King of the Mountains polka dot jersey

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
Following on from my thread about us cyclists wearing hard to see black, i thought i'd gather opinions on the subject of wearing cycling tops that "we just aren't worthy of wearing".
I have an old red polka dot jersey that i wear occasionally when i feel like it. I'm the wrong side of 50, yet tall and slim so if it still fits me after all these years why not wear it i say?!
Anyway, i was out the other day and some slobby so and so passed me as i was slowly climbing a very steep hill.The creature mouthed off from his safe and comfortable car seat that i shouldn't be wearing such a prestigious top as only winners of such events should be allowed to wear such tops. Naturally i was slightly out of breath, and fatso was out of reach so i couldn't reply but i see nothing wrong in playing Richard Virenque for a few hours. I'm not doing any harm, i'm promoting an iconic sporting symbol and if they're only meant to be worn by the true champion, how come they're on general sale?
How many sites do we see wearing various shirts of famous/successful football teams..has fat boy wearing his Man Utd shirt on Blackpool prom played for them at sometime?

Your thoughts please.....Do you have to be a past winner of, or competitor in the King of the Mountains to wear the red polka dot?:heat:

I used to think you shouldn't wear a jersey you haven't earned, and that you shouldn't wear team kit, but then I grew up, although I don't wear champ jerseys or team kit myself.

Wear what you want, wear what you like. If anyone doesn't like it that's upto them :thumbsup:

OP
OP
Accy cyclist

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
I used to think you shouldn't wear a jersey you haven't earned, and that you shouldn't wear team kit, but then I grew up, although I don't wear champ jerseys or team kit myself.

Wear what you want, wear what you like. If anyone doesn't like it that's upto them :thumbsup:

Thanks, i'll keep on wearing it!:thumbsup: Like i said, it's old, even retro maybe, there aren't any sponsor names or flash bits on it, it's just a basic polka dot jersey. if it was a recent one with a teams name on i might feel a bit out of place, but i hope the ones in the know can see that i'm wearing it because i reckon it's stylish and from the days when jerseys weren't covered in adverts, not because i'm saying "look at me everyone, i'm King of the Mountains", when it's obvious that i'm not!:rolleyes:

as above - wear it. And keep wearing it, in case the fat bloke in the car sees you again. I see plenty of people around towns wearing Man Utd tops, but I don't believe any of them are currently in Fergie's squad...

broomwagon

Keep doing what you're doing fella, who gives a flying fu*k. I don't own a team jersey of either persuasion and I support Man U! I am getting a Paris Roubaix top this week, but I ain't ridden the cobbles and don't intend too. On a more serious note, Hinault mentions in Slaying The Badger of his dislike in seeing the yellow jersey being worn by mere mortals. So, if he says that..... :thumbsup:

I would say wear what you want when it comes to cycling kit its not that big a deal.Its not like your wearing someone elses medals.As for thickness if you see him again tell him to stick a burger in it.

oldroadman

Veteran
Somewhere I've still got some kit from a past team I rode for. It simply says "GIANT" front and rear. Which, considering the stature of almost all riders in the team, offended no-one except someone from trading standards! It has seen the light of day up to a few years ago, but oddly seems to have shrunk somewhat^_^!

gb155

Fan Boy No More.
I'd never wear a kom Jersey.but that's only because I'm like a slug on the hills

Green.yellow and team kit however is somethingi wear daily and I find it makes me ride harder in order to do the Jersey justice

alans

black belt lounge lizard
I ride up hills at glacial speed but I sometimes wear a KOM jersey,particularly if I feel that being visually high profile is desireable.
I don't give a tinker's toss about other peoples opinion of my sartorial choices.

compo

Veteran
I wouldn't wear copies of race jerseys, neither would I wear team strips. I saw a guy the other day in a rainbow jersey, what was that all about. To me it's as bad as buying service medals on Ebay and claiming them as your own even though you have no entitlement to them.

Perhaps if I was a lot slimmer, a lot faster and a lot younger my opinions may differ.

gaz

Cycle Camera TV
I think it's true to say that you shouldn't wear a jersey you haven't earned in a race.
But on any other ride, who cares?

I did find it amusing when I passed someone on box hill yesterday, he shouted his disapproval of my 'Ride it like you stole it' jersey.

frayBentos59

Specialized OCD
i was given a rainbow jersey as a gift, should i tell that person who has spent £50+ on it that unfortunately i can not wear the very generous gift you have given me because i may offend someone? stuff them, wear it and wear it with pride. as gb155 has said if it encourages you to ride harder or makes you feel better on the bike then dont let anybody else put you off wearing it.

Top Bottom