Keeping water out of my shoes?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Andy_R

Hard of hearing..I said Herd of Herring..oh FFS..
You'll end up with stupidly hot sweaty feet. :thumbsdown:

Tom B

Guru
As a fellow Manchester commuter I share your issues.

My Mrs got me some Shimano Mw7 waterproof booties which are great. I actually had the discontinued mw5s but they were swapped under warranty for the mw7s after the sole came unglued.

They are not infinitely waterproof and it will get in after an hour or so as there are two holes where your feet go in and the water runs down your legs and wicks in.

I'm of the view I dint mind being wet as ling as I'm not wet and cold so warm when wet socks are a must.

I also wear waterproof over trousers in particularly wet or snowy weather. Just get normal overtrousers and use insulting tape to pull it in around your leg or legs.

I'm not a huge fan of overshoes for water, but they do keep the wind and cold off.

As others have said a good low front mudguard is essential. I use Sks Bluemels and use the extension peice on the front (cheaper alternatives exist).

As for taping up holes, on my old boots I used insulation tape and also filled them with ledergris.

To dry my boots ans gloves I have a couple of sets of these.

https://www.decathlon.co.uk/boot-glove-dryer-id_8375022.html

andrew_s

Legendary Member
I've given up trying to keep my feet dry, and just use bare feet and SPD sandals nowadays, in the interests of minimum drying time.
Not being nesh, I just take the view that if it's above zero I won't get frostbite so it's just a matter of a bit of discomfort when it's cold, and if it's below zero it won't be wet so I can get the regular shoes out.

Before I gave up trying to keep my feet dry, I found the best thing was winter boots (goretex lining, fairly high ankle), with a rubber seal over the top of the boot to deflect any water running down my leg to the outside of the boot. The seals have to go against the skin, with any longs you may be wearing over the top, precluding the use of longs with foot stirrups.
I used the wrists cut off a pair of marigold gloves, but proper latex drysuit ankle seals from a diving shop would probably be better.

The current front mudflap is half of a cheap hot water bottle, trimmed enough to keep it off the road. It works very well provided I don't go through the deeper water too fast.

Top Bottom