Leeds - Scarborough 7 September 2019

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I was just reminding myself of the route to Norton...

The super descent of Whitewall Corner Hill into Norton would be a horrid slog if I had to go back up it on singlespeed with stiff cafe-stop legs! (200 m at 9.5%, immediately followed by 150 m at 5.5%, 450 m at a more s/s-friendly 3.2%, and finally 125 m at 4.8%.) There is no pavement to walk up if I were forced to dismount, and that road can be quite busy so I would be walking in traffic.

If nobody intends to come back with me, I may say my goodbyes before the descent and skip that cafe stop. I'll see how I feel as we approach Norton.

The good news: It should be dry, with long sunny spells.

The bad news: There will probably be a chilly northerly cross/headwind all day so it won't feel that warm and it will be hard work.

More good news for me: I should be wind-assisted on my ride back to Garforth! :okay:

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Help me out here. Is there a route posted ?

I would be returning before Scabby too @ColinJ
I was assuming that we would be doing the previous route as far as Norton/Malton, and I worked out my own variation back to Garforth. I've attached GPX files for those, but @nickyboy may have come up with some variation of the outward route.

I have just changed my return leg so it doesn't backtrack along the outward leg. It now passes through some nice villages and on some quiet lanes, some singletrack. It is slightly further and more undulating than my original return leg but nothing that should cause extreme problems on singlespeed or fixed.

Leeds - Norton - Garforth would be about 102 miles if we did do the cafe stop and about 99 if we turned off at the top of the hill. (Both of us would make our century rides up riding to and from the stations.)

Attachments

• Leeds Cawood Norton.gpx
    34.7 KB · Views: 6
  • Norton York Garforth.gpx
    27.5 KB · Views: 8
Last edited:
OP
OP
nickyboy

nickyboy

Norven Mankey
Hi All

Sorry, been in London all week

We will do this flat route

https://ridewithgps.com/routes/21518464

It's as good as any. I'm just aware of that slight cyclo cross over the grass at Temple Newsam. It may be a bit damp so be careful. Usual meet up place for the fiddly route out of the city. I should be there in plenty of time. Stop off in Cawood and then again in Malton. Unfortunately I can't stop over in Scarborough as we are off on holiday very soon afterwards and I've been told to get home to sort out my stuff rather than swan around Scarborough on Sunday

The return bike space situation seems to be a bit of a bun fight. Officially two spaces per train but no reservations being taken (I rang Northern Rail last night and they confirmed this). So it's first come first served. Having said that the customer service person said it was at the discretion of the train manager. Presumably if the trains aren't rammed they will allow a few more onboard as they do on the Llandudno ride

Plan after the ride is to decamp to the Wetherspoons in the town centre. Scarborough seems to be devoid of good pubs (unlike that excellent one in Llandudno we go to). Unless someone knows different

OP
OP
nickyboy

nickyboy

Norven Mankey
I should add that our traditional howling tailwind seems to have forgotten about us this time. Looks like a fairly gentle crosswind. Should be dry and pleasant enough temperatures (having said that was it a couple of years ago we had a completely unforecasted torrential downpour just as we got to Scarborough?)

Kestevan

Last of the Summer Winos
pubwise, I can recommend the boozer we decamped to last year after they quite rightly refused to allow @I like Skol into the Spoons.....

Scholars Bar - 6 Somerset Terrace, Scarborough YO11 2PA just down the road from the spoons. Smaller quieter and has better beer.

However... the main benefit of the spoons is we can chain the bikes up outside and still see them.... suspect the Scholars may be a better venue for them whats staying over (not me this year unfortunately).

Julia9054

Guru
What time do you reckon you will be in Malton?

Kestevan

Last of the Summer Winos
Hi All

The return bike space situation seems to be a bit of a bun fight. Officially two spaces per train but no reservations being taken (I rang Northern Rail last night and they confirmed this). So it's first come first served. Having said that the customer service person said it was at the discretion of the train manager. Presumably if the trains aren't rammed they will allow a few more onboard as they do on the Llandudno ride

Nick, as far as I'm aware the Scarborough to Leeds service is run by Trans Pennine Express not northern rail (who dont appear to take reservations for bikes on any route). TPE have been absolute sticklers for the 24h pre-booking and reservations (at least between Manchester and Leeds/Huddersfield).

