Leaving a bike locked in London

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
gasinayr

gasinayr

Über Member
Thanks for that info icowden, he contacted Bankside yesterday and registered with them, advised they are moving to a bigger better park so hopefully he will get a space it

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
icowden said:
That there London isn't as bad as most people think

Yes it is. A trip into London is the bike thief's equivalent of a kid visiting Hamley's toy shop before Christmas. All the choice they could possibly want and QR front wheels and saddles always on special offer, a free gift from the naïve riders who are careless in their locking up regime.

Dwn said:
I used a very heavy d lock when I took my road bike to work.

Effective for the most part, but lugging really heavy locks around sort of defeats the object of riding a lightweight bike. The all-up weight of bike plus D locks is not likely to be any less than just running a cheap heavy bike. And no-one has yet invented an angle grinder proof bike lock, no matter how thick and heavy it might be.

I once had my saddle stolen from around the back of Gray's Inn: it was more challenging than I'd imagined to ride very far without a saddle.

Parts theft from bikes in London is very common. I once noticed an expensive full-sus MTB that had been D- locked to some railings in a dodgy area outside a station, whilst going for a beer. It was intact at 9.30 PM. By the time I returned to the location 2 1/2 hours later, the bike had ben transformed into a bare frame plus rear wheel, with absolutely everything else gone, including the front fork, stem and bars. The D lock stopped the whole bike getting taken, but the cost of replacing all the nicked bits would probably be no cheaper than buying a whole bike

bitsandbobs

Über Member
Effective for the most part, but lugging really heavy locks around sort of defeats the object of riding a lightweight bike. The all-up weight of bike plus D locks is not likely to be any less than just running a cheap heavy bike. And no-one has yet invented an angle grinder proof bike lock, no matter how thick and heavy it might be.

I left one or two D locks permanently attached to a stand where I locked up my bike. Didn't bother carting them to and from work every day.

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
I left one or two D locks permanently attached to a stand where I locked up my bike. Didn't bother carting them to and from work every day.

I would do the same if I was always leaving it in the same place, but that depends on individual bike use. Some riders will need to visit multiple locations, where lugging heavy locks around all the time would be a pain.

When I started London bike commuting I built up a hack bike based on a nice but scrappy looking old frame. I used bolt-on wheels and seat post but security levers are OK. Quick release or quick steal is not good.
QR accessories get stolen but bolt on dynamo lighting does not. Use a good lock on a scruffy bike. Park next to a nice bike with a scruffy lock. Always lock up transmission side against the fence or rack. Avoid well known weak lockups such a sign posts you can lift a bike over or a bike rack that has been tampered with. Beware someone else locking your bike or disabling your lock. They will be back later...
Don't bother with bike insurance except for 3rd party. Keep a pot of money for a cheap replacement bike.

I store the D lock under a bungie on top of my rear rack. This is quick, convenient and rattle free and also doubles up as a blunt implement when required.

OP
OP
gasinayr

gasinayr

Über Member
Had a look at security skewers for wheels and seat not very impressed with them.
Looked at skewers on bike, there is a hole in them, you can loop a plastic cable tie through the hole and round the front fork and rear chain stay, need snips to remove the wheels.
Son talked to his boss yesterday was told boss has been talking the owners of the building about use of underground car park for employees with bikes, keep fingers crossed.

jay clock

Massive member
Had a look at security skewers for wheels and seat not very impressed with them.
Looked at skewers on bike, there is a hole in them, you can loop a plastic cable tie through the hole and round the front fork and rear chain stay, need snips to remove the wheels.
Son talked to his boss yesterday was told boss has been talking the owners of the building about use of underground car park for employees with bikes, keep fingers crossed.
Cutting off cable ties is a second with a knife/nail clippers. Or just insert a screwdriver into the gap and twist a few times. Security skewers at least need a tool or two

icowden

Veteran
Parts theft from bikes in London is very common. I once noticed an expensive full-sus MTB that had been D- locked to some railings in a dodgy area outside a station, whilst going for a beer. I

I think you just summed up the problem. Don't leave your bike in a dodgy area. Try and find somewhere busy, in full view. Take off the nickable bits and lock up the rest.

Using the building's parking garage is obviously the best solution. The office I work in in London Bridge has an underground car park accessibly by pass or remote by reception. Inside the car park is a locked (combination lock) cage with bike racks in. That said, despite the fact that they have CCTV and security, there have been a couple of bike thefts of unsecured bikes. Usually when someone has left the exit door to the car park open.

roley poley

Über Member
don't forget to check the "thing" you attach to for anchor point ...does it wobble in the ground? can in be lifted out with a firm tug? if using a signpost could the bike be lifted up and over the top after squishing the thin plate notice to the pole or it's removal? can you see the bolts to undo the anchor point then so can a thief

OP
OP
gasinayr

gasinayr

Über Member
Well son has started commuting and leaving his bike locked up with D lock & cable round frame and wheels, also cable lock fitted through seat rails, rack and frame seat stays. Yesterday he went back to bike after work to find an "extra seat and stem" sitting beside his bike, no idea where it came from so just left it there and went home.

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
Yesterday he went back to bike after work to find an "extra seat and stem" sitting beside his bike, no idea where it came from so just left it there and went home.

He obviously hasn't grasped the concept of getting free spare parts when they are on offer then! I'd have definitely had the saddle, and the stem too if it was a quill type. If it was threadless, I'd have turned my nose up at it!

Top Bottom