Just back from A&E

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

classic33

Leg End Member
I am now glad I never asked for my MRI images.
I was going to use the data for a 3d visualisation but looking at that xx(
You might look different.

OP
OP
glasgowcyclist

glasgowcyclist

Charming but somewhat feckless
How's the collar bone feeling now GC, a fortnight after your crash?

Have you got full movement of your shoulder?

Big improvement over the past week, both in lower arm mobility and shoulder pain but still very little power. I can hold a cup of tea or similar weight in my left hand, so long as I keep it close to my body, although I can't raise it to my lips.

I was told to limit any physio to regularly flexing my elbow and to do very small circular movements of the shoulder by bending the arm 90 deg at the elbow and drawing small circles with it. (Hope that's clear)

The consultant specifically warned me against upper arm movements beyond that.

My course of diclofenac, for bone inflammation, has ended and I have cut the each dose of cocodamol from two to one tablet since the pain is much reduced. The best bit is I'm getting a good night's sleep again!

I walked down to the GP on Monday to pick up my sick line, a round trip of perhaps 35 minutes, and found that at the end of that my shoulder was quite sore. It's as though my entire arm's weight is hust hanging on the joint and my muscles aren't doing anything to support it. If I do that again I'll definitely put the sling back on.

Globalti

Legendary Member
Good to hear there's an improvement. My consultant said "no physio for 10 days after the plating". I'm now into week 16 since plating and it feels pretty good although exercising the muscles still causes an increase in soft tissue discomfort around the area. The coloured latex bands are excellent for this.

I think you should still be using the sling when walking about. I hope that shoulder joint pain doesn't mean your shoulder is freezing up from lack of movement. My capsule release op is scheduled for 8 April and the surgeon says it will take me backwards in order to go forwards.

Last edited:

DisjointedReality

FWIW, this is a thread about my experience following a collarbone break where surgery was not required (though I did wonder why not, at the time). It's about two and a half years since it happened. Recovery was slow at first, but once the bone ends began to knit, things improved fairly rapidly. I have full mobility and no pain - though my left shoulder is now almost an inch narrower than my right. Nobody notices, except for me.
https://www.cyclechat.net/threads/broken-collarbone-real-world-recovery.217725/

Globalti

Legendary Member
That's an interesting account. I was quite distressed that my shoulder had lost an inch of width and my armpit was squashed shut and stinky so I was relieved to have it plated, which has returned my dimensions to normal or will once I've rebuilt the muscle.

Shouldn't CC have a permanent collar bone thread in Training, Fitness & Health? It would make good reading for upset, worried cyclists stuck at home with a recent break.

vickster

Legendary Member
That's an interesting account. I was quite distressed that my shoulder had lost an inch of width and my armpit was squashed shut and stinky so I was relieved to have it plated, which has returned my dimensions to normal or will once I've rebuilt the muscle.

Shouldn't CC have a permanent collar bone thread in Training, Fitness & Health? It would make good reading for upset, worried cyclists stuck at home with a recent break.
Start one?

Use the search function to find all applicable threads and add links in one thread with a suitable title like ‘broken collarbone’ perhaps

Last edited:

classic33

Leg End Member
Start one?

Use the search function to find all applicable threads and add links in one thread with a suitable title like ‘broken collarbone’ perhaps
Tag maybe?

Some may only be mentioned in a thread like this, about the incident.

OP
OP
glasgowcyclist

glasgowcyclist

Charming but somewhat feckless
At Thursday's assessment I was signed off for another four weeks. The incision is apparently healing very neatly and I have to continue with the limited physio with the addition of doing a pendulum swing with my arm. I'm to lean on a surface with my good arm, bending forward slightly to let my left arm dangle vertically, then swing the left arm in small circles from the shoulder.

I've to do this for another couple of weeks before they'll introduce resistance to the movements.

For some reason my arm pain returned with a vengeance as I was leaving hospital so I've gone back to the full dose of painkillers. It's beginning to subside again today though, so I'm going to slowly taper off the dose again.

Edited to correct spelling.

Last edited:
Top Bottom