Learning to ride a new bike

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

darthpaul

So I have been commuting almost 3 years on a Giant hard tail mountain bike with 1.5s on and it just became easy. Now I have just got myself a 2nd cycle to work bike but this time i have taken the plunge and got a road bike. A nice Giant Defy 2 (2012 edition) and its like learning to ride again!

Never been clipped in before and now I am so I have to think about that, means approaching junctions and traffic is a whole new game! Also its Autumn so there are wet leaves, mud and generally wet roads! I am wondering if I chose the wrong time of year to make the switch! Although my times are tumbling now and the hills I used to struggle up seem so much easier now.

Nearly there

Veteran
Many people use road bikes all year i know some have a winter bike and summer bike but im sure many only have the one,however your bike will feel the elements more over winter and will need more TLC maybe you could use both ride your older bike when the weathers really horrible and ride your Giant when its decent weather which we do get over winter
biggrin.gif

OP
OP
darthpaul

darthpaul

Yeah I planned on using the hard tail in the crap weather and when icy, would just like some dry roads so I can get used to the grip on thinner tyres!

vickster

Legendary Member
Why not stick to flat (or even double sided - platform/SPD) pedals for the autumn/winter and do the clipless thing at weekends and in the better weather?

You don't *have* to have clipless on a road bike - better safe than sorry and taking a flyer and damaging the bike ;)

Top Bottom