Leeds-Scarborough 30 September 2017: The White Rose Classic

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
He was wasn't he!

He had porridge at home, then a full English at Cawood, lasagne and chips at Malton then...I'm not sure at the chippy. Please don't tell me he had fish and chips as well
Well this is off his Strava feed

upload_2017-10-2_14-31-10.png

Don't worry: There's a fleet of lorries on the way to restock Glossop as we speak.

Last edited:

Kestevan

Last of the Summer Winos
I've just raised this issue with Wayne

He says it's fine as he didn't have a full English, only two eggs on toast....to go with the porridge, lasagne and chips and fish and chips
Ah, well that's all right then........

I wouldn't mind, but I've got legs that weigh more than Wayne.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Hmph - I have woken up with a sore throat and the beginnings of a chesty cough, so I'm afraid that I will ...

... just have to come along anyway and see how I get on! :okay:
Well, it looks like I WAS coming down with a bug ... 100 miles on Saturday with that wet finish was enough to push me over the edge and I am now curled up shivering in front of a heater, my nose streaming, and my chest getting rougher by the hour.

Still, it was worth it to get the century ride in! I'll stay off the bike for a few days and then start thinking of my October metric century ride. (I was going to do the Season of Mists audax on Sunday, but I think that it is unlikely that I will be recovered enough by then for such a demanding route.)

If anybody fancies doing the SoM route a week or 2 after the event, let me know!

wanda2010

Guru
Hi all!

I meant to pop in earlier in the week but a delayed journey home on the Sunday, tiredness, exercise classes and late nights wiped me out, so am doing this from work :whistle:

On Saturday my original plan was to arrive at the start for 0830, however I'd neglected to check the downloaded route was primed and ready for action on my phone, so wasted minutes trying to rectify it, then wrongly assumed I could walk through the station, without any problems, to the meeting point. At least I'll know for next time!

I love long distance rides but I am always concerned that I'll be the last one to arrive by a wide margin, cos titch and tiny engine, which is why I scoped out the nearest station to the lunch stop, just in case. Thankfully, those of you who assured me I would arrive before nightfall were correct :notworthy:^_^:wahhey:

Since I started long distance cycling I'd gotten used to just following the wheel in front and as Claudine had 'refused'* to turn up to guide me, I was forced to ensure I had the correct navigation aids myself :rolleyes::ohmy:. It worked out better than I thought it would, barring a few mishaps quickly rectified by my, far more experienced, colleagues :notworthy:

Crackle's comment that Ryhl used to be a Scarborough back in the day shocked me, but I held my tongue. For the most part :whistle:. Missing out on the 'spoons experience meant I had a lovely long sleep. So much so I almost missed breakfast, but was glad to see Mr/Mrs Crackle before they left the hotel. I do hope she is able to ride with us next year and I would be happy to get the train from Malton to Scarborough, if that's the distance she could manage.

I managed a little walk around the town and along the harbour before my train back to London. Quite a nice walk it was too. I just need to pack a brolly next time.

Looking forward to the ride next year and I will do my best to ensure I'm not the last to arrive at the meeting point. Can't say the same for any other stops on the ride though :laugh:

Chips and scraps - I vaguely recall, in my youth, it was known as chips and crackling. Maybe it was a southern thing? It was delish.

I wish more women would do these rides. So much fun.

Thanks for organising @nickyboy, Garmin and weather troubles excepted and thanks to everyone for the company and laughter and support. Will definitely leave London for another ride(s) next year.

:hello::hello:

*that might not be completely accurate.

Mrs C is contemplating joining Nicky's rides in some capacity. She does cycle quite a lot. I think she's done about 50 miles commuting this week and does small tours with a friend. In the past we've toured Brittany, Yorkshire, Wales and Scotland together. On the Sunday morning while I was still snoozing she was up and out running around the harbour. Her issue is that she's not quick and would need a different bike than her Cube mtn bike. However she's aiming to do something next year, so is motivated to put the miles in and get a different bike.

si_c

Guru
Mrs C is contemplating joining Nicky's rides in some capacity. She does cycle quite a lot. I think she's done about 50 miles commuting this week and does small tours with a friend. In the past we've toured Brittany, Yorkshire, Wales and Scotland together. On the Sunday morning while I was still snoozing she was up and out running around the harbour. Her issue is that she's not quick and would need a different bike than her Cube mtn bike. However she's aiming to do something next year, so is motivated to put the miles in and get a different bike.

Get her on the Llandudno ride, she can join from Eureka, or she can show you up and join from Manchester!

OP
OP
nickyboy

nickyboy

Norven Mankey
I wish more women would do these rides. So much fun.

Me too. In fact more folk generally.

I guess it's the 80-odd miles that puts people off. But I think it's fair to say that 95% of those miles are easy cycling and we don't go fast. I think if folk saw that, to some extent, the cycling is incidental and it's the leg-pulling and nattering and loads of food (and a few beers) that make the day, they might give it a try

Last edited:
OP
OP
nickyboy

nickyboy

Norven Mankey

What might work is do Eureka to Llandudno (the flat way) but leave before some of the others so you can have a cuppa on the way and have an easy-paced ride

Top Bottom