Leeds - Scarborough 7 September 2019

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
You're right of course, I'll edit the first post
You haven't done that yet! (I was just reminding myself if it was an 08:00 or 09:00 start.)
Forget it - I was thinking of the Llandudno 08:00 starts!

My friend Carrie said that she might join us as far as Norton and then ride back to Garforth with me after the cafe stop.

Last edited:
OP
OP
nickyboy

nickyboy

Norven Mankey
Sorry I've been busy with work and some personal stuff. I'll get focused on the ride now

As discussed, 9am start Leeds Train Station in the usual place (please check previous versions of the ride for this). I suspect the turnout may be fairly modest so I think we will stick with the flat route if that's ok with everyone. If a load of mountain goats decide to join then I can add a hilly variant if required

I will sort out the route file for everyone and post it here

One word to the wise; the train company requires bike spaces to be reserved to guarantee you a space on the train home. I don't know how rigorously they will choose to enforce this (on the Llandudno ride they are very relaxed and no reservation is actually needed, despite the same regulations). Perhaps it would be wise to book a space, just to be on the safe side

For anyone considering the ride it's eighty odd miles out of Leeds to Scarborough. After the urban escape from Leeds it becomes very rural and very flat. Nice café at Cawood. Then more flat, then a few lumps as we skirt the Howardian Hills. Lunch stop in Malton and then on to Scarborough. We take the prom around the castle a la Tour of Yorkshire. Then some excellent fish and chips to finish. A few beers are available after the ride to those that fancy them (such as me)

Oh, and its usually a really nice tailwind. If it is, there are long stretches where we bowl along with very little effort. It's good fun

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
One word to the wise; the train company requires bike spaces to be reserved to guarantee you a space on the train home. I don't know how rigorously they will choose to enforce this (on the Llandudno ride they are very relaxed and no reservation is actually needed, despite the same regulations). Perhaps it would be wise to book a space, just to be on the safe side.
It is Trans Pennine back from Scarborough and they definitely DO require a reservation. I have heard of one or two people who have managed to get their bikes on TP trains without reservations but it would be very foolish to take the chance, unless you don't mind having to ride back instead!

Northern trains don't even offer reservations but apart from one time trying to get on an overcrowded Northern commuter train at Leeds, I have never had a problem taking my bike on their trains, even if there are already 4 or 5 bikes onboard. So, travelling to Leeds - Northern is a good bet.

Julia9054

Guru
Booked me train!

Julia9054

Guru
One of these days we'll organise ourselves to do the whole ride. A whole barrage of bloody health issues for both of us this summer has been disruptive to cycling. Will update on the day if anyone fancies putting up with me moaning!
Anyway - really looking forward to seeing everyone

Kestevan

Last of the Summer Winos
Well, miracles do happen....

Looks like I'll not actually be playing taxi driver next weekend (its the weekend after) so I will now be joining you.

Of course this means you're likely to get wet, and that mythical tailwind will turn into a 20mph headwind, but we can't have everything.

doughnut

Veteran
Oops, I seem to have mislaid all the details of any B+B I booked for this - or maybe I just imagined that I had booked something. Hopefully I will be able to book another this week if its not too expensive. Mrs Doughnut will be driving to Scarborough after dropping me off at Leeds so anyone needing bags to be carried can lob them in the back of the car at the start and pick up at the fish and chip shop later.

Top Bottom