

Big T

Guru
Hmmm. I have ridden many thousands of miles in rural Australia where cattle grids are common and I can tell you it is quite easy to catch a wheel, especially when it is wet and slippery, and down you go - a bent wheel being the best of your possible outcomes. Walking across costs you - what? - fifteen seconds? And eliminates risk of your damaging your bike or yourself and ending your tour.

I am not risk averse where risk can't be avoided. I commuted for years in Melbourne where tram tracks are a very real and present danger and rode across them regularly (an acquired skill) since there was no practical alternative in the rush of traffic. A cattle grid on a country road when I am on a tour enjoying the countryside - where's the need to get macho?

I've ridden over hundreds of cattle grids, they are quite frequent in the Peak District and even closer to where I live. I've never had a problem.

Your argument could easily be applied to potholes, which are more likely to damage your tyres and wheels, so do you carry your bike over them too? Or perhaps you don't have potholes in Australia?

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
So go for the 32s like a shot (as @mrj has said).
Learn to type, else I'll start calling you a typo too and it'll be far worse :tongue:

Perhaps you might conduct a survey on a frequently cycled road with a cattle grid, and see what percentage just ride across? I'm suggesting this percentage will be high.
It depends on the cattle grids. I ride across many, but others (the ones south of Holkham Hall come to mind) are uncomfortable in the dry and I'd probably walk over them in the wet.

Your argument could easily be applied to potholes, which are more likely to damage your tyres and wheels, so do you carry your bike over them too?
You can usually ride around potholes. By their very purpose, cattle grids don't often have an easy way to avoid them.

hoopdriver

Guru
I've ridden over hundreds of cattle grids, they are quite frequent in the Peak District and even closer to where I live. I've never had a problem.

Your argument could easily be applied to potholes, which are more likely to damage your tyres and wheels, so do you carry your bike over them too? Or perhaps you don't have potholes in Australia?
Perhaps you're not aware that bicycles can be steered and by this means potholes can be avoided. That's what the handlebars are for. Not just to hold on to. The very nature and purpose of cattle grids are that they stretch across the road completely, with fences abutting them. These cannot be avoided.

Bodhbh

Guru
My bike handling skills are modest which makes me very cautious over cattlegrids.

However, my latest bike has podgy 2.4" Schwalbe Moto X tyres...

I'm the same, I don't pretent to be any great shakes in the handling department, however the smallest tyres I run are 35mm and I've never had much bother with em.

Big T

Guru
Perhaps you're not aware that bicycles can be steered and by this means potholes can be avoided. That's what the handlebars are for. Not just to hold on to. The very nature and purpose of cattle grids are that they stretch across the road completely, with fences abutting them. These cannot be avoided.

You've obviously not seen some of the potholes around here!

Ajax Bay

Guru
in rural Australia where cattle grids are common and I can tell you it is quite easy to catch a wheel, especially when it is wet and slippery, and down you go . . . . Walking across costs you - what? - fifteen seconds? And eliminates risk of your damaging your bike or yourself and ending your tour.
I am not risk averse where risk can't be avoided. . . . A cattle grid on a country road when I am on a tour enjoying the countryside - where's the need to get macho?
Do you ever ride a cross a cattle grid? If so did you go down? Have I? - yes (sorry could not possibly quantify the number but only half a dozen during yesterday's hundred miler. Have I fallen? - not yet. Have I stumbled running (ie on foot) over a cattle grid? - Yes. What did I learn? - Take more care next time.
Walking across cattle grid is dangerous ie it involves significant risk, especially in road cleats. If the metal bars are wet/slippery then the bike you are having to push across is more likely to slip sideways and you may fall and injure yourself, and damage the bike, let alone the significant risk of one's foot slipping on/through the bars, a bruised ankle "being the best of your possible outcomes". The bike's wheels are more likely to slip, ceteris paribus, than if you ride across (one tenth, say, the normal force cf a ridden bike).
Again making the choice to walk across isn't 'wrong' but the best advice to others is to highlight the increased risk of riding across a cattle grid (as opposed to just on a potholed road) and what measures you can take to mitigate that risk (listed in my earlier post, plus riding at right angles to the bars) and invite the rider to make a (simple) dynamic risk assessment as he/she approaches each cattle grid, taking into account their individual risk tolerance threshold. There is nothing 'macho' in riding across a cattle grid: it's normal behaviour, for the majority of cyclists, I believe.

hoopdriver

Guru
Gee, I am so relieved to hear that my choice to walk my bike over cattle grids isn't 'wrong' merely misguided. What a lucky fellow I am to have it all explained to me like that. Next...

Perhaps we could get back on topic?

Last edited:

Ajax Bay

Guru
I current use Continental Grand Prix 4 season 28mm tyres . . . is it worth the extra couple of £ for the 32mm version?
the GP4 Season is a fine tyre (I use them on my road bike) and I would not hesitate to use it for a tour. The 32s will give you a much nicer ride than the 28s.
Continental GP 4 Seasons are excellent (as the OP has discovered) . . . So go for the 32s like a shot
Perhaps we could get back on topic?
Is there more to be said? Q: (If you have a frame that will take them) would 32mm Continental GP 4 Seasons be better than 28s for JOGLE in August with (light) panniers?
Yes. More comfortable, even at the same pressure; little difference in rolling resistance; a bit heavier, but insignificant in the context of a 90+kg load (ie rider, bike and load); same grip; same puncture 'resistance'; minimal extra cost.

hoopdriver

Guru
Pity. But I suspect you're right.

Here's a thought: maybe we could pour oil on troubled flames by stridently suggesting which helmet one should wear when riding across cattle grids in the rain? :smile:

But yes - 32mm Conti GP4 seasons will do famously.

Big T

Guru
Vittoria Hypers/Randonneurs? I use 25mm 4 seasons on my winter bike but I think they'd be a bit fragile for fully loaded touring, even in 32mm mode, unless you really are travelling light.

Re: Helmet - Spesh Echelon!!!

Last edited:

hoopdriver

Guru
Vittoria Hypers/Randonneurs? I use 25mm 4 seasons on my winter bike but I think they'd be a bit fragile for fully loaded touring, even in 32mm mode, unless you really are travelling light.

Re: Helmet - Spesh Echelon!!!
I agree. If I was going fully loaded - camping etc - I would probably opt for a heavier-duty tyre, Schwalbe Marathon Plus being my preferred option for heavy-duty touring.

With LEJOG you can travel quite light, though, if you stay in B&Bs, hostels etc. I did it with just a bar bag and Carradice Super-C (23 litre) saddlebag. No need to go heavy.

Top Bottom