1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Left turning lorries -Write to your MP

Discussion in 'Advocacy and Cycling Safety' started by Mister Paul, 1 Jul 2009.

1. Kies

Kies Guest

I know 3 lorry drivers ..... They are NOTHING like what you describe above!
  2. slowmotion

slowmotion Quite dreadful

lost somewhere
    I may be accused of "victim blaming", but in IMVVHO, there are some places that a cyclist does not want to be if they wish to extend their longevity. Anywhere near a large vehicle at a junction is one of them, I think. Personally, I'm not interested in "asserting my rights as an equally entitled road-user". Forget that vanity....stay alive.
    PK99, Kies and compo like this.
  3. subaqua

subaqua Guru

Ahh stereotypes . wonderful though they are, they just don't fit the majority of todays proffesional drivers. just as all cyclists are not lycra wearing red l;ight jumping pavement riders.

when you have something constructive to say then feel free to join in .

adding a section onto the test and the CPD , for cycle awareness would be a start. but you don't have to be degree level to pass that.

Oh and 3 of the nuttiest hooligans i ever knew were degreee educated at a redbrick Uni. break your nose/legs as soon as look at you. but didn't look like hooligans.

very true. rather be a few minutes late for work/whatever than early for my own funeral. and to be homnest sometimes the legs are glad of the extra few seconds ;)
  4. Kirstie Wielandt

Kirstie Wielandt New Member

Hi guys - You might be interested in this event called 'Are we finally looking at a cycling revolution in London?' as you'll get the chance to discuss London's new cycling plans with GLA ‘cycling czar’ Andrew Gilligan on Tuesday 4th June, early bird tickets £6:00. Come join the debate, we'd love to have you there: http://londoncyclingrevolution.eventbrite.co.uk/#

XRHYSX A Big Bad Lorry Driver

The only problem with this is I am not academically minded and would struggle to pass any tests set to this level, but I consider myself a considerate driver and do not lose my temper easily,
    plus I love my job and wouldn't want to do anything else smileys-car-driving-296195.gif
    avalon likes this.
  6. JackJoff

JackJoff Regular

I agree, there's a lot to be said for defensive cycling imo. http://cyclinginfo.co.uk/blog/245/commuting/7-tips-for-defensive-cycling/
  7. Tcr4x4

Tcr4x4 Senior Member

I cant stand football..

Im a class 2 HGV driver

Im not arrogant, ignorant or irresponsible.

I dont have a degree, but I'd say Im pretty well educated. I took a theory and practical test for my car licence then another theory, hazard perception and practiical for my HGV licence. I also have ADR and CPC qualifications which I have to retake every 5 years. I'm more qualified to be on the road than most cyclists.

Maybe it would be better to have a proper cycling test that highlights the dangers of large vehicles on the road.
    The amount of times I swing right to take a left turn and have some numpty comes up the left is unbelievable, this is both cyclists and cars.
    Some people just dont have a clue about whats going on around them.
  8. compo

compo Veteran

Perhaps it is a different world out here in the sticks but I find nearly all HGV drivers courteous and considerate wether I am driving or cycling. There are odd exceptions, but they are few and far between.
    SquareDaff likes this.
  9. crazyjoe101

crazyjoe101 New Member

I'm not sure if I'm talking nonsense here as I've not started studying for and have not sat a driving theory test. Perhaps if it was garunteed that there would be a significant section in the exam pertaining to cyclists then drivers might be more aware of them, at least partially, upon completing the test as they would have read up on the cycling portion of the test in the knowledge that it was definitely going to be included in the test. Like I said, could be talking rubbish.
  10. glasgowcyclist

glasgowcyclist Bang on!

I disagree.

The level of risk your class of vehicle represents to other road users means that you are subject to more controls on your use of the road.

The absence of a requirement to pass a test on a cycle is indicative of the level of risk a cyclist poses to others.

11. MarkF

MarkF Guru

I see cyclists willingly putting themselves in danger every evening rush hour, these are (IMO) mainly commuter types rather than cycling enthusiasts, they are never going to see or seek out safety information on a cycling forum or in a magazine, or perhaps, anywhere. Maybe a simple flyer should go out with every bike and helmet sold, clearly detailing the dangers of junctions/lorries.

PS I like railings, very convenient for holding on to. :smile:
    XRHYSX likes this.
  12. XRHYSX

XRHYSX A Big Bad Lorry Driver

Was driving through LDN last nite and the amount of "commuter types" without lights and in dark cothing was shocking, all vehicles made after 2010 have to have driving lights now, this has been the norm for motorcycles since 2003, I think all push bikes used on the road should have lights on IMHO
    classic33 and compo like this.
  13. PK99

PK99 Guru

If you are close enough to the railings to hold on, you are too close.
  14. MarkF

MarkF Guru

Not always, sometimes I deem it appropriate and safe for me to make use of them.
  15. classic33

classic33 Legendary Member

There's only one real problem with that. If we can't get drivers to actually see the lights when its dark, how are we going to get them to notice them during the day?
    Nenagh, County Tipperary ran a trial a few years ago now, where all vehicles had to have daylight running lights on. Very few vehicles seen with them now though.
    XRHYSX likes this.