Just back from A&E

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Still in, hoping to get out today.

Noisy crackers guy left yesterday, replaced by a patient who fell in another ward and broke his hip. He snores on every breath in and moans with every breath out. Poor bugger is in agony, I feel really sorry for him.

Hope you get out. I had 6 1/2 weeks.

Guy nearly dead from a massive bleed next to me, guy opposite thinking his broken arm was 'worse' than the poor guy nearly popping off (later that day), same 'old rude guy' being horrible to the nurses, me telling him to behave, and said old rude guy goading me (very nearly got out of bed and threw him out of hospital). Usual dementia patients, kept awake for weeks by the poor guy opposite - didn't know where he was, broken spine, kept wandering - I managed to get him to sit down and wait for a nurse (this went on for weeks). Old lady that kept coming in being abusive, and hitting nurses, old miserable bugger next to me, lady lit a ciggy whilst on oxygen, ward over full so one poor patient in the middle for a few nights.

Let's say, when they said I could go, I upped and went - even left without my big bag of prescription medicine as the pharmacy was shut. The staff were great, the patients, not so.

OP
OP
glasgowcyclist

glasgowcyclist

Charming but somewhat feckless
Hope you get out. I had 6 1/2 weeks.

Guy nearly dead from a massive bleed next to me, guy opposite thinking his broken arm was 'worse' than the poor guy nearly popping off (later that day), same 'old rude guy' being horrible to the nurses, me telling him to behave, and said old rude guy goading me (very nearly got out of bed and threw him out of hospital). Usual dementia patients, kept awake for weeks by the poor guy opposite - didn't know where he was, broken spine, kept wandering - I managed to get him to sit down and wait for a nurse (this went on for weeks). Old lady that kept coming in being abusive, and hitting nurses, old miserable bugger next to me, lady lit a ciggy whilst on oxygen, ward over full so one poor patient in the middle for a few nights.

Let's say, when they said I could go, I upped and went - even left without my big bag of prescription medicine as the pharmacy was shut. The staff were great, the patients, not so.
Mine has been a very similar experience although on a much smaller scale.

Can't understand people being abusive to staff, who do all they can to help.

GWS GC - Sounds awful -

A few things
1.Its your arm - so speak up if you want something - or feel something isn't right.

2.Things do get lost in the NHS - so chase your follow ups - you can insist on the seeing the consultant - increasingly these days a nurse does follow ups - nowt wrong with that - but don't be fobbed off

As an aside, reading the thread was glad that you got the plated early on - it seems to be a trend in the NHS to move away from surgery - which has some merit - but IMO it has swung to far that way.

I was in fecking agony last October with my back - I was refused a pain killing injection, and sent a long to a relaxation class - I was lying on my back which was throbin like someone had stuck a hot poker in it - then some Pratt was telling me to relax and breathe away the pain !!

Further investigation revealed that further intervention could only be considered if I been in considerable pain for 12 months - and resulting surgeries had a very low success rate - reading some of the post above - I wonder if waiting 12 months limits the chances of success.

.......Anyway think you deserve a new bike when you are recovered - the old one sounds dangerous...

fossyant

I was in fecking agony last October with my back - I was refused a pain killing injection, and sent a long to a relaxation class - I was lying on my back which was throbin like someone had stuck a hot poker in it - then some Pratt was telling me to relax and breathe away the pain !!

Further investigation revealed that further intervention could only be considered if I been in considerable pain for 12 months - and resulting surgeries had a very low success rate - reading some of the post above - I wonder if waiting 12 months limits the chances of success.

All I'll say, is if they are telling you the surgery is 'unlikely' to alleviate pain, just listen to them. Get yourself to a good physio and get it looked at. Be wary with spinal surgery - if it goes slightly wrong you are in a wheelchair.

fossyant

@glasgowcyclist Are you out yet ? :whistle:

Not an option for most people, and not necessarily one everyone would take if it were.

Sadly the NHS offers less and less though. There are policies which they call 'procedures of limited clinical value' - the title sounds reasonable - but when you read it things like hernia ops, knee and hip scopes, steroid injections are now longer offered by the NHS. They say that NICE have set many of these standards and they are clinical decisions - but yet are quite happy for people to pump themselves full of naproxen, codeine where much clinical evidence indicates these drugs can be damaging.

Plus you aren't told - you are told xxxx doesn't work - your best off with some stretches \ breathing etc - oh and heres a leaflet !

fossyant

Sitting here all dressed and waiting for my brother to pick me up. I have a goody bag of painkillers and looking forward to going home.

I'd be waiting in the cafe. That said, it took a few hours before my wife picked me up from the ward after I phoned 'come and get me'. It was hard work walking all the way to the car after such a long time in bed. A porter even helped carry some bags (I didn't have as much crap as my MIL has accumulated in two weeks in hospital).

All I'll say, is if they are telling you the surgery is 'unlikely' to alleviate pain, just listen to them. Get yourself to a good physio and get it looked at. Be wary with spinal surgery - if it goes slightly wrong you are in a wheelchair.

Totally agree - eventually I wrote to my MP - and pushed and got the steroid injection. The pain and reliance on napraxon has massively reduced. I have been having these jabs every few years since my mid twenties - they have let me lead an active lifestyle for 30 years - Yet if I were in my 20's now - all I would get would be co codamol, breathing excercises , and some very basic physio (exercises)

Top Bottom