King of the Mountains polka dot jersey

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mcshroom

Bionic Subsonic
I ride up hills at glacial speed but I sometimes wear a KOM jersey,particularly if I feel that being visually high profile is desireable.
I don't give a tinker's toss about other peoples opinion of my sartorial choices.

Would that be one of the 'ironic' YACF ones?

I don't have a KoM one, but I'm perfectly happy to ride in my yellow jersey, though my red one is far more apt.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
I'd like to see anyone tell me I shouldn't be riding my Spesh Roubaix as it has World Champs rainbow colours on it.

gavroche

Getting old but not past it
Personnaly, I would never wear a yellow jersey out of respect for the past and present champions who won it the hard way. But that' s my own opinion. Every one to his own.

OP
OP
Accy cyclist

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
Thanks to all who've made me feel a bit more confident about my choice of clothing. I reckon that most motorists associate red spots with clowns so when they see the KOM they think of a figure of ridicule! They won't know the history and status of the red polka dot so they feel better about themselves by mocking something they have little, if any knowledge of.

http://www.dazzle-dancewear.co.uk/red-spotted-clown-bow-tie---fancy-dress---dancewear-7820-p.asp Maybe this type of thing is ingrained in their memory?:rolleyes:

I think it has nothing to do with anyone else.

The team kits and similar are largely manufactured and sold by the same enterprises that contribute to the teams and to the races.

I think team kit with matching team bike colours and team bottles look a little silly, but I think fat people drinking Diet Coke in public look silly too. It's just a personal view (or prejudice) and it should have no bearing on anyone's decision whether to wear something or not.

As it happens, I have Santini winter tops that bear a strong resemblance to both the Maglia Rosa and the Yellow Jersey.

Nothing is worth yelling at people about, but button-down collars with formal attire are wrong.

raindog

er.....
The one you should never wear is the rainbow jersey.

redcard

Veteran
I would really like to buy a jersey which has a quarter of it as the world champ colours, a quarter yellow jersey colours, a quarter polka, a quarter something else i shoud not be wearing...... Offend everyone in one go :becool:

And wear it with a good few inches of crack showing.

Willo

Too many folk in life are bothered with what others do/wear rather than live and let live. If you want to wear your polka dot jersey, and can ignore the odd eejit who has nothing better to do than tell you they object to that, then wear it. As others have said, people wear football & rugby tops without playing for the team concerned and no-one questions that. At least with cycling clobber it's usually worn while actually cycling (although I did see a fella walking a dog in a cycling jersey and jeans the other day and, contradicting my live and let live mantra, personally that struck me as simply wrong).

Seems to be snobbery and unwritten 'rule books' with many aspects of life that are simply recreation - I've experienced them in football, fishing and cycling. Some are well intended, some preserve tradition and decent manners etc., but many are just folk getting above their station. Too much time spent having to comply with what others want - cycling is your time to wear what you want.

More things to worry about in life than judging someone by the top they wear cycling (like my skinny hairy legs poking out from the lycra shorts :-)

Top Bottom