'King's Road' trip W. Denmark to St Petersburg

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

lost_in_thought

Hi all! Complete newbie here!

I'm considering a trip from Essex to St Petersburg, leaving early September, getting back when I get back.

My current plan involves ferry harwich-bergen, cycle to Copenhagen, up to Oskarshamm, ferry to Gotland, explore, ferry to Nynashamm, on to Stockholm, ferry to Finland, and across to St Petersburg.

I've never done any kind of touring before, but do a good 400 miles per month commuting and leisure riding. I have a Tifosi CK7, is this a decent bike for touring? Can it take front panniers? Do I need them?

Also, how long would you allow for 100km? I reckon 100km a day is realistic, am I insane?

Has anyone any experience of getting into Russia? I'm not concerned about the peace-loving Scandis, but the last section of the trip down to St Petersburg is a touch concerning, especially as I'd be a girl on my own.

I'd also prefer to camp, have been looking at tents etc from the search function, is it realistic to carry tent/mat/sleeping bag/food/stove in just rear panniers? Should I be looking for campsites, or planning to just stop somewhere?

A friend and I are also planning to do the canal du midi in late August, which I'd be looking at as a trial run.

Any advice at all would be much appreciated! Sorry for the spanish inquisition (nobody expects it). :sad:

Haitch

Flim Flormally
Leaving in September? Just before the start of the winter?

OP
OP
L

lost_in_thought

Yep. Unfortunately I can't leave earlier, but I don't mind the cold. It's not actually that far, I'm anticipating being home before October. Unless, of course, that's completely unrealistic!

Brains

Legendary Member
A trip to Russia in the Autumn.

May a suggest a quick read of any book on Operation Barbarossa or the history of the Grand Armee.

Right place, wrong time.

OP
OP
L

lost_in_thought

I can see why you're saying that, but with work (just been made redundant) I actually spend a fair bit of time in that area, and September is really not that bad, certainly in Helsinki (northernmost point of the route) it's rare for it to drop below 5 degrees at night until mid-october, and daytime temperatures are generally early teens. I don't think that's a problematic set of conditions, really.

Brains

Legendary Member
I'd suggest Harwich/Espbjerg and then across to Copenhangen, or Harwich/Hook of Holland, and then you could follow the route of Napoleon from Antwerp to Moscow (with a turn left at Poland)

Other option would be to head south for the Autumn, follow the Rhein/Danube to Isambul. At least you would not be forced back by the onset of winter

You will find that cycle touring in Holland, Germany and France is good, lots of maps, camp sites and bike shops !

OP
OP
L

lost_in_thought

Thanks for the suggestion, but I've already rather got my heart set on this route. I was more looking for help on the other questions... And I'm not planning to go off forever, just for a month or so.

andym

Über Member
lost_in_thought said:
I have a Tifosi CK7, is this a decent bike for touring? Can it take front panniers? Do I need them?

Also, how long would you allow for 100km? I reckon 100km a day is realistic, am I insane?

[...]

I'd also prefer to camp, have been looking at tents etc from the search function, is it realistic to carry tent/mat/sleeping bag/food/stove in just rear panniers? Should I be looking for campsites, or planning to just stop somewhere?)

Does the bike have the fittings for mudguards? If yes, and you're happy riding it for 400k a week then it should be fine.

(If it doesn't have the right fittings then check around on this forum or bikeradar.com's touring forum - this is a question that comes up a lot and there are ways to put a rack on a bike without the right fittings. If you can't find the answer start a new thread).

Front panniers: again it helps if you have the fittings for mudguards and a boss on the side of the fork but again there are ways round it - Axiom do a front rack that uses the QR and clamps onto the fork (look at the Chain Reaction website).

I've gone touring carrying a tent and sleeping bag etc on just a rear rack (the tent bungeed to the top of the rack) but I didn't have any space to carry food. So I'd go for front panniers as well.

I always work on a rule of thumb of an average of 80k or 50 miles a day to allow time for rest days, doing touristy stuff etc. It sounds like you could definitely do 100k a day but leave yourself a cushion.

I'd plan on staying in campsites - especially if you are worried about security and wild camp if you need to or the fancy takes you. Don't underestimate the advantage of a hot shower at the end of a long day.

Sounds like a good route, but I'd recommend getting the ferry from Sweden to Finland via Kapellskär and the Åland islands (Viking Line)!

It's only 50 miles north of Stockholm amongst some lovely scenery and countryside, and the boat trip is more enjoyable, with fewer Swedes and Finns getting off their faces, than the Stockholm route!

Gotland is a lovely island, especially Visby.

I lived in Stockholm for 14 years and it's great for cycling (from Brentwood, originally).

Enjoy yourself. :smile:

OP
OP
L

lost_in_thought

Thanks very much for the replies! The Tifosi already has full guards, and I've put a rear rack on it. Is there any particular type of pannier bag that is better than others? I use Altura Orkneys for commuting and they're pretty waterproof, but don't allow much bungee hook space for fixing stuff to the top of the rack.

Dayvo - I've read elsewhere that Sweden has a law that you can camp anywhere - is that true? I'd imagine private land is excluded from that. Also, thanks for the route advice - I'll look into it! :evil:

Also, thanks very much andym for the 'rule of thumb' there, I thought I may have been being a tad ambitious! I'll sleep well, at least!

Are the fittings for a front rack just the mudguard bosses then? Or is there another element to it further up the fork?

Is there any logic in getting one of those really dinky little trailers instead?

Don't be put off by the time of year - go for it. Just invest in a good cagoule, some waterproof trousers and good thermals. The Mrs and I cycled across Europe at the end of winter and it was OK. In terms of panniers - get some Ortliebs (cue several posts on the virtues of Carrdice and Vaude De) they are 100% waterproof.

samid

Guru
Hi there,

If you pick your equipment carefully it is quite possible to pack all in just two rear panniers and maybe a bar bag for the camera etc.

Weather wise, September should not be too bad in St. Petersburgh, it may (and probably will) rain but there should not be any snow or sub-zero temperatures (well, maybe just a little bit during the nights).

If you have specific questions about the Russian leg of your tour I could try and ask them on some Russian cycling forums, let me know. (I'm from Moscow originally.)

andym

Über Member
Another issue to think about bikewise is whether you can fit wider tyres for greater comfort especially on rough roads.

lost_in_thought said:
Thanks very much for the replies! The Tifosi already has full guards, and I've put a rear rack on it. Is there any particular type of pannier bag that is better than others? I use Altura Orkneys for commuting and they're pretty waterproof, but don't allow much bungee hook space for fixing stuff to the top of the rack.

You could put the bungee(s) on diagonally.

Are the fittings for a front rack just the mudguard bosses then? Or is there another element to it further up the fork?

Ideally there's a threaded eyelet on the side of the fork but you can get racks with a u-shaped clamp (again check out the Axiom range).

Is there any logic in getting one of those really dinky little trailers instead?

Some people rate them - mainly I think because they say the handling of the bike is less affected going round corners. But remember that they weigh 6-8 kilos bfore you put any luggage in them which is a fair bit heavier than panniers and racks (which should come in at between 3 and 4 kilos). they're also more hassle if you're planning on travelling by train.

Top Bottom