You may get away with it... but I wouldn't bet on it (and going on previous experience - I'd treat any info I got over the phone from any of the train companies as no better than a vaguely unsubstantiated rumour designed to get rid of you as fast as possible so the operator can go back to sleep).

Normally you can reserve a bike online through the Hull trains website - might be a good idea to have a look and see if it will let you reserve anything).

Edit - Just had a look on HullTrains and it is indeed TPE.... and the website still allows you to reserve a bike space (after clicking on the "buy now" option you can select a bike reservation on the LHS of the confirmation screen.

Last edited:

tom73

Guru
Did think about joining the fun but my miles over the last few weeks have gone way down plus I've left the planning a bit late.
As it turn's out I will be long the coast in Whitby so not free anyway.

Just thought I give you a couple of heads up It's the Harvest food festival in Malton that weekend so plenty extra food on offer.

Can't help with a good pub but can tell you the best place for ice cream and coffee. Crema e Cioccolato Newborough, the road just off the seafront same street that as the old Argos in fact it's just across from it. Minutes away from the spoons too it's open early and closers late so should be ok if you fancy real Italian ice cream , coffee and maybe a sneaky pastry. ;)

Anyway enjoy the ride guys.

TPE now let you WhatsApp , tweet, ect to book your bike space up to 15 mins before you travel. Can be pot luck though we tried it got a reply the next day once we'd got home. The guards on the whole are fine they let you on if they have space.

OP
OP
nickyboy

nickyboy

Norven Mankey
Nick, as far as I'm aware the Scarborough to Leeds service is run by Trans Pennine Express not northern rail (who dont appear to take reservations for bikes on any route). TPE have been absolute sticklers for the 24h pre-booking and reservations (at least between Manchester and Leeds/Huddersfield).

You may get away with it... but I wouldn't bet on it (and going on previous experience - I'd treat any info I got over the phone from any of the train companies as no better than a vaguely unsubstantiated rumour designed to get rid of you as fast as possible so the operator can go back to sleep).

Normally you can reserve a bike online through the Hull trains website - might be a good idea to have a look and see if it will let you reserve anything).

Edit - Just had a look on HullTrains and it is indeed TPE.... and the website still allows you to reserve a bike space (after clicking on the "buy now" option you can select a bike reservation on the LHS of the confirmation screen.
Weird innit? I rang Northern Rail and talked about Scarborough to Leeds. They just said they don't take reservations etc, not that they don't run the service!

Anyway, reservations booked. Regarding timings @Julia9054 we have got to Malton about 1.30 in the past. But I think we will be a touch slower this year as no tailwind. I'm guessing about 2ish

theclaud

Openly Marxist
Oops, I seem to have mislaid all the details of any B+B I booked for this - or maybe I just imagined that I had booked something. Hopefully I will be able to book another this week if its not too expensive. Mrs Doughnut will be driving to Scarborough after dropping me off at Leeds so anyone needing bags to be carried can lob them in the back of the car at the start and pick up at the fish and chip shop later.
I'm gonna take Mrs D up on this brilliant offer if it's still available. Pissing with rain at the Welsh end so I've had to bring more clobber.

doughnut

Veteran
I'm gonna take Mrs D up on this brilliant offer if it's still available. Pissing with rain at the Welsh end so I've had to bring more clobber.
Yes, no worries. If I remember correctly there is a cul de sac at the entrance to a hotel where the route stars. We'll be there before 9.

wanda2010

Guru
I'm here in Leeds but am not able to do the ride, cos neck pain. Will get the train to Scarbs and meet you in whichever pub wins out.

Living my best life with heat pads, painkillers and hot/cold pack. Don't be jealous ,

Top Bottom