Just back from A&E

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
glasgowcyclist

glasgowcyclist

Charming but somewhat feckless
:ohmy: Its more stressful for me, that many folk with coughs and colds (which freaks me out) and it gets caught frustratingly in traffic; the bike for me is fresh air and I'm in control of my own time, if I had a stressful route I'd plan around it (even if its longer). But if your finding it the other way don't mock it :okay:

I know all of the benefits, I've been commuting by bike for around 25 years and cycling in general for fifty. I'm not ruling out a return but I don't bounce like I used to and injury takes longer to recover from.

That said, I am really missing certain parts of my ride where, in summer, I detour through a beautiful park and sometimes just stop to watch the wildlife for a while. Plus it really helps with my blood pressure and mental health.

I'm just... torn.

D

Deleted member 1258

I know all of the benefits, I've been commuting by bike for around 25 years and cycling in general for fifty. I'm not ruling out a return but I don't bounce like I used to and injury takes longer to recover from.

That said, I am really missing certain parts of my ride where, in summer, I detour through a beautiful park and sometimes just stop to watch the wildlife for a while. Plus it really helps with my blood pressure and mental health.

I'm just... torn.

You might find the desire to ride will come back after a while.

Globalti

Legendary Member
Don't worry about it, I'm sure it's a normal reaction. I lost interest in cycling, all through the three miserable months of non-union (tried a turbo but too uncomfortable) then post plating op, through to the capsule release on 10 April and a couple of months after that. I've been back on properly for about 6 weeks now and we are approaching the anniversary of the crash on 18 August. The arm and shoulder muscles are returning but the hand is stiff and I'm seeing an Occupational Therapist about that. The shoulder is still stiff and the joint clunky and clonky. The consultant said that could last as long as a year.

I am concentrating on short steep rides to build leg strength as both shoulders are still weak and ache after 90 minutes. That's working as the thighs are bulking up, hills feel easier and I'm no longer off the back of the midweek evening rides with a couple of buddies, more where I used to be in the middle.

Last edited:
Do what you want to do. Some people advocate getting back on and overcoming the fear. This has never worked for me and anything which has required me overcoming a sudden aversion to something has required time and perspective. You've cycled for 50 years, I'm pretty sure you're able to decide what and when you're able to do something.

OP
OP
glasgowcyclist

glasgowcyclist

I was back at the fracture clinic last week for a post-op check and they're happy enough with me that they've discharged me. Physio is coming on better now too with my visits dropped to fortnightly from weekly. And I'm now fit enough to drive, not that I've missed it so I renewed my 4 week zonecard again yesterday.

I've been looking at the bike in the garage and thinking it might soon be time to get back on it. The fear is still there but not as pronounced as before. I think what'll finally get me back on is this flippin' beer gut that seems to be growing by the hour. I'll have another think about it in a couple of weeks.

Old jon

Guru
Aye, it was my gut that did the deciding for me.

Globalti

Legendary Member
Crack on! As soon as you up the mileage and stop drinking beer regularly it will drop off. The body responds so fast to the demands (or not) that you place on it.

OP
OP
glasgowcyclist

glasgowcyclist

So what news @glasgowcyclist ? Are you back in the saddle?

Erm, no. :blush:

However, I am not at the same level of fear as before. I feel that as my rehab progresses, my aversion to cycling decreases. As of last Friday, my physio has introduced some resistance exercises for me and I don't have to see her every week, next appointment is 20 Sept.

Edit to correct typo from ‘here’ to her.

Last edited:
OP
OP
glasgowcyclist

glasgowcyclist

Time for an update me thinks ?

Have you become a powerlifter in the gym ?

Ha ha, I tried that when I was about 20. I went to the local sports centre with a mate and we completely overdid it, I could barely use my arms for two days.

Physio is bringing great improvements, my arm can now reach 140 degrees unassisted. As well as the isometric exercises, she has given me my first resistance band which I use by holding either end down at waist level, stretching it out a bit and raising both hands in an arc over my head. Repeat ten times, three times a day.

Despite the fear subsiding a lot, I'm still not confident to resume riding, especially now we're at the frosty morning/slippy leaves time. I think I might have become too accustomed to the bus now too.

Top Bottom