Ladies saddle soreness

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Doobiesis

Über Member
a problem I’ve had since day zero.

More recently, I have had a professional bike fit which I hasten to add, cost me £230, and he moved my saddle to the right position and is level. But since I’ve been riding I’ve got very sore lady bits. Have had to slant the saddle again, but this means I keep falling forward and have to adjust my seating position every other minute, which is taking some of my energy up.

I have a ladies Selle saddle, so not a bad saddle in the cycling world

Does anyone have any further advise, or should I go back to my bike fitter?

vickster

Legendary Member
Yes go back to the fitter (as you paid £230 :ohmy:. ) and maybe try some different saddles (can the fitter lend you some)

Or just move it back to where it was if you were ok...not sure what ‘right’ position means?

If you have actual sores, don’t ride any sort of aggravating distance until healed

OP
OP
Doobiesis

Doobiesis

Über Member
I was never ok, as I had the saddle so slanted I was wasting energy pushing myself up every minute.

I have emailed the bike fitters in the hope that I can go back and they can help me further. I’m sick of not being able to cycle over 30 miles without some kind of ailment. :sad:

vickster

Legendary Member
I can’t either at the mo, just enjoy what I can manage. Hopefully end up around 30 tomorrow. Done over 900 miles this year, lots of 5-10 mile rides!

I have my saddles level

Last edited:

wisdom

Guru
Are you wearing female specific shorts.
Good ones may help but as others have mentioned try different saddles.Your lbs could help trying some out.

wyre forest blues

Über Member
1. Assos Chamois Cream.
2. If you can get hold of one try a Brooks saddle. Like Marmite, you'll love it or hate it.
3. High quality shorts with good pads

OP
OP
Doobiesis

Doobiesis

Über Member
I have very good shorts Castelli and chamois cream won’t help me where the pain is.

I have a Selle Italia saddle with the middle cut out

I was reading that ladies, when they’re riding on drop bars, have all the pressure in the front which is why a lot of ladies always get the pain.

A Brook saddle is not suitable for long distance.

I have relieved the pressure but have dropped my saddle down so it’s at an angle, which does not make for comfortable riding over 30 miles.

vickster

Legendary Member
I have very good shorts Castelli and chamois cream won’t help me where the pain is.

I have a Selle Italia saddle with the middle cut out

I was reading that ladies, when they’re riding on drop bars, have all the pressure in the front which is why a lot of ladies always get the pain.

A Brook saddle is not suitable for long distance.

I have relieved the pressure but have dropped my saddle down so it’s at an angle, which does not make for comfortable riding over 30 miles.
Friend of mine did 900km of LEL on a Brooks saddle. Plenty of audaxers use them for 600km and longer rides, tourists for long multiple day tours. Depends if it works for you or not...like any saddle

Sounds like you definitely need to go back to the fitter (I assume a reassessment is included if needed given the v high cost...what sort of fit was it? On bike, a jig, Retul?)

Your prior shoulder injury isn’t affecting how you sit?

OP
OP
Doobiesis

Doobiesis

Über Member
Friend of mine did 900km of LEL on a Brooks saddle. Plenty of audaxers use them for 600km and longer rides, tourists for long multiple day tours. Depends if it works for you or not...like any saddle

Sounds like you definitely need to go back to the fitter (I assume a reassessment is included if needed given the v high cost...what sort of fit was it? On bike, a jig, Retul?)

Your prior shoulder injury isn’t affecting how you sit?
It was a precision fit Retul. He stated that my shoulder was not affecting the way I cycled. And to be honest it has alleviated my foot and hand numbness. And I have begun reaching over 14mph avg speed. I have emailed them to see what they suggest. I am going to level the saddle slightly for tomorrow. I always have moved about on the saddle a lot, which with some training I could nip in the bud.

If you've had problems from "Day Zero", it sounds like your saddle is the wrong shape for you. Most likely it's too narrow, so you're sitting over it rather than on it, and, since your sit bones aren't supported right, you're putting more pressure where you'd rather not be... Been there, done that...

The other equally valid possibility is that your saddle has too much padding, so you're sinking into it. Same difference, really, and IIRC, Selle Italia saddles are quite squishy.

I have Charge Ladle saddles on both my bikes, and they work fine for me. Might be worth a punt - Charge saddles seem to suit a lot of bottoms, and they're inexpensive in the scheme of things. They are on the firm side, but are nice and wide on the back. They don't have a cut out that goes all the way through like the Selle Italia, but the frame has a cutout in the right place when you look at it from the underside.

Oddly enough, I have the nose pointing down a little on my road bike, but have the saddle level on my hybrid. I can easily do 25 miles riding unpadded on either bike.

vickster

Legendary Member
Try the Specialized saddles the body geometry ones, and find a stockist so they can you on the butt o meter on you.

Best cash I spent was on that saddle and it wasn’t crazy expensive.
Goes to show, a Specialized one was the worst Saddle I bought, right width, wrong shape possibly. Killed my nether regions but looked lovely on the bike I bought it for though :laugh:

Bontrager, no cut out seem to suit me fwiw

Top Bottom