Kid's names that won't make a comeback

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Rusty Nails

We remember
Persephone. Only the middle name of my granddaughter, thankfully.

My mother, named Adelina Marcella but known all her life as Mabel, seriously wanted to call my brother Ebenezer, after a favourite uncle. Only a threat of walkout from me, my sister and my father put paid to that.

Last edited:

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
I was up for Henry for our latest but he has it as a middle name. My mate Henry owns my LBS, I remember thinking his name was unusual for a young man when we first met, although I guess we're not so young any more.

I think that as well as the more zany names, more traditional names are making a comeback. OT prophets as well, Noah seems quite popular and I do know some Ezekiels and Isiahs, but that might just be amongst a certain set of my friends.

There's a lot of Noah's these days. 2 in Jnr's class alone.

Bazzer

Setting the controls for the heart of the sun.
Paternal Grandmother was a Dorothy. The only person I know who now has that name, is probably in her late 70's.

In keeping with the current times of unusual names , my Granddaughter is called Alba. But I suspect in the name there is a subconscious reaction to her Mum being, as my daughter puts it, named after a deranged woman in one of Mrs B's favourite books.

Beebo

Firm and Fruity
Out of interest I looked up the first names of the most recent England U18 football and rugby teams.

Can you guess which one is which?

Joshua, Xavier, Faustino, Arvin, Luca, Folarin, Dylan, Vontae, Marcus, James, Anthony, Mason, Tyreece, Curtis, Ethan, Bali, Nathanael, Arthur, Bukayo, Keyendrah, Rayhaan,

Joe, Jack, Tom, Orlando, Jude, Tom, Raphael, Phil, John, Luke, George, Archie, Jack, Josh, Nahum.

Joey Shabadoo

My pronouns are "He", "Him" and "buggerlugs"

Spot the Game of Thrones influence.

Fantasy series Game of Thrones has inspired a slew of new names, with Arya - rarely used previously - jumping into the top 100 names for girls after Arya Stark first hit the screens in 2011.

Calling your baby "Daenerys Targaryen" might be a step too far, but there have been 17 girls named Khaleesi, after Ms Targaryen's title as queen of the Dothraki tribe. There have also been four boys named Khal, after her warlord husband.

The years since the hit show came out have also seen the first recorded use of the names Sansa, Theon, Eddard and Jorah for Scottish babies.

But unsurprisingly no new parents have been inspired to dub their child Joffrey

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-45031042

Adam4868

Guru
I indirectly know of a child whose first and only forename is Ptolemy. I have often wondered how that goes down school :-\
My kids met someone with the very same name at a country estate in Lancashire.Called himself tolly.I think I read it's from a Roman Mathematician,which reminds me my best friends son is called Cassius.
My own son used to get teased about his name Jude.Which we used to always get asked "from hey Jude ?"
No,can't be doing with the Beatles !
It was from my Mrs love of the book Jude the obscure.Thanks Mr Hardy.

Jody

Stubborn git
I don't mind modern names but feel sorry for those whose parents chose a quirky (made up) way of spelling it.

Top Bottom