Knee pain

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

UphillSlowly

Making my way slowly uphill
The injection did nothing at all for me, had it some time after my first operation. I've had 2 knee operations, a high tibial osteotomy that included another procedure to fill in a large part of my medial condyle that had broken away with synthetic plugs. This never worked, In no pain though, but can't run and my knee feels like a foreign body and is kind of numb. Sure one day it will just give up. On my feet 12 hours a shift at work. Now I'm older when it goes the next step would be a full knee replacement (which was told would've done in first place if I was older). Something want to avoid at all costs, as never felt pain as bad following the first operation. Then again I'm a bit of a wuss with pain.

Also had another operation to see why my knee hadn't healed and to remove the titanium plate that was fitted when my tibia was broken during the osteotomy, to see if this was causing issues. First operation was in 2010, so can't complain. Although the surgeon told me I'd be back up on the fells again in no time... Something simply can't do anymore. Can cycle (if not too hilly), swim, or row. Just have to make the most of what you've got really if possible with dodgy knee(s).

Hope other peoples get sorted without surgery, or without really invasive surgery. I always wear a decent knee support, find it hard work without one.

Yikes! That is some ordeal for you and your knee

Cletus Van Damme

Previously known as Cheesney Hawks
Yikes! That is some ordeal for you and your knee

Thanks. Can't really think how it happened either. Most people I know with knee problems have played Rugby or other contact sports. Only thing can think of is a childhood accident in the 70's. Was shocked when saw the X-Ray with a huge part of my medial condile missing.

Just think people should research surgery procedures as it was something I never did. Just took the word of the surgeon that was all positive. Things don't always go to plan. The synthetic plugs fitted in my knee were new technology, researching after the event they often don't work. Then again the alternatives are taking a bone graft from yourself (pain in another area) or taking it from a cadaver. Again both don't sometimes work, so understand why this procedure was used as opposed to a personal bone graft. But the alternatives were never offered or discussed much at all.

On a positive note in no pain and just make the most of it. Despite limitations I'm sure they'd be them with a knee replacement.

Hope everything goes well for everybody else.

UphillSlowly

Making my way slowly uphill
Thanks. Can't really think how it happened either. Most people I know with knee problems have played Rugby or other contact sports. Only thing can think of is a childhood accident in the 70's. Was shocked when saw the X-Ray with a huge part of my medial condile missing.

Just think people should research surgery procedures as it was something I never did. Just took the word of the surgeon that was all positive. Things don't always go to plan. The synthetic plugs fitted in my knee were new technology, researching after the event they often don't work. Then again the alternatives are taking a bone graft from yourself (pain in another area) or taking it from a cadaver. Again both don't sometimes work, so understand why this procedure was used as opposed to a personal bone graft. But the alternatives were never offered or discussed much at all.

On a positive note in no pain and just make the most of it. Despite limitations I'm sure they'd be them with a knee replacement.

Hope everything goes well for everybody else.

"Best surgeons are those who know when not to operate"
My dad (retired surgeon)

OP
OP
cyberknight

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
i found i had some naproxen left over from my bad back so i have started taking that as the doc did mention it when i saw them so i will see if it helps .
Interestingly i was fettling my commuter and found the saddle was 5 mm to low .

ianbarton

Veteran

I don't really know what caused my knee problem. Having a fractured calcaneum in the opposite leg and a fracture in my spine many years ago may possibly have resulted in an uneven gait, although this wasn't apparent to me or anyone else. I tried the hydrocortisone injection, but in my case, this had no effect.

I ended up having a High Tibial Osteotomy, which in my case seems to be working well about 8 weeks post-op. Almost no pain, but there is still a lot of physio required to get back to full mobility and strength.

Cletus Van Damme

Previously known as Cheesney Hawks
I don't really know what caused my knee problem. Having a fractured calcaneum in the opposite leg and a fracture in my spine many years ago may possibly have resulted in an uneven gait, although this wasn't apparent to me or anyone else. I tried the hydrocortisone injection, but in my case, this had no effect.

I ended up having a High Tibial Osteotomy, which in my case seems to be working well about 8 weeks post-op. Almost no pain, but there is still a lot of physio required to get back to full mobility and strength.

Hope it goes well for you. The osteotomy worked for me, just the graft that didn't. Think the osteotomy is just putting the weight onto the good side of your knee. Sure it was having 2 procedures at once that caused the horrendous pain I had.

It's surprising how much muscle you lose from using crutches. Was shocked when I saw the muscle wastage on the big muscles on the top of my leg that was operated on.

Good luck hope it goes well for you.

Last edited:
OP
OP
cyberknight

cyberknight

rough today , i had to build a set of drawers for mini ck 2 last night which involved a lot of kneeling etc so i had to cancel my panned ride :sad:
I did forget to take my naproxen too yesterday as on top of the above mini ck 1 lost their airpods and inbetween building the drawers i had to help hunt the house for them whilst ck 1 was having a break down ( autistic ) so i kinda got sidetracked.
Tomorrow looks a better day anyway as its forecast to be mid 20 c and the wind will drop so i plan to be out if i feel ok

vickster

Legendary Member
rough today , i had to build a set of drawers for mini ck 2 last night which involved a lot of kneeling etc so i had to cancel my panned ride :sad:
I did forget to take my naproxen too yesterday as on top of the above mini ck 1 lost their airpods and inbetween building the drawers i had to help hunt the house for them whilst ck 1 was having a break down ( autistic ) so i kinda got sidetracked.
Tomorrow looks a better day anyway as its forecast to be mid 20 c and the wind will drop so i plan to be out if i feel ok

Oh dear. Any news on the scan?

OP
OP
cyberknight

cyberknight

Oh dear. Any news on the scan?

well i could have seen the consultant last week but the only free appointment i could get when im not at work is not till the 30th :sad: , bearing in mind i have to use most of my free holidays for mini ck 1 hospital appointments and i used a load when mrs ck had her operation i havent got much left this year

ianbarton

Veteran
Hows everyone else doing ?
I dont know if its the weather but i have been pretty good this week

Still improving. It's a bit more than 12 weeks post op. I have been on a few rides of about 12 miles with no knee problems. Pain much less than pre-op. I don't need to take painkillers any longer. I need to continue with my physio which is helping with my patella mobility.

Top Bottom