LBS expanding but moving out of town

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

PaulSB

Legendary Member
As an aside, as I'm not sure it's relevant to the thread, I live 8 miles from MK Cycles. I've lived here for 38 years, we have 190 members in my cycle club, I've ridden the Edgerton Road countless times. In all those years I've never seen a sign or heard anyone mention the place!!!!!

Like @Tom B when we need a cafe in the area we would use Lottie's, Vaughan's at Tockholes or The Bowling Green at Rivington.

Is it near the bleach works??

@IanSmithCSE as above I've never visited but given the location I don't think the lack of cycles is surprising. One has to be very local to have any reason to use the road plus of the 190 odd cyclists I know I doubt any have heard of the place.

I'll be suggesting we have a look during one of next week's rides.

Tom B

Guru
As an aside, as I'm not sure it's relevant to the thread, I live 8 miles from MK Cycles. I've lived here for 38 years, we have 190 members in my cycle club, I've ridden the Edgerton Road countless times. In all those years I've never seen a sign or heard anyone mention the place!

Is it near the bleach works??

Yup. Of you head into Egerton Road from Belmont side it's on the right at the bottom of the first dip. Opposite those really thin "giraffe pelly and me" houses.

PaulSB

Legendary Member
Yup. Of you head into Egerton Road from Belmont side it's on the right at the bottom of the first dip. Opposite those really thin "giraffe pelly and me" houses.
Thanks Tom. I know exactly where you mean. Can't believe I've never spotted it. Next ride I will be going for a look round.

Dan77

I’ve almost fallen into the river at the Camp too but I think the scrumpy was responsible for that...

It seems the Camp has fallen into the river now (again). 🙁
Screenshot_20210124-125353.jpg

Screenshot_20210124-125417.jpg

Good morning,

A running shoes shop (The Active Foot Company) that was almost opposite one of the LBS sites (the more town centrey (sic) one) has closed its store and plans to reopen in the other soon to be vacated LBS site.

Running shoe shops didn't get to stay open and the business is apparently still operating mail order, but mail order was never really their thing, that was individual attention, so the mail order may be pretty low volume catering mainly for existing customers.

The new location is a slightly bigger store and shoes take up a lot less space than bikes but they have no maintenance or upgrade revenue. Both locations are quite close to schools with pupils of wealthy parents but Worcester does have a decent sized Sports Direct.

The only other observation is the the new location looks likely to be owned by a landlord who is aware of the current local market rates and wants to fill the store than some other locations in Worcester that are Crown Estate or owned by very large landlords who may be more relaxed about empty properties.

Bye

Ian

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
nThe only other observation is the the new location looks likely to be owned by a landlord who is aware of the current local market rates and wants to fill the store than some other locations in Worcester that are Crown Estate or owned by very large landlords who may be more relaxed about empty properties.

There's two types of people in the business world - realists and in denials. One will adjust their prices to fit the economic climate, the other will hold out for top dollar even if it means not selling much product.
Not cycling related, but I spotted something on eBay the other day, listed on BIN or best offer. It was more than I wanted to pay, so I put in an offer, which was instantly auto-rejected. I put another one in, which was slightly over what I was really happy paying. Auto-rejected instantly again. Sod it I thought, I'll buy elsewhere.
Found good used items on realistic bids listings, so bidded on two and if I win both it will still be well under what I offered for just one new item.

Good morning.

I looked in a few weeks ago as I rode past and was barked at. By a dog not a person. :smile:

They've got a nice Kinesis titanium bike in the window at the moment and recently I saw a Croix De Fer there, they are Genesis (according to the Genesis site) and Kinesis dealers. So I wonder if the opening is going to have some borrowed demos or if they have enough bikes.

I would love a see a Pashly Morgan, https://www.pashleystore.co.uk/coll...cts/pashley-morgan-110?variant=31324013428833 It is a 725 1x10 with mild off road tyres and mudguards, all for £1790.

