just ordered my first ebike

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

welsh dragon

Thanks but no thanks. I think I'll pass.
So i have been researching ebikes for awhile now and i have just ordered a new ebike.
ordered a cube touring hybrid one 500 picking it up sunday.
never riden any ebike before so looking forward to see how it is.

I hope you have lots of fun.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
So i have been researching ebikes for awhile now and i have just ordered a new ebike.
ordered a cube touring hybrid one 500 picking it up sunday.
never riden any ebike before so looking forward to see how it is.
I think that is the model bought recently by a friend's elderly brother (early 70s). He is quite fit, but his knees were starting to play up on the local hills so he fancied a bit of assistance. He loves it!

D

Deleted member 26715

Good choice, I have the Acid & enjoy riding it, although my son appears to have commandeered it currently but if it gets him into doing exercise I don't care.

OP
OP
terry_gardener

terry_gardener

Veteran
thank you for the replies
i picked up the bike and did a 12 mile ride from the shop when i got home i noticed a scratch on the chainstay but it might have been me getting it in my flat on the corner of the wall as i underestimated the weight which is very heavy compared to what i'm use to.

the bike is a great ride went up a really steep hill/bank and it was so much easier i didn't even have it on the easiest gear.
the getting up to speed from a stop (ie from junctions/lights) is alot easier and feel safer because of it.

only thing i found abit scary is going down a hill i reached 30+ mph which im not use to.

also first time using hydrolic disk brakes and disk brakes in general and they are going to take some getting use to.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 26715

only thing i found abit scary is going down a hill i reached 30+ mph which im not use to.
If you're using the assist on the uphill & you crest the top at a faster speed than you normally would then you carry the momentum down the hill as well.

OP
OP
terry_gardener

terry_gardener

Veteran
If you're using the assist on the uphill & you crest the top at a faster speed than you normally would then you carry the momentum down the hill as well.
as my speed started to increase going down hill i stopped pedalling and still went over 30mph, i think i should start wearing a helmet now

D

Deleted member 26715

as my speed started to increase going down hill i stopped pedalling and still went over 30mph, i think i should start wearing a helmet now
What I was meaning was that unassisted you may have gone over the crest at 7mph, but if you're using assist then you may have gone over at 14mph, so you accelerate to 30mph so much faster, you're also on a heavier bike, so that also carries extra momentum.

OP
OP
terry_gardener

terry_gardener

Veteran
Ha ha! I've just done the very same thing. Looking forward to it. Ready to pick up on the 21st.

So i have had the bike for nearly a week and done 50 miles in total, which is about 4x the amount i normally ride in a week.
My avg speed is about 4kph higher. my avg heartrate is about the same (actually 1 bpm higher on ebike). reaching 15.5 mph is quite easy to get up to and going up inclines is great and alot easier.

after 50 miles it still had 3 out of 5 bars left on battery and range stated 22 miles left in tour mode.

don't know if it is the weight of the bike or not but descending the bike speeds up quicker than expected.
the brakes takes more time to stop but this maybe the increased weight and speed.

only problem i have had is a pain in the top front part of my right leg which im unsure what it is.

So i have had the bike for nearly a week and done 50 miles in total, which is about 4x the amount i normally ride in a week.
My avg speed is about 4kph higher. my avg heartrate is about the same (actually 1 bpm higher on ebike). reaching 15.5 mph is quite easy to get up to and going up inclines is great and alot easier.

after 50 miles it still had 3 out of 5 bars left on battery and range stated 22 miles left in tour mode.

don't know if it is the weight of the bike or not but descending the bike speeds up quicker than expected.
the brakes takes more time to stop but this maybe the increased weight and speed.

only problem i have had is a pain in the top front part of my right leg which im unsure what it is.
Saddle too low perhaps?

i measured from pedals to top of saddle on my road bike and then same measurement on ebike and ebike was slightly lower so raised it by 7mm to be same height, don't think that little adjustment is going to make a difference though
thanks for the suggestion
That's a relatively massive change, it certainly would make a difference for me. Good luck :okay:

Top Bottom