Leaving a bike locked in London

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
gasinayr

gasinayr

Über Member
If you are lucky, those "jakies" will be already known to the Police, and if they want to get those stats up...
Yes, the CC footage has been passed to the beat cops for that area, so we will wait and see what happens

OP
OP
gasinayr

gasinayr

Über Member
Son was asked to go to police station today to give a statement, seems the Jakies are known to police and he might get some compensation if they are taken to court. While he was at police station he got a call from work advising that a clients bike had just been stolen from same bike rack he had used.

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
In cities like London if I can't see my bike when locked I don't need to go there.

The majority of the time when I leave a bike unattended I am less than a hundred yards away from it, but I rarely have a constant clear line of sight to it. TBH, I also have better things to do with my time when out and about than being on constant high alert bike watch. If nothing else, it's very tedious and distracting from the activity I actually went out to do in the first place. Peace of mind is worthless hack flavoured when it comes to urban utility cycling.

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
Having read all this I know why bike insurance is so expensive now....

Bike insurance is expensive because generally the only people who bother to have it are the ones who own expensive bikes and insist on using them in high risk locations. That means the whole insurance risk pool is dodgy and is not diluted by having a large number of insured low-value, low theft risk bikes. i suspect there's also a disproportionate amount of bike insurance fraud being perpetrated compared with motor or household domestic claims.

classic33

Leg End Member
Bike insurance is expensive because generally the only people who bother to have it are the ones who own expensive bikes and insist on using them in high risk locations. That means the whole insurance risk pool is dodgy and is not diluted by having a large number of insured low-value, low theft risk bikes. i suspect there's also a disproportionate amount of bike insurance fraud being perpetrated compared with motor or household domestic claims.
And some folk only have one bike, so why not get the best they can afford?Storage space, at home, can be a limiting factor as well.

Why this constant dragging down of people who buy expensive bikes, especially if it's their only bike.

Oldhippy

Cynical idealist
It's a Rayleigh Royal I got new and had for years upgrading as I went along. It does all I need it to and more.

It's a Rayleigh Royal I got new and had for years upgrading as I went along. It does all I need it to and more.
I'd leave that suitably locked in a suitable place in london, or get a second bike for locking if possible. Plenty of things to be doing in town(at least outside this hell) and can't be cramping your style with having to bikesit.

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
And some folk only have one bike, so why not get the best they can afford?

No-one is forced to only have one bike no matter how tight your storage space is. A cheap hack can always live outside, even on the street chained to a railing or lamp post if you haven't got a garden. Two of mine are currently locked up in the garden, with carrier bags over the saddles. The chains get a quick squirt of lube before being ridden and that's all they need.
Even if you only have one bike, why the need for it to be an expensive one? Plenty of people only have one car, and they aren't all Rolls-Royces. There's absolutely nothing wrong with only having cheap bikes, cheap cars, cheap phones, cheap jeans or cheap anything else - so long as the item is functional and fit for purpose.

rivers

How far can I go?
No-one is forced to only have one bike no matter how tight your storage space is. A cheap hack can always live outside, even on the street chained to a railing or lamp post if you haven't got a garden. Two of mine are currently locked up in the garden, with carrier bags over the saddles. The chains get a quick squirt of lube before being ridden and that's all they need.
Even if you only have one bike, why the need for it to be an expensive one? Plenty of people only have one car, and they aren't all Rolls-Royces. There's absolutely nothing wrong with only having cheap bikes, cheap cars, cheap phones, cheap jeans or cheap anything else - so long as the item is functional and fit for purpose.

I wouldn't lock up a bike I paid £10 for in my neighbourhood. It wouldn't be there in the morning. And that's the sad reality of many places in the UK.

rivers

How far can I go?
During the day?
I wouldn't generally leave a bike overnight anywhere.
I was responding to skipdiver john's quote "A cheap hack can always live outside, even on the street chained to a railing or lamp post if you haven't got a garden. " I couldn't even leave a cheap bike outside for much over half a day where I live. Even during the day, it would be gone.

Top Bottom