Bye

Ian

Tom B

Guru

Good morning,

Reading the article
Looking back Laura says that they will miss the customers the most because they became more like family, and the shop became more like a workshop.

She said: “Our customers were the best and I know everyone says that, but they were like family and friends.

“We became incredibly friendly with them, and I think that’s what kept us going for so long.

It sounds like they got confused between having a hobby and running a business!

Laura said that although the cycling industry was 'quite fruitful' during Covid, but that the pandemic did take its toll on the industry with a disrupted supply chain making it harder to get in stock
Sorry but this sounds like we had a good period, didn't think about it and just spent the money rather than keeping a lot of it back.

The article seems to imply that nobody has bought the business, which makes sense as you would inherit the existing customers and need to win or win back those who wanted something more impersonal.

Laura – who is already trained in reiki and holistic healing – is set to launch her new website ....., which will sell a range of spiritual items, including plenty of crystals.
Brings a certain type of person to mind.:smile:

With 10speed plus stuff lasting for so few miles once you have sold the bike you have a stream of repeat business for chains, cassettes and chainrings. :laugh:

IF you have them in stock and not We can get it in for you, so please come back next week and pay an extra 30% for this service, last year only about 10% of my £660 running cost was spent at an LBS and that was a desperation fit of a BB30 as I didn't have the right tools, SPA and SJS got most of the rest with Paul Milne Cycles getting a bit.

Bye

Ian

sevenfourate

Devotee of OCD
I started / wanted to support my LBS and form a relationship - even after paying £300 more for one bike from them compared to online. But they then weren’t hugely accommodating or quick in terms of repairs. *Maybe I just always needed work done at really busy times ?
And were very expensive on parts (*The ones they actually did have in stock). The final straw was when they wouldn’t take back some parts wrongly supplied…..

I understand they are a business and need to prioritise what pays. But I literally saw no allegiance, no thanks, no deals / reductions etc for repeat custom etc etc - and hence no reason to literally ‘support’ them any longer.

I buy parts online, do what I can on the bikes myself - and have found a local mechanic to do the tougher tasks. Shame…….

Tom B

Guru
Agreed.

I remember speaking with Ryan when they moved from Tonge Moor Road. It seemed like he'd lost the love for the business and seemed really sldown in the mouth his wife seemed behind the coffee shop idea and margins that brings.

She seemed to be the driving force behind the couple and their change of direction seems to be again driven by her.

Despite going past the Bleach works site at least daily I don't ever recall seeing signage or seeing them promoting the business. I'm not one for doing group rides or meets but am a member a couple of local clubs and Facebook pages who are quite active visiting local cafes and what not, never once was they mentioned in contrast with The Drop Off Cafe who are really active on Social media, organising rides and driving awareness to the point that swarms of cyclists seem to upset the neighbours! Nearby to MK Lottie's, The Black Dog, Rivington Barns, Rivington Tea Rooms, Vaughans Cafe (and for some Pete's Pitstop) are all really visible and busy with cyclists and walkers. Not opening Sundays didn't help, with kids I understand that, but I think that would be the time to make hay, even if it was with a staff.

They really seemed to have lacked the energy and drive. It's a really shame.

newts

Veteran
I started / wanted to support my LBS and form a relationship - even after paying £300 more for one bike from them compared to online. But they then weren’t hugely accommodating or quick in terms of repairs. *Maybe I just always needed work done at really busy times ?
And were very expensive on parts (*The ones they actually did have in stock). The final straw was when they wouldn’t take back some parts wrongly supplied…..

I understand they are a business and need to prioritise what pays. But I literally saw no allegiance, no thanks, no deals / reductions etc for repeat custom etc etc - and hence no reason to literally ‘support’ them any longer.

I buy parts online, do what I can on the bikes myself - and have found a local mechanic to do the tougher tasks. Shame…….

I've spent a lot of money in a large LBS local to me over the years, eventually I tired of their very arrogant/rude attitude of being too far up themselves & now buy most spares/clothing online.

Top Bottom