Laura Trott interview about London cyclist

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Cycling Dan

Cycle Crazy
As with all things like this, it'd be interesting to hear a full transcript of the interview, rather than a few choice quotes.
Author would just pick what suits there agenda. Most important reason to be careful and why most people hire script writers as it leaves for no room of deviation.

Except in the sun where the anti-cycling agenda is now fully supported by a pretty blonde cycling expert who has unequivocally stated that all accidents are the fault of the cyclist!

The Headline:

Olympian: ‘Cyclists causing crashes’

The first part of the story:

DOUBLE Olympic bike champ Laura Trott has blamed rogue cyclists for causing road accidents.

Thanks Laura

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
Except in the sun where the anti-cycling agenda is now fully supported by a pretty blonde cycling expert who has unequivocally stated that all accidents are the fault of the cyclist!

The Headline:

The first part of the story:

Thanks Laura

She has?

Jezston

Über Member
Bloody hell, this is the third time in, what, a month, where respected professional british sports cyclists have come out and said really bloody stupid nonsense about cyclists behaviour and helmets.

Are they all saying this to please their sponsors at Kask or something?

Jezston

Über Member
Wiggins did that first time he said he thought helmets should be compulsary - took it back the next day, saying he never said that.

Few months later he says they should be compulsary again.

deptfordmarmoset

Full time tea drinker
TfL's cycling ambassador might do well to have a look at TfL's own guidance.

''Consider wearing a helmet, and if worn choose one that fits properly. Tighten the straps so that the helmet doesn't move or slip when on.''

Born2die

I personally use a skid lid and I always make sure mini me does too even if I'm following her at a heady 6mph. If she sees me doing it I'm hoping she will alays follow suit.

I was at a&e the other week (always remember the frying pan you have taken out the oven has a hot handle :tongue: )a girl of 14 was in she had binned it when someone had stopped off a bus in front of her . Had she been wearing her helmet it would have saved her from some painful stitches and a trip to casualty.

I see far too many parents making sure there kids put on lids but then don't themselves.

Jezston

Über Member
Had she been wearing her helmet....

Here we go again...
( @Born2die - to save you the hassle of the inevitable sh*tshow that happens any time someone says something like that, you don't know what would happened if she was wearing a helmet, no one does, no one has actually ever properly studied what modern bicycle helmets actually do - and then there's the focus on her wearing a helmet, rather than why this crash actually happened and how it could have been avoided to start with)

Born2die

True but the stitches were on the top of her head so whilst I agree we never know what if x y or z in this instance it would haved saved her it wouldn't however helped all the other scratches and bruises she had on her face and hands

shouldbeinbed

Rollin' along
@LauraTrott - Before offering your opinion, please research what cycle helmet compulsion did to rider numbers in Australia. Then research helmet use in the Netherlands.

Now get back on your bike and do what you're paid to do. Leave real-world cycling to people who ride without the benefit of closed roads, marshalls and doctor's cars following us.

Regards, CP

[Kiss]
I think on the face of the quotes in the London Standard article, she's passing off her personal opinion on her sisters injuries as medical facts compelling helmet use & is utterly wrong to do so.

but she is a pro cyclist and doesn't get to that level of fitness and condition by merely bowling up to the closed road events, I'm sure her, Wiggins, Cavendish et al, who have spouted IMO unhelpful nonsense recently, are doing so from a position of riding thousands of training miles a year on open roads at the same mercy of knobbish, distracted or just plain incompetent drivers as the rest of us riding day in day out.

Top Bottom