Knee pain

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
cyberknight

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
Much much better after injection last week, fingers crossed it holds.
Surgeon did suggest he could break my thigh bone to realign my knee (osteotomy), didn’t make it sound super appealing :wacko:

The weather helps my mood no end too :smile:

This weather I'm sweating all day at work, people have been known to pass out

OP
OP
cyberknight

cyberknight

Confirmed torn meniscus at the back of the knee

OP
OP
cyberknight

cyberknight

Good luck. Make sure you book plenty of time off work to recover and rehab properly. It’ll take longer than the surgeon will tell you!!

Work standard is 2 weeks then another 2 building up, luckily it's a week before shut down so I get 3 weeks rest

ianbarton

Veteran
He has private HC through work

Good. The NHS has been good in the past (bowel cancer recently and broken bones years ago). However, my GP wasn't interested in referring me to a surgeon, although I was struggling to walk any distance. I have been to see my GP about 4 times in more than 10 years, so it wasn't as though I was always complaining about some minor ailment!

vickster

Legendary Member
Good. The NHS has been good in the past (bowel cancer recently and broken bones years ago). However, my GP wasn't interested in referring me to a surgeon, although I was struggling to walk any distance. I have been to see my GP about 4 times in more than 10 years, so it wasn't as though I was always complaining about some minor ailment!

Don’t think the NHS willingly offers wash outs and minor menisectomy for degenerative/ age related tears for just pain, has to be a biomechanical issue such as a locked knee unless all conservative measures have been tried and failed

ianbarton

Veteran
Don’t think the NHS willingly offers wash outs and minor menisectomy for degenerative/ age related tears for just pain, has to be a biomechanical issue such as a locked knee unless all conservative measures have been tried and failed

When mine was properly diagnosed by having an MRI scan, it wasn't a minor problem. My patella was misaligned for some reason and was grating over the two lower leg bones. Before the operation, I had tried a year of physio and a steroid injection neither of which had a positive outcome. If my GP had sent me for an MRI scan rather than an X-ray my problem could probably have been fixed a year earlier.

The operation involved moving my patella, inserting a wedge and several screws to hold it all together. Hardly a minor procedure.

Last edited:

vickster

Legendary Member
When mine was properly diagnosed by having an MRI scan, it wasn't a minor problem. My patella was misaligned for some reason and was grating over the two lower leg bones. Before the operation, I had tried a year of physio and a steroid injection neither of which had a positive outcome. If my GP had sent me for an MRI scan rather than an X-ray my problem could probably have been fixed a year earlier.

The operation involved moving my patella, inserting a wedge and several screws to hold it all together. Hardly a minor procedure.

Indeed an osteotomy isn’t, but that’s not the case for the OP who has a (small) meniscus tear. Your question was about his issue not yours?

OP
OP
cyberknight

cyberknight

Another reason I'm glad to have private health care, did the whole go X ray physio route who were so slow .now I know the NHS is overburdened etc but sometimes you fall through the cracks like when I broke my collar bone in 2 places and I kept being told to see how it goes.

Top Bottom