Just back from A&E

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
Of course now that you have a metal plate in your body you will get stopped every time you pass through airport security as I found out after my knee replacement.

GWS

My replacement hip - which might be ceramic but certainly has metal screws - doesn't set off scanners at court.

That may say more about the court's security kit than anything else.

OP
OP
glasgowcyclist

glasgowcyclist

Charming but somewhat feckless
Of course now that you have a metal plate in your body you will get stopped every time you pass through airport security as I found out after my knee replacement.

GWS

They're going to take it back out once the bone has knitted, possibly in about three months. I've no flights planned in that time, otherwise it would have been quite entertaining to do that.

OP
OP
glasgowcyclist

glasgowcyclist

Charming but somewhat feckless
Did a seeded loaf yesterday to go with a chicken stew at tea time. Loaf disappeared in one sitting :mrpig:

Must admit, the thought of trying to knead dough with only one arm is quite comical!

I use a folding technique rather than a traditional knead and while I'd normally use two hands, it's possible to do it with just one. With the dough still in the bowl, I wet my hand and slide it under the middle of the dough then lift it up so it stretches under its own weight. Then I flop it back into the bowl (with the open ends at, say, 3 o'clock and the fold at 9 o'clock. Turn the bowl 90 degrees and repeat. Usually takes only four or five of these to build it into a nice full pillow. Rest and repeat after a further 15 and 30 minutes.

Shaping it was easy enough using a plastic scraper to scoop it into a boule. If I can find a video of the technique on youtube I'll post it, it's easy to do but tricky to describe in words alone.

Globalti

Legendary Member
I hope my collar bone plate sets off the scanners next time I go through Manchester, I'd love to wind up that shower of barstewards in Security. Last time I went through, pre-plate, I couldn't raise my arm for the body scan so I got diverted for a manual pat down and I must say the bloke was unusually friendly and seemed to take an awfully long time exploring my topography. I went through again three weeks later, same bloke, he smiled and said "Ooh yes, I remember you" then gave me the same lengthy exploration. I'm glad I'm 100% relaxed about my sexuality.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Better each day, thanks. It's frustrating not to be able to get rid of the pain though. I can constantly feel every centimetre of my collar bone, the plate and its hook that slips under my shoulder, and all of it feels like it is about to burst out of my skin. I'm pretty sure it would have been a lot worse doing nothing and hoping it would knit back itself.

But you and the other nobbers are making me laugh so that always helps. :-)

Yah big jessie !

Try snapping two vertebrae and 4 ribs. The docs weren't bothered about the ribs, but did they hurt, my word. Every time the nurses moved me (which was a lot at first due to the numerous scans), the muscles around the ribs would spasm, then they triggered off my back to spasm. That pain was the worst pain imaginable - I would have happily died it was that bad (very nearly did). (this is not a willy waving comp).

Seriously, see if you can get something a bit stronger from the GP. Slow release morphine tablets, despite being a little unpleasant, will help and knock you out, and you won't care. If you can't get that, then something stronger than codeine - I still pop that stuff like sweets at night.

fossyant

I hope my collar bone plate sets off the scanners next time I go through Manchester, I'd love to wind up that shower of barstewards in Security. Last time I went through, pre-plate, I couldn't raise my arm for the body scan so I got diverted for a manual pat down and I must say the bloke was unusually friendly and seemed to take an awfully long time exploring my topography. I went through again three weeks later, same bloke, he smiled and said "Ooh yes, I remember you" then gave me the same lengthy exploration. I'm glad I'm 100% relaxed about my sexuality.

They are worse at Heathrow. Son has issues with his insulin pump with those idiots.

tom73

Guru
Better each day, thanks. It's frustrating not to be able to get rid of the pain though. I can constantly feel every centimetre of my collar bone, the plate and its hook that slips under my shoulder, and all of it feels like it is about to burst out of my skin. I'm pretty sure it would have been a lot worse doing nothing and hoping it would knit back itself.

But you and the other nobbers are making me laugh so that always helps. :-)

Bone pain is one that can be hard to get on top of. If it's not settling down and it's still early days just see if your GP can give you something else or advice. You also always ring the ward and ask them what they think.

Hugh Manatee

Veteran
I am having to try and do stuff on one leg. I am not that surprised how short a time it takes for the other leg to start hurting as well.
I managed to go over on my ankle hard enough to to mean it is now twice the size of the other one.

Yours sounds much, much worse. Hope you heal well.

Globalti

Legendary Member
Sometimes they say you're better off breaking an ankle than spraining it. I dislocated mine 40 years ago and it's very weak and prone to going over.

fossyant

Sometimes they say you're better off breaking an ankle than spraining it. I dislocated mine 40 years ago and it's very weak and prone to going over.

My surgeon said that when I mashed up my shoulder (well a car caused it) needed an AC decompression, but he said it you'd broke your collar bone, you would have been healed much quicker. Took two years to get surgery after accident, then another 18 months before it was perfect.

Top Bottom