Kajsa Tylen: The Billie Dovey 81 miles a day progress thread

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

deptfordmarmoset

Full time tea drinker
Quite so.

It shows non-cyclists take very little notice of wind, unless it blows the roof off their house.
Or how to imagine getting from Worcester to home without the M5. :rolleyes:

OP
OP
Mugshot

Mugshot

Cracking a solo.
Day 40 and Kajsa rides for 87 miles. After 40 days she's passed the 3500 mile mark with a grand total of 3516 miles which is just under 88 miles a day average.

upload_2016-2-10_8-1-9.png

Well worth checking out today's vlog. Not good of Guinness changing the rules for Kajsa's attempt at this stage.

I think if I were her, I'd be sorely tempted to draft now it's allowed, especially in this weather. Recovery time/mileage would surely increase. Even if ethically, there are thought against it, anyone else attempting the ride will draft now so it makes sense to do it.

View: https://youtu.be/LC_nY94pDLg

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
I don't think she's got much choice. Anyone else doing the record will. And, imagine if she decided not to, and then found herself tired out, in a storm, with a strong rider behind her, knowing that drafting was allowed. The temptation would be great.

What is really bad is all the effort that she's put in so far abiding with a rule that has just been discarded.

Guinness do not come out if this well.

Gez73

Veteran
The only reason not to draft at this stage is if Guinness are prepared to recognise two distinct records with and without drafting. Was Billie Dovie allowed to draft? Shame there has been almost six weeks working to the original rules but there is lots of time left to apply the newly allowed rules and continue with that advantage. Subsequent challenges will use the more advantageous regulations so Kajsa should too. She has done so well and this can now be seen as a boost despite the theoretical losses that not drafting has caused. Odd that Kurts situation was clearer for Guinness but not this one when happening so close to each other. Gez

Yeah, it seems odd that she had to ask for clarification. Someone at Guinness could've just notified her of the change at that moment.

T4tomo

Legendary Member
It's the right decision, drafting is part of cycling IMHO, but daft that it took Guinness as while to recognise it, in a refitting Kurts attempt and then a further delay in realising that meant they had to change the rules for all attempts ( as I said they would need to a page or two back)

Kajsa you should embrace the new rules from now and draft when you have the chance, Tommy Godwin did, I have no idea if Billy Dovey did, but any subsequent challengers, Kurt's new wife Alicia for one, will definately be drafting so you should for the remaining 10 1/2 months. Frustrating it wasn't clear from the off, but not a lot can be done about that now.

Good luck.

Aravis

Putrid Donut
My view is that the year record, as a time trial, should be unpaced, but over a year I assume this condition would be practically impossible to police. Having ridden with Kajsa's group for two-thirds of Sunday's ride I can report that her compliance with the non-drafting rule during that time was absolute. This despite there being long periods where drafting would have helped enormously and the fact that the group contained one of the worlds strongest riders! If she says she is carrying on without drafting I will believe this 100%.

Having come this far, I don't think she should make any rushed moves in the next few days, but should throw the ball firmly back into Guinness's court. Maybe a more satisfactory outcome will be forthcoming.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
Having thought about it more, from the comfort of my spectating armchair ...

The answer has to come from Kajsa herself. She's given up a year of her life to do this and has to do it her way.

Let's face it, any record she sets will be beatable by someone with more advantageous terrain and climate, or better support.

If she feels that she can surpass the BD total while not drafting, and that she would be more at peace with herself that way, then that's what she should do. But it's her call.

The one aspect of the rule change she should grasp with both hands,IMO, is having multiple bikes. A spare bike on standby would be a boon. Maybe a crosser with clearance for ice tyres, just in case. Or just an identical bike to allow "one on and one in the wash" servicing.

Top Bottom