Knee pain

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

MrGrumpy

Huge Member
Just made an appt to see the doc about my knee . Been in a hell of alot of pain this week . Worst it’s been . Been chucking pain killers down me all week. Today however is pain free ?! Had a scan just before covid hit and I had mild osteoarthritis in the right knee , no miniscus, cut away nearly 20yr ago . Still too young for a new knee, way to go I think . Do steroid injections work for a while ?

ianbarton

Veteran
Just made an appt to see the doc about my knee . Been in a hell of alot of pain this week . Worst it’s been . Been chucking pain killers down me all week. Today however is pain free ?! Had a scan just before covid hit and I had mild osteoarthritis in the right knee , no miniscus, cut away nearly 20yr ago . Still too young for a new knee, way to go I think . Do steroid injections work for a while ?

ianbarton

Veteran
I had a steroid injection but had no beneficial effect. My problem was caused by my patella being too high, so it was grating on the bones underneath. Your knee problem is different to mine so steroids may work for you.

vickster

Legendary Member

For a while if there’s inflammation. For mild to moderate OA there’s also hyaluronic acid injections, but not usually on NHS.
Steroid can damage the cartilage so best avoided if you don’t have extensive OA.
What painkillers, have you tried a topical or oral anti inflammatory? I find ice works as well as anything for inflammatory knee pain

vickster

Legendary Member
i hope so
Fingers crossed, but unfortunately the meniscus starts to break down from around 30 onwards so it could be degenerate tear (mine are pretty shredded for that reason).
If you do just need a tidy and a trim, recovery shouldn't take more than 3 months :smile: (says she who is 4 months on and no better :rolleyes:)

oldwheels

Legendary Member
I had quite severe knee pain started on Saturday which made walking even more difficult than usual. Phoned this morning and got an appointment this afternoon where my dodgy knee got checked out pretty thoroughly.
Fortunately nothing serious found and prescribed no cycling for a few days and cold compress with iboprofen gel in addition. This knee has given problems from time to time since my teens so I thought it prudent to get it checked early and thankful it is not too serious.

MrGrumpy

Huge Member
saw the consultant today , suspected torn meniscus so i have to go for an mri to confirm .

That’s where my problems started way back in my early 30s . However my knee is back to normal again . Currently abroad on holiday so maybe it’s the rest . I do have. Appt booked with the GP in June to discuss .

vickster

Legendary Member
That’s where my problems started way back in my early 30s . However my knee is back to normal again . Currently abroad on holiday so maybe it’s the rest . I do have. Appt booked with the GP in June to discuss .

My Consultant said mine might improve with warmer weather, fingers crossed now it is warming up!

Top Bottom