Leeds-Scarborough 30 September 2017: The White Rose Classic

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

si_c

Guru
Ow. Ow. Ow.

DiddlyDodds

Random Resident
Just the one photo from yesterday
20170930_093820.jpg

Skolly you've got a reprieve. Now the rain has stopped I'm going for a walk, so will check back for the box.

A fantastic ride and day out on the bike. Great to see old friends and new ones too. Immensely enjoyed the banter and company of all. Despite the heavy rain as we approach Scarborough, it didn't 'dampen' our sprits or upbeat mood one bit. Equally as enjoyable a day as last year when the sun was shining from beginning to end.
A big thank you to @nickyboy for organising and leading the ride.

Yes, @ColinJ , I'm definitely as mad as a hatter for giving up a warm train and the very short 300 metres from Littleborough station to home for the 10.5 mile ride home in the pouring rain, dark and cold from Hebden Bridge. More 'worrying' is the fact that I really got a buzz from it! Mission accomplished in respect of getting the century of miles in with my total for the day being 101.9 miles. All the same though, I'm not convinced you have any fewer 'loose crews' for sacrificing the Chip shop fayre to get your century knocked up too ^_^! @wanda2010, thanks for providing my 2nd helping of chips, it saved me waiting in a much longer queue than when I got my first helping. Glad you had a cosy relaxing evening at the hotel and hope you had a pleasant journey home to London.

But there were many individual tales of resilience, gritty determination and camaraderie.
@I like Skol - selflessly sacrificing his lunch to assist @alibaba with his mechanical woes
@alibaba - for maintaining his perpetual chirpyness in the face of adversity
@si_c - stoically shrugging off his badly gashed leg following his fall Hope it mends quickly!
@Pale Rider - for the considerable achievement of getting his ultra tough tyre off the rim of his e-bike. And also for looking 'Mr Cool' with cigar as he rides off into the sun (well perhaps 'rain' not 'sun'). Truly, the 'Clint Eastwood' of the biking world!
@Kestevan - for not only doing the ride but being talked into riding the hilly version when not fully recovered from a nasty gastric bug.

Sorry if I've missed anyone out as we all have a tale to tell. This annual ride is rapidly accumulating it's own folklore of personal and group exploits.

Of course, mega 'madness' is riding back again today against a headwind and, after an evening of bevvies. I wonder who is doing that @I like Skol?

Have a relaxing day all. Looking forward to next year's ride already.

Last edited:
Top Bottom