Just back from A&E

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Slioch

Guru
I have a goody bag of painkillers and looking forward to going home.

Two years ago Mrs S was visiting Glasgow and was taken very ill very suddenly, and was rushed into the Southern General.

After a couple of days she was given "happy medication" and was wheeled, giggling gently to herself, over to another unit for a procedure. The porter pushing her was a typical guy from Possil with a fantastic sense of humour. He told us in no uncertain terms that "there are more drugs up my close than they have in the whole of this f***ing hospital".

Brilliant!

Globalti

Legendary Member
Medical professionals have a laissez-faire attitude to collar bones since 85% do heal naturally and you can't disagree with avoidance of an operation if possible. in GC's case the system worked well; his x-ray was reviewed and somebody realised that he needed intervention. In my own case it didn't; I went over to private, saw a consultant with his own strong views and can't help wondering if I would have done better staying in the NHS. If the patient is discharged from A&E without plating it all hinges on somebody reviewing the x-ray or on a follow-up x-ray a week or two later to check the ends have met up.

Last edited:
OP
OP
glasgowcyclist

glasgowcyclist

Charming but somewhat feckless
I'd be waiting in the cafe.

I actually enjoyed sitting in the ward, getting to chat with Casey, the cleaner from Nigeria, Margherita, the breakfast server from Poland, and Katriona, from South Uist, who changed the bedding.

Home now and getting started on my physio, which is very small movements for now.

Again, thanks to you all for the good wishes and keeping me laughing.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Don't laugh too hard. You'll be laughing about how hard it is to get dressed - get the wrong arm in first and you are stuffed. I must say my shoulder decompression hurt a fair bit.

Globalti

Legendary Member
While you're sitting watching daytime TV (and sleeping a fair bit the first few days after the op, I expect) take a crumb of comfort from the knowledge that you have now joined the pantheon of cyclists who have broken a collar bone, meaning that you now truly have the right to call yourself A Cyclist.

Without wishing to turn this thread into a rant about the NHS, and I know they have their shortcomings, but when the s**t really hits the fan and it is a matter of life or death, I would want to be in a NHS hospital.

The NHS is brilliant at trauma
its when bits of you wear out they aren't quite so good.

Two years ago Mrs S was visiting Glasgow and was taken very ill very suddenly, and was rushed into the Southern General.

After a couple of days she was given "happy medication" and was wheeled, giggling gently to herself, over to another unit for a procedure. The porter pushing her was a typical guy from Possil with a fantastic sense of humour. He told us in no uncertain terms that "there are more drugs up my close than they have in the whole of this f***ing hospital".

Brilliant!

Was that an auto correct from 'Nose' ?

Slioch

Guru
Just as an amusing aside to the OP's predicament, I broke my left collarbone 20+ years ago in a motorcycle accident. It healed fine but with a slight overlap in the bones, so I looked a bit lopsided.
Then 6 years ago I broke my other collarbone when I slid off my bicycle on a greasy corner, which also healed fine with a slight overlap.
All rather painful at the time, but the upside is that I no longer look lopsided anymore ^_^.

I hope the painkillers are working ok for you @glasgowcyclist .:hugs:

Top Bottom