Leaving a bike locked in London

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

vickster

Legendary Member
He obviously hasn't grasped the concept of getting free spare parts when they are on offer then! I'd have definitely had the saddle, and the stem too if it was a quill type. If it was threadless, I'd have turned my nose up at it!
Presumably seatpost to go with saddle, rather than a handlebar stem?

He works at Bankside so he will be leaving somewhere near there

I left my single speed bike in the racks outside Waterloo station for 10 years, try and get a spot right in front of the entrance on the top row, use two d-locks and a cable because a thief will want a quick getaway and the combo of highly visible double locks, cable and being up high i think helps.

OP
OP
gasinayr

gasinayr

Über Member
Well the bad boys didnt waste any time, tried stealing his bike yesterday, thankfully the good d lock beat them, damaged the key hole in the lock and had to call out a locksmith to cut it open, No more cummuting i think.

vickster

Legendary Member
:angry:
did he get anywhere with secure parking?

Can he get an old clunker that is less appealing?
or Can he get a Brompton (eg on c2w) and keep it under desk?

OP
OP
gasinayr

gasinayr

Über Member

It.s a bit worse than I was told last night, wrecked the top tube trying to get lock off. Rode it home last night and seems ok but taking it in to Evans for a safety check just in case. Boss is now letting him park in shop and E mailing building owners for use of underground parking space. A bit late now !

Can he move jobs and work up North instead 🥴
Sounds a shower of S***e that Londidium place ☺
No crime up north of course.
So little crime they are closing police stations.

Last edited:
  • Laugh
Reactions: mjr
View attachment 534909

It.s a bit worse than I was told last night, wrecked the top tube trying to get lock off. Rode it home last night and seems ok but taking it in to Evans for a safety check just in case. Boss is now letting him park in shop and E mailing building owners for use of underground parking space. A bit late now !
Really sorry to hear this.
I don't think you ever told us what the bike was.
Can we ask what it was?
Frame material?
How new, approx value?
Also, how far is the chap's journey?

ozboz

Guru
32C8B880-586B-4E82-BE91-312E166D59ED.jpeg

Not the best deterrent, this is in a gym car park so obviously a vehicle involved ,
as for D locks , I had a distress call a young lad had lost his keys so I went along and it took 2 mins or less to cut off with my grinder and a s/s cut off blade, no passers by took any notice .
As for busy area , my gf had her lock cut off it
was chained to the entrance railings outside Chiswick Town Hall , the Tw—st will get them if they want ,
There is a big push in London for alternative commuting , they are going to spend millions apparently on cycle lanes etc , security is seemingly not high on the list for those in a similar situation to your Lad ,

Top Bottom