Just back from A&E

Discussion in 'General Cycling Discussions' started by glasgowcyclist, 27 Feb 2019.

1. OP
    OP
    glasgowcyclist

glasgowcyclist Charming but somewhat feckless

You're probably right about the shoulder muscles, I'm making a conscious effort to avoid that now. (Having said that, the first time it happened was the day after the operation while I was sitting up in bed. I'll ask the doc at my assessment on Thursday.)

In the days immediately after the plate was inserted I had rotten pain if I let the arm hang its weight by itself. That felt as though I had a 10kg dead weight hanging on a nail through my shoulder bone.

I have been attempting to taper off the cocodamol as I'm wary of being dependent on it for too long. It's good for the pain that would keep me awake but does little for the underlying, constant ache and general discomfort, so I only take it when I need to.

2. vickster

vickster Legendary Member

Ice can be great for joint pain and inflammation. Heat for stiffness. Try a wheatpack or hot water bottle (with cover) for 15 mins before you do your exercises and then a bag of peas (in a tea towel) afterwards

Of course, you may be doing this already :smile:

glasgowcyclist likes this.
  3. OP
    OP
    glasgowcyclist

No, good idea though. Thanks.

4. 12boy

12boy Über Member

Take your wife out to dinner......It's always hard living with the injured no matter how little trouble they try to be. At least that's what the Little General told me after I broke my pelvis and snivelled around for a couple of months. You deserve it too.

tom73, DCBassman, Dogtrousers and 6 others like this.
  5. OP
    OP
    glasgowcyclist

That is already on the cards!

My wife is absolutely marvellous and has been taking the best care of me, I can't wait to spoil her rotten.

Katherine, dave r, tom73 and 7 others like this.
  6. boydj

boydj Guru

Sook!

Just kidding. Take her to the pictures as well - she deserves it.

glasgowcyclist likes this.
  7. kingrollo

kingrollo Über Member

Any updates GC ?

8. OP
    OP
    glasgowcyclist

I had my first physio last Friday and have four more exercises to do. These are only to increase the range of movement in my shoulder, no resistance exercises yet.

I tried tapering off the painkillers again but it's still too early for that. The area of numbness around the incision is beginning to shrink and I can feel the plate and a couple of the screws through my skin when I touch that area.
    Feels weird, I'm looking forward to getting it out.

Pat "5mph", Reynard and DCBassman like this.
  9. Globalti

Globalti Legendary Member

Can you still move that arm fully? As far as the other arm? How is the bone pain now?

I had the capsule release op yesterday and I'm home feeling sleepy and taking ibuprofen every 6 hours and paracetamol every 5. So far the pain isn't as bad as people have been predicting but then I guess lots of people with simple frozen shoulders haven't already had broken ribs and clavicle.

While he was in with the camera the surgeon spotted damage to the articular cartilage, that's the cartilage layer on the ball of the humerus so I guess that will need attention at some time in the future.

10. kingrollo

kingrollo Über Member

Don't know if your NHS or private. - but trimming, scoping, cleaning up cartilage is one of things the NHS is cutting back on (apparently it doesn't work !!!!!) I don't know you're full history but that sort of surgery won't be available on the NHS much longer - if it hasn't been halted all ready.

you might want to google your CCG's procedure on limited clinical value policy - makes alarming reading.

11. OP
    OP
    glasgowcyclist

The affected arm has nowhere near the movement of my good arm, although it has been improving over the past two weeks. From hanging vertical, I can move the arm to about 25-30 degrees forward and about 10 degrees backwards, unaided. Using my good arm to support it, I can move it forward to about 50 degrees from vertical before pain says stop. Still can't hold any weight with it.

Bone pain is greatly reduced from the time of the operation, occasionally it comes back but only if I have tried to do too much with that arm. Normally it's more an awareness of something being there that shouldn't be. Too much walking or too long in a car causes pain where the skin is abrading over the plate so I keep my journeys as short as possible.

Hope your treatment goes well.

Pat "5mph", McWobble and raleighnut like this.
  12. Globalti

Yes I'd read that somewhere. I'll wait until I see the surgeon in a month and ask how he thinks it's likely to affect arm movement in the future. I'm with BUPA so I guess it will be OK although my surgeon also keeps a close eye on latest research and how that influences thinking.

The jammy sod goes to the IOM TT every year as one of the surgical team!

raleighnut likes this.
  13. Globalti

Has your physio given you the latex resistance bands to help muscle regrowth? They are really excellent for this, mine are benefiting me a lot.

14. OP
    OP
    glasgowcyclist

No, he is focusing on improving the range of movement before introducing resistance.

raleighnut likes this.
  15. vickster

vickster Legendary Member

Bupa will even fight claims for age related arthritis / clean ups if your other structures, ROM etc arent affected (they weren’t keen on funding my knee arthroscopy in Jan and required a lot of info from the surgeon). Don’t mention the A word in comms if at all possible! They are very tetchy about paying for anything chronic or age related! Indeed they tend to follow the NHS/NICE on such things

raleighnut likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice