Laura Trott interview about London cyclist

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

subaqua

What’s the point
I personally use a skid lid and I always make sure mini me does too even if I'm following her at a heady 6mph. If she sees me doing it I'm hoping she will alays follow suit.

I was at a&e the other week (always remember the frying pan you have taken out the oven has a hot handle :tongue: )a girl of 14 was in she had binned it when someone had stopped off a bus in front of her . Had she been wearing her helmet it would have saved her from some painful stitches and a trip to casualty.

I see far too many parents making sure there kids put on lids but then don't themselves.

fair enough, but in the case of most of the cycling fatalities this year wearing a helmet would not have saved the life of the deceased.

A plastic hat and a bit of polystyrene doesn't do much to protect you from crushing torso injuries. Yes I wear a helmet, but through choice ( my wifes) , and it protects my hearing ( from the wifes nagging). when i take the bikes for a quick spin round the block following fettling I don't wear one.

shouldbeinbed

Rollin' along
... and no more qualified to speak on these matters than the guy on the BSO commuting to work each day.
my point exactly, 'qualified' to an opinion in a way denied by CP's post but only the same as the rest of us who pedal amongst the metal.

but in the world of celebrity worship we're forced to live in, her opinion on anything is worth far more to the average joe or journo hack than yours, mine & the rest of CC combined.

thom

____
One thing that I don't think has been mentioned is something my girlfriend got pissed off about with Laura Trott's interview.
The Evening Standard piece apparently came with a picture of Laura, relatively close wearing some kind of hot-pants. Her resentful observation was that this woman, in being prepared to use a sexy image to promote herself in a newspaper regarding cycling in London, was completely oblivious to the reality of cycling in London for women. Namely, the incessant catcalls and harassment for even those who are not revealing much. She thought L Trott would be in tears after a 45 min commute through south London dressed as she was.
I'm curious as to whether this chimes with other women's experiences of London commuting ?

thom

____
... sigh.
Is that a reaction to my post ? If so, do you mind explaining a but more ?
I'm genuinely interested about women cycle commuters getting harassed by drivers in London.

U

User6179

Good grief, and this guy is 'lead reporter' for the newspaper?

Ladies and Gentlement, please direct your complaints to http://www.sundaypost.com/contact-us-1.86122 rather than comments on the stupid article.

I thought the article was rather good , that is in showing how bad this journalist is , cycled the route once into edinburgh and found it terrible so I can see why the locals choose the road .

...and the Sunday Post!
However reading the Comments, the story has rather backfired:biggrin:
http://www.sundaypost.com/news-views/uk/reckless-cyclists-snub-dedicated-cycle-routes-1.125884

Bladon is the hypocritical voice of the Association of British Drivers.

Classics are claiming that marked Police Cars should not be allowed to police traffic as they pose a danger to motorists (Apparently the poor motorists are forced to divert their attention to looking for Police Cars!)

The other was a simultaneous tirade about throwing the book at cyclists who cycled on the pavement , and then stating that fining drivers for parking onthe pavement was victimisation!

ComedyPilot

Secret Lemonade Drinker
I think on the face of the quotes in the London Standard article, she's passing off her personal opinion on her sisters injuries as medical facts compelling helmet use & is utterly wrong to do so.

but she is a pro cyclist and doesn't get to that level of fitness and condition by merely bowling up to the closed road events, I'm sure her, Wiggins, Cavendish et al, who have spouted IMO unhelpful nonsense recently, are doing so from a position of riding thousands of training miles a year on open roads at the same mercy of knobbish, distracted or just plain incompetent drivers as the rest of us riding day in day out.
Therefore, her comments should have been to the govt/judiciary to act on the knobbish drivers - not make the victim responsible......

Top Bottom