Legalised Parking on the pavement

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

subaqua

What’s the point
Back to the point in question, pavement parking. Does the roadbed extend under the footpath? If not, who's going to pay for the repairs to the footpath when it fails due to excessive pressure from vehicles?

depends on how it was constructed in the 1st place. a lot of roads were built at one width and a kerb laid to mark pavement with the substructure being the same . then the cheap nasty developer came along

OP
OP
Linford

Linford

I'd say that the houses in these roads are at least 100 years old

gambatte

Middle of the pack...
[QUOTE 1915957, member: 45"]You also need to consider how deep the utilities have been buried.[/quote]
Which is where i was cming from several pages ago.
case in point. Works just moved, but where we were upto a couple of months ago - Rawmarsh road in Rotherham. The roads been there a consderable time. I've seen pictures, 1920s, it's obviously the same road. One of the local companies has a constant supply of wagons. They seem to feel they can pavement park and that the use of the hazard warning light negates the power of the double yellow.
In the two and a half years I had experience of walking past, into town, I never saw the road dug up or any problem with the surface. However the pavement has a definite deep dip, just about where the wagons wheels sit. Over a 50 yard stretch I saw the pavemnet dug up twice to repair water mains that were leaking, upwards onto the pavement. There were also 2 or 3 other times I saw the pavement dug up. Contractors vehicle, so you couldn't identify who they were, but they were digging up the pavement within the same physical parameters.
I wonder whose water bills the cost of those repairs were on?

subaqua

What’s the point
I'd say that the houses in these roads are at least 100 years old

originally cobbled ?? if so then its unlikely that the footpath was constructed as well as the road bed.

talking to the civil engineer on site ( thats an oxymoron if there ever was one) in his VHO the 1930s to the 1950s were the best constructed roads on housing developments.

OP
OP
Linford

Linford

originally cobbled ?? if so then its unlikely that the footpath was constructed as well as the road bed.

talking to the civil engineer on site ( thats an oxymoron if there ever was one) in his VHO the 1930s to the 1950s were the best constructed roads on housing developments.

Well, if it is a weight per axle issue, then there is at least some saving grace. It is usually buses and HGV's which cause this sort of problem (indicated further up there) You will never get anything bigger than a 7.5 tonne truck up there for deliveries. the only possible issue I might forsee is broken slabs due to poor work by untility contractors not compacting the substrate properly after they have dug them up

Yes, I also carry one of those as well when I take the in laws out. there isn't a huge difference in width between the two if you put a tape measure across them, and many people with disabled badges park wherever they like.

Since when have Blue Badge holders "parked wherever they like"?

It certainly is not within UK law!

This mischievous claim really needs explaining... Or comparing with reality

OP
OP
Linford

Linford

Since when have Blue Badge holders "parked wherever they like"?

It certainly is not within UK law!

This mischievous claim really needs explaining... Or comparing with reality

Next time I'm in town, I'll get some pictures for reference :thumbsup:

subaqua

What’s the point
Next time I'm in town, I'll get some pictures for reference :thumbsup:

and ???

youngoldbloke

The older I get, the faster I used to be ...
[QUOTE 1920991, member: 45"]There is clear guidance about where blue badge holders can and cannot park.

Some ignore the restrictions.[/quote]
- and get tickets like anyone else.

OP
OP
Linford

Linford

Bloody disabled people.

Most of the trouble in the world can ultimately be traced back to them I believe.

Do you reckon that one might get one of these new Bently 4x4's on the motability scheme ?

bentley-exp-9-f-concept-live-photos-2012-geneva-motor-show_100384492_m.jpg

Top Bottom