JOGLE tyre choice

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Ajax Bay

Guru
I am doing JOGLE in August on a GT Grade adventure bike, I current use Continental Grand Prix 4 season 28mm tyres,
I think they'd be a bit fragile for fully loaded touring, even in 32mm mode, unless you really are travelling light.
If I was going fully loaded - camping etc - I would probably opt for a heavier-duty tyre, Schwalbe Marathon Plus
@Roger you've had the consensus on 32 v 28 but for anything further we need to know whether you're camping (and therefore carrying a load) or B&B/YHing. I went solo unsupported and did not camp (nor was equipped to) and carried about 6kg on a rack, on Continental Grand Prix 4 Seasons 28s (which measured 26.5mm). I would have fitted 32s if they'd fitted under my mudguards.

mcshroom

Bionic Subsonic
GP4 seasons would probably be fine in either width. I'd probably prefer 32s for comfort, but I don't know if the construction changes on the GPs as they get wider (there's a noticeable change between 32mm and 35mm Schwalbe Marathons in that respect)

As for cattle grids, I have to cross at least two every time I commute (I can add two more if I take a slightly different route). I just line them up and freewheel over them. 7 years in and I've not had any problems with them so far.

burntoutbanger

Veteran
12 cattle grids successfully negotiated on Dartmoor today, one at about 40mph (it would have been more dangerous to try stopping). Just line 'em up, rise out of the saddle and loose hands.

The 40mph one wouldn't have been coming down from Haytor into Bovey Tracey by any chance? I've been over that both uphill and
downhill and also never had a problem.

Big T

Guru
There currently a thread on the CTC forum about a guy who was touring in Spain and suffered bad cuts in his GP4S's. I would question whether they are up to full on touring, unless you are carrying a minimal load.

https://forum.cyclinguk.org/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=115233

Unless speed is of the essence on your Lejog, then I would be using something a bit more substantial. I used Maxxis touring tyres and my wife used Marathon Plusses for our Jogle. We didn't have a single puncture, though I did have to change a tube due to a faulty valve.

mfpnl

[I am doing JOGLE in August on a GT Grade adventure bike...]

I suppose your choice of route will have a bearing on your choice of tyres.

My son and I finished LEJOG on Sunday riding Airminal Joeys shod with Schwalbe Marathons (24 x1.75) running at 60psi. We were self-supporting camping/hosteling so had a fair bit of gear. We covered 1220 miles and had two punctures (one pinch, one penetration) - both in rear wheels. The tyres were 'worn in' when we set off - but still had plenty of life left. Had the tyres been new (i.e. 'Plus'), we could have probably avoided punctures all together.

We did a mixture of Sustrans and Cicerone. Although we really enjoyed the traffic-free sections, I have to say that the surfaces of some of the sections were at the limits of what I'd consider suitable for a 'touring style' tyres. And yes, lots of cattle grids. We never have any problem with them - although obviously treat them with caution, particularly in the wet. We took spare inners, but I wouldn't bother taking a spare tyre - particularly on standard size wheels - there are some great cycle shops en route.

Ajax Bay

Guru
There currently a thread on the CTC forum about a guy who was touring in Spain and suffered bad cuts in his GP4S's. I would question whether they are up to full on touring, unless you are carrying a minimal load.
https://forum.cyclinguk.org/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=115233
Unless speed is of the essence on your Lejog, then I would be using something a bit more substantial.
And in the CTC post the guy said: "on a recent tour of Spain due to poor road conditions (sharp gravel). . . . brand new Continental GP4s. They are still in good condition other than each have a small puncture hole [side wall]. . . . it just wasn't up to the road conditions but would be fine as a U.K. Summer tyre"
The idea that GP4S are not up to it (ie an end-to-end on roads and some cycle paths) is, in my view, erroneous. My experience of sequential sets of 28mm GP4S have been entirely positive, with 8000km each time on the front and about 5000km for the tyre used on the rear, on rural roads and A roads, with cycle tracks, 'farm roads' and worse (eg cross country over Bodmin Moor in summer) thrown in occasionally. And the rollingresistance review highlights the excellent tread and sidewall puncture resistance scores, compared to other road tyres. And their sidewall score (7) is better than most 'tour' tyres: the Marathon Greenguard and Plus score 8.
If you are 'fully loaded' then you are unlikely to be running 28mm tyres anyway, are you? Marathons or Voyagers would be my choice for a loaded long road tour.

Last edited:

snorri

Legendary Member
It's only a thousand miles, and there are bike shops all over the place, so there is absolutely no need to take a spare tyre with you.......just 2 or 3 spare tubes..
This is all that needs to be said:smile:.

Paulus

Started young, and still going.
I'm looking for a new pair of touring tyres at the moment, and I have come to the conclusion via this thread that Schwalbe Marathon or conti.4 seasons are the way forward. Is there any real difference between the Marathon Plus and the ordinary Marathon with "greenguard" other than the price?
Edit, Just seen the post by Ajax Bay above.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Is there any real difference between the Marathon Plus and the ordinary Marathon with "greenguard" other than the price?
Edit, Just seen the post by Ajax Bay above.
Don't know what that edit relates to, so here's an answer: Marathon Plus have tougher sidewalls than plain Marathon (currently the Greenguard). Whether that matters depends on how often you feel you get sidewall punctures (nearly all of mine are centre-tread) and how much you hate stiffer tyres (as tougher sidewalls mean a stiffer ride).

Top Bottom