Just back from A&E

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

C R

Guru
At Thursday's assessment I was signed off for another four weeks. The incision is apparently healing very neatly and I have to continue with the limited physio with the addition of doing a pendulum swing with my arm. I'm to lean on a surface with my good arm, bending forward slightly to let my left arm dangle vertically, then swing the left arm in small circles from the shoulder.

I've to do this for another couple of weeks before they'll introduce resistance to the movements.

For some reason my arm pain returned with a vengeance as I was leaving hospital so I've gone back to the full dose of painkillers. It's beginning to subside again today though, so I'm going to slowly taper of the dose again.
Glad to hear things are going in the right direction.

Globalti

Legendary Member
How are things now GC, almost a month down the line?

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
I suggest to my wife than maybe we go to Yorkshire for a weekend. She had to tie me down and called a priest to perform an exorcism on me. After being slapped around the head for an hour I saw sense.

Did you know there are helicopter extraction teams who can be called to help should you unexpectedly find yourself in Yorkshire. Thank god for these hostage rescue teams.

OP
OP
glasgowcyclist

glasgowcyclist

Charming but somewhat feckless
How are things now GC, almost a month down the line?

Thanks for asking!

A bit up and down, physically and mentally. My first physio appointment isn't until 5 April and I've been doing the limited movements suggested by the surgeon but not seeing much change. My wife thinks I'm hoping for progress too soon and she's always right.

I went to the shops with her yesterday and after just 10-15 minutes of being on my feet I had severe pain in an area between my left shoulder blade and my neck. It feels like someone has twisted a tendon around a pencil and is cranking it tigher and tighter until it's on the brink of snapping. I have to either sit on a sofa or lie on my right side for it to go away, which only takes a few minutes. So there I was lying on the bench outside Lidl while we waited for a taxi home. I can't figure out how this relates to my broken collarbone.

Today I made a porage loaf that turned out really well, so that's cheered me right up. (I'll stick a photo in the bakers' thread soon.)

Globalti

Legendary Member
You are probably doing what I did for the full three months of non-union; tensing those shoulder muscles and holding the shoulder high to alleviate pain, which is causing one of the complex muscles to go into spasm. Are you taking the painkillers correctly?

OP
OP
glasgowcyclist

glasgowcyclist

You are probably doing what I did for the full three months of non-union; tensing those shoulder muscles and holding the shoulder high to alleviate pain, which is causing one of the complex muscles to go into spasm. Are you taking the painkillers correctly?

You're probably right about the shoulder muscles, I'm making a conscious effort to avoid that now. (Having said that, the first time it happened was the day after the operation while I was sitting up in bed. I'll ask the doc at my assessment on Thursday.)

In the days immediately after the plate was inserted I had rotten pain if I let the arm hang its weight by itself. That felt as though I had a 10kg dead weight hanging on a nail through my shoulder bone.

I have been attempting to taper off the cocodamol as I'm wary of being dependent on it for too long. It's good for the pain that would keep me awake but does little for the underlying, constant ache and general discomfort, so I only take it when I need to.

vickster

Legendary Member
Ice can be great for joint pain and inflammation. Heat for stiffness. Try a wheatpack or hot water bottle (with cover) for 15 mins before you do your exercises and then a bag of peas (in a tea towel) afterwards

Of course, you may be doing this already :smile:

OP
OP
glasgowcyclist

glasgowcyclist

Ice can be great for joint pain and inflammation. Heat for stiffness. Try a wheatpack or hot water bottle (with cover) for 15 mins before you do your exercises and then a bag of peas (in a tea towel) afterwards

Of course, you may be doing this already :smile:

No, good idea though. Thanks.

OP
OP
glasgowcyclist

glasgowcyclist

Take your wife out to dinner......It's always hard living with the injured no matter how little trouble they try to be. At least that's what the Little General told me after I broke my pelvis and snivelled around for a couple of months. You deserve it too.

That is already on the cards!

My wife is absolutely marvellous and has been taking the best care of me, I can't wait to spoil her rotten.

Top Bottom