Legalised Parking on the pavement

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Linford

Linford

Any chance of some actual facts then?

http://www.hsj.co.uk/news/finance/n...-predicted-within-three-years/5038842.article

What this means in real terms is that the greater sum of money being paid in is being paid straight back out again, and by next year, all of it will be paid out, and then more money printed to make up the shortfall. This is just the NHS. The black hole is growing year on year any any money previously hived away will get swallowed up very soon.

Next time I'm in town, I'll get some pictures for reference :thumbsup:

Which will prove zilch!

Blue Badge holders cannot as you claim park wherever they like

Edited...

In fact from my experience it is the bad drivers who have "borrowed" Great Aunt Lilith's badge (and she is 100 miles away in a care home) that are the ones causing problems

OP
OP
Linford

Linford

Fact 1: A single pension scheme that hasnt happened yet, may or may not be in deficit at some point in the future, assuming nothing changes. From a source I cant read or verify, as its subscription only

Got any more?

It stands to reason that if it is going into deficit in the next year, then the contributions being paid in today by the current workers are being paid out tomorrow in their entirety- or else they would not project a deficit.

The Office for Budget Responsibility has forecast the NHS pension scheme will pay out more money than it receives in 2013-14, meaning it will require a £500m Treasury bailout.
The OBR’s analysis shows spending by the NHS pension scheme in 2011-12 will leap by £600m from the government’s own forecast in March to £7.7bn. Predicted payments into the scheme – which come from both NHS employees and employers – have also been revised down this year, by £400m to £8.5bn.
By 2015-16 the NHS pension scheme will be in deficit by £1.2bn, even though a £200m surplus was predicted six months ago.
The OBR report said the rise in predicted payouts “reflects the latest in-year data, which shows an increase in retirement and average lump sum payments, and higher than expected pension lump sum commutation rates over the last couple of years”.

OP
OP
Linford

Linford

Whose reason, yours? But yes, I agree. Its the wider conclusions your draw from this about the public service which dont stack.

The rest of the gov dept pension schemes are in an even worse position being already in a deficit position

benb

Evidence based cyclist
I wish it were guff. We are looking into a black hole with this, and the contributions being paid by the gov workers today are actually being paid into the bank accounts of the previous gov workers as pensions. You aren't investing in a pension pot,, but merely buying an IOU multiplier which will then be paid from printing money, and the contributions of the fellow gov workers who will remain in employment after you have retired.

You mean like all pension schemes work then?

srw

It's a bit more complicated than that...
The rest of the gov dept pension schemes are in an even worse position being already in a deficit position
Careful - "deficit" has a very specific meaning in pensions that you aren't really showing you understand.

PAYG schemes, like most public sector schemes, can be in deficit in a single year but still expected to be in surplus over the lifetime of the members.

Funded pension schemes are currently in deficit (over the lifetime of members) because interest rates are at historically abnormally low levels.

gambatte

Middle of the pack...
In fact from my experience it is the bad drivers who have "borrowed" Great Aunt Lilith's badge (and she is 100 miles away in a care home) that are the ones causing problems

I remember, round here a year or 2 ago they decided to have a blitz on blue badge abuse. Standard tactic was to spot a car parked in a way that would require use of the blue badge privilege to be legal.
They then called home telephone number of the badge holder. You'd be surprised how often it was answered .
You might not be surprised of the amount of people who said as an excuse in court, they thought what they were doing was legal......

400bhp

Guru
Careful - "deficit" has a very specific meaning in pensions that you aren't really showing you understand.

PAYG schemes, like most public sector schemes, can be in deficit in a single year but still expected to be in surplus over the lifetime of the members.

Funded pension schemes are currently in deficit (over the lifetime of members) because interest rates are at historically abnormally low levels.

Partially.

There's many reasons and that is one of them. 40% increase in life expectancy over the last 30 years and is expected to contine to increase, poor asset returns, increasing inflation expectations to name but 3.

400bhp

Guru
You mean like all pension schemes work then?

Nope, most don't work like that, in particular the private sector schemes. See srw's reply.

I remember, round here a year or 2 ago they decided to have a blitz on blue badge abuse. Standard tactic was to spot a car parked in a way that would require use of the blue badge privilege to be legal.
They then called home telephone number of the badge holder. You'd be surprised how often it was answered .
You might not be surprised of the amount of people who said as an excuse in court, they thought what they were doing was legal......

Sadly there is also a black market for stolen or forged Blue Badges!

srw

It's a bit more complicated than that...
Partially.

There's many reasons and that is one of them. 40% increase in life expectancy over the last 30 years and is expected to contine to increase, poor asset returns, increasing inflation expectations to name but 3.
You're probably more familiar with more schemes than me. But having watched one particular scheme rack up an increase in accounting deficit [and yes, I know accounting deficit isn't real deficit - but then I'd argue that "real" deficit isn't actually real, since I don't hold with the tenets of market-consistent valuation] over the last year or so as big as the total increase in deficit over the previous ten from all the other factors you mention - I know what I think is the most important.

david k

Hi
I think parking on the pavement makes sense where the road is narrow and the pavement is wide enough to lose a little to cars.

So long as pedestrians and pushchairs are not hindered.

true to a certain extent, i remember pushing a pram and having to walk on the road when cars were parked on the pavement blocking my way. could they not park round the corner and walk 50 yards to save pedestrians having to walk on the road?

subaqua

What’s the point

so to have a blue badge you have to live on your own ?? thats what the post reads.

when me or wifey take her Mother to the shops in my car and use her blue badge - legal- the other one of us will likely be at her mothers house and would answer the phone. top detective work by your local issuing authority.

gambatte

Middle of the pack...
so to have a blue badge you have to live on your own ?? thats what the post reads.

when me or wifey take her Mother to the shops in my car and use her blue badge - legal- the other one of us will likely be at her mothers house and would answer the phone. top detective work by your local issuing authority.
No.
I figured i didn't have to spell it out precisely, seeing as it led to prosecutions I assumed you'd make the leap to there being evidence of illegal use. They phoned and asked to speak to the relevant disabled person.......

subaqua

What’s the point
No.
I figured i didn't have to spell it out precisely, seeing as it led to prosecutions I assumed you'd make the leap to there being evidence of illegal use. They phoned and asked to speak to the relevant disabled person.......

then post what you mean , otherwise you give Linf ammo . ;)

Top Bottom