Just back from A&E

Discussion in 'General Cycling Discussions' started by glasgowcyclist, 27 Feb 2019.

1. Freds Dad

Freds Dad Veteran

Of course now that you have a metal plate in your body you will get stopped every time you pass through airport security as I found out after my knee replacement.

GWS

raleighnut and glasgowcyclist like this.
  2. Globalti

Globalti Legendary Member

Just take a photo of the screen, they don't mind. We always enjoy seeing other people's x-rays.

glasgowcyclist likes this.
  3. Pale Rider

Pale Rider Guru

My replacement hip - which might be ceramic but certainly has metal screws - doesn't set off scanners at court.

That may say more about the court's security kit than anything else.

raleighnut likes this.
  4. OP
    OP
    glasgowcyclist

glasgowcyclist Charming but somewhat feckless

They're going to take it back out once the bone has knitted, possibly in about three months. I've no flights planned in that time, otherwise it would have been quite entertaining to do that.

5. OP
    OP
    glasgowcyclist

Pah! It was overproved and a teeny bit underbaked, could have done with just another three minutes in the oven. Looks rubbish but the flavour is great and once toasted you'd never know it was underbaked.

Last edited: 7 Mar 2019
    dave r, Pat "5mph", Reynard and 2 others like this.
  6. I like Skol

I like Skol Hold my beer and watch this....

Did a seeded loaf yesterday to go with a chicken stew at tea time. Loaf disappeared in one sitting :mrpig:

Must admit, the thought of trying to knead dough with only one arm is quite comical!

7. Globalti

Damn, what with this bread and the chicken broth I'm definitely going to drop in on you next time I'm in Glasgow.

8. OP
    OP
    glasgowcyclist

I use a folding technique rather than a traditional knead and while I'd normally use two hands, it's possible to do it with just one. With the dough still in the bowl, I wet my hand and slide it under the middle of the dough then lift it up so it stretches under its own weight. Then I flop it back into the bowl (with the open ends at, say, 3 o'clock and the fold at 9 o'clock. Turn the bowl 90 degrees and repeat. Usually takes only four or five of these to build it into a nice full pillow. Rest and repeat after a further 15 and 30 minutes.

Shaping it was easy enough using a plastic scraper to scoop it into a boule. If I can find a video of the technique on youtube I'll post it, it's easy to do but tricky to describe in words alone.

9. Globalti

I hope my collar bone plate sets off the scanners next time I go through Manchester, I'd love to wind up that shower of barstewards in Security. Last time I went through, pre-plate, I couldn't raise my arm for the body scan so I got diverted for a manual pat down and I must say the bloke was unusually friendly and seemed to take an awfully long time exploring my topography. I went through again three weeks later, same bloke, he smiled and said "Ooh yes, I remember you" then gave me the same lengthy exploration. I'm glad I'm 100% relaxed about my sexuality.

10. fossyant

fossyant Ride It Like You Stole It!

Yah big jessie !

Try snapping two vertebrae and 4 ribs. The docs weren't bothered about the ribs, but did they hurt, my word. Every time the nurses moved me (which was a lot at first due to the numerous scans), the muscles around the ribs would spasm, then they triggered off my back to spasm. That pain was the worst pain imaginable - I would have happily died it was that bad (very nearly did). (this is not a willy waving comp).

Seriously, see if you can get something a bit stronger from the GP. Slow release morphine tablets, despite being a little unpleasant, will help and knock you out, and you won't care. If you can't get that, then something stronger than codeine - I still pop that stuff like sweets at night.

raleighnut likes this.
  11. fossyant

fossyant Ride It Like You Stole It!

They are worse at Heathrow. Son has issues with his insulin pump with those idiots.

12. I like Skol

I like Skol Hold my beer and watch this....

I think you are probably not, which is why you are making such an issue about it.

theclaud likes this.
  13. tom73

tom73 Über Member

Bone pain is one that can be hard to get on top of. If it's not settling down and it's still early days just see if your GP can give you something else or advice. You also always ring the ward and ask them what they think.

14. Hugh Manatee

Hugh Manatee Veteran

I am having to try and do stuff on one leg. I am not that surprised how short a time it takes for the other leg to start hurting as well.
    I managed to go over on my ankle hard enough to to mean it is now twice the size of the other one.

Yours sounds much, much worse. Hope you heal well.

15. Globalti

Sometimes they say you're better off breaking an ankle than spraining it. I dislocated mine 40 years ago and it's very weak and prone to going over.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice