Just back from A&E

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Any updates GC ?

OP
OP
glasgowcyclist

glasgowcyclist

Charming but somewhat feckless
Any updates GC ?
I had my first physio last Friday and have four more exercises to do. These are only to increase the range of movement in my shoulder, no resistance exercises yet.

I tried tapering off the painkillers again but it's still too early for that. The area of numbness around the incision is beginning to shrink and I can feel the plate and a couple of the screws through my skin when I touch that area.
Feels weird, I'm looking forward to getting it out.

Globalti

Legendary Member
Can you still move that arm fully? As far as the other arm? How is the bone pain now?

I had the capsule release op yesterday and I'm home feeling sleepy and taking ibuprofen every 6 hours and paracetamol every 5. So far the pain isn't as bad as people have been predicting but then I guess lots of people with simple frozen shoulders haven't already had broken ribs and clavicle.

While he was in with the camera the surgeon spotted damage to the articular cartilage, that's the cartilage layer on the ball of the humerus so I guess that will need attention at some time in the future.

Can you still move that arm fully? As far as the other arm? How is the bone pain now?

I had the capsule release op yesterday and I'm home feeling sleepy and taking ibuprofen every 6 hours and paracetamol every 5. So far the pain isn't as bad as people have been predicting but then I guess lots of people with simple frozen shoulders haven't already had broken ribs and clavicle.

While he was in with the camera the surgeon spotted damage to the articular cartilage, that's the cartilage layer on the ball of the humerus so I guess that will need attention at some time in the future.

Don't know if your NHS or private. - but trimming, scoping, cleaning up cartilage is one of things the NHS is cutting back on (apparently it doesn't work !!!!!) I don't know you're full history but that sort of surgery won't be available on the NHS much longer - if it hasn't been halted all ready.

you might want to google your CCG's procedure on limited clinical value policy - makes alarming reading.

OP
OP
glasgowcyclist

glasgowcyclist

The affected arm has nowhere near the movement of my good arm, although it has been improving over the past two weeks. From hanging vertical, I can move the arm to about 25-30 degrees forward and about 10 degrees backwards, unaided. Using my good arm to support it, I can move it forward to about 50 degrees from vertical before pain says stop. Still can't hold any weight with it.

Bone pain is greatly reduced from the time of the operation, occasionally it comes back but only if I have tried to do too much with that arm. Normally it's more an awareness of something being there that shouldn't be. Too much walking or too long in a car causes pain where the skin is abrading over the plate so I keep my journeys as short as possible.

Hope your treatment goes well.

Globalti

Legendary Member
Don't know if your NHS or private. - but trimming, scoping, cleaning up cartilage is one of things the NHS is cutting back on (apparently it doesn't work !!!!!) I don't know you're full history but that sort of surgery won't be available on the NHS much longer - if it hasn't been halted all ready.

you might want to google your CCG's procedure on limited clinical value policy - makes alarming reading.

Yes I'd read that somewhere. I'll wait until I see the surgeon in a month and ask how he thinks it's likely to affect arm movement in the future. I'm with BUPA so I guess it will be OK although my surgeon also keeps a close eye on latest research and how that influences thinking.

The jammy sod goes to the IOM TT every year as one of the surgical team!

Globalti

Legendary Member
The affected arm has nowhere near the movement of my good arm, although it has been improving over the past two weeks. From hanging vertical, I can move the arm to about 25-30 degrees forward and about 10 degrees backwards, unaided. Using my good arm to support it, I can move it forward to about 50 degrees from vertical before pain says stop. Still can't hold any weight with it.

Bone pain is greatly reduced from the time of the operation, occasionally it comes back but only if I have tried to do too much with that arm. Normally it's more an awareness of something being there that shouldn't be. Too much walking or too long in a car causes pain where the skin is abrading over the plate so I keep my journeys as short as possible.

Has your physio given you the latex resistance bands to help muscle regrowth? They are really excellent for this, mine are benefiting me a lot.

OP
OP
glasgowcyclist

glasgowcyclist

Has your physio given you the latex resistance bands to help muscle regrowth? They are really excellent for this, mine are benefiting me a lot.

No, he is focusing on improving the range of movement before introducing resistance.

vickster

Legendary Member
Yes I'd read that somewhere. I'll wait until I see the surgeon in a month and ask how he thinks it's likely to affect arm movement in the future. I'm with BUPA so I guess it will be OK although my surgeon also keeps a close eye on latest research and how that influences thinking.

The jammy sod goes to the IOM TT every year as one of the surgical team!
Bupa will even fight claims for age related arthritis / clean ups if your other structures, ROM etc arent affected (they weren’t keen on funding my knee arthroscopy in Jan and required a lot of info from the surgeon). Don’t mention the A word in comms if at all possible! They are very tetchy about paying for anything chronic or age related! Indeed they tend to follow the NHS/NICE on such things

OP
OP
glasgowcyclist

glasgowcyclist

GC how are you feeling now almost seven weeks down the line?

Much better, thanks.

Although I still have no muscle strength back, the physiotherapy has restored a lot of the range of movement in my shoulder. They added a new exercise last week involving abducting the arm which the doc at my last two assessments specifically told me to avoid. I contacted the fracture clinic to check but both the doc and the surgeon are on leave until next week so I'm avoiding this exercise until I get confirmation.

Globalti

Legendary Member
My surgeon wrote "no physio for 10 days" on the discharge notes after my plating. After that my physio was happy for me to move any way.

8 days now since the capsule release and the stretching is making it flippin' hurt, all the time. The pain is almost as bad as broken ribs. Everybody said it would hurt.

My surgeon wrote "no physio for 10 days" on the discharge notes after my plating. After that my physio was happy for me to move any way.

8 days now since the capsule release and the stretching is making it flippin' hurt, all the time. The pain is almost as bad as broken ribs. Everybody said it would hurt.
A like for what is about to be a shared pain...

Top Bottom