Leeds-Scarborough 30 September 2017: The White Rose Classic

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
5 of us on train in York, just heading to Leeds. No problem with bikes.

The rain caught us in Scarborough but I plodded on and rode 5 laps of the local area while everyone else attacked the fish and chips. My total for the day is 101 miles.

Another fun forum ride, so thanks to @nickyboy for organising it.

There were one or two stiff little climbs but I managed to grunt my way up them on my singlespeed bike.

theclaud

Openly Marxist
Stepped outside. Rain. Went back inside.

:cry:

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
My Scarborough-Malton-Scarborough ride didn't get off to a very good start, got a bit worse, but then got immeasurably better.

Thinking I would do the coast stretch later, I decided to leave Scarborough by a direct route, this took a bit of finding and involved a nasty climb past the hospital.

It also involved a fast stretch of the A170 which wasn't very pleasant, rather too much motor traffic going rather too fast.

Things improved when I got back on the route, but took a downer again when I got a puncture.

Big deal, you may say, but the bike has tubes on tubeless ready rims, the (known) problem being breaking the bead seal on the wheel.

It took me about 25 minutes wrestling with the tyre before I managed it, thereafter the repair was straightforward.

My arrival at the lunch stop in Malton was still in good time, @Julia9054 and partner Al were there having cycled from Knaresborough, but nobody else.

As the Leeds riders arrived, the main news was a broken mech hanger for @alibaba - @I like Skol converted it to a single speed.

Not content with that, when they got to Malton he took Ali round to a bike shop to replace the hanger - epic fettling and ride camaraderie by Skolly who sacrificed his lunch break to get the job done.

I trudged round to the same bike shop to get a tube, thinking that would guarantee no more punctures - which it did.

Most of us took the flat option for the run into Scarborough, and thankfully the motor traffic had eased on the busier bits.

A few spots of rain turned into a deluge as we entered Scarborough, which rather spoiled the run along the seafront.

Timing was spot on, we pulled up outside the chip shop at the very second the hill monsters arrived.

Unfortunately, one rider - whose name I didn't catch - had taken a tumble as evidenced by gravel rash and a trickle of blood on his leg.

Fair play, he seemed remarkably sanguine about it, which I suppose is the best way to be.

Chips eaten, we went in our various directions.

Apart from a @ColinJ, who was last seen doing local loops to make up his century for the day.

Another grand day out on the bike in the excellent company I've come to expect on forum rides.

Big thanks to @nickyboy for organising.

theclaud

Openly Marxist
I had lost the will to get wet again, when I expect to get wet tomorrow. On the upside, dozed in front of the TV :rolleyes: and making full use of heating to dry stuff.

Plus ça change! I'm a bit disappointed not to see photos of you all raising a pint together at the end, but hope you had a mostly fun ride despite the weather. I'm beginning to regard @nickyboy's forecasts as slightly suspect...

Julia9054

Guru
Just got home. What a great day. Thanks @nickyboy .
Running a hot bath because I can't feel my feet!

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
@Littgull is clearly mad! Those of you who thought that I was mad for looping round Scarborough in the rain rather than chippie-fishing, should know that he decided to get off our train in Hebden Bridge (about 10 miles from home) in order to get his imperial century in. It was still daylight and relatively mild while I was doing my extra miles in Scarborough. His were done in the dark and the cold, and it had started raining again! :wacko:

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
Top Bottom