Legalised Parking on the pavement

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

srw

It's a bit more complicated than that...
I'd have thought that was fairly obvious - Because the cars still need enough space on one end or another to actually get in and out of the parking space :thumbsup: - fish in a barrel this morning ;)
What dreadful control you must have of your 4x4. I need about 18 inches each end - only just enough room for a pedestrian, unecumbered by such a frippery as a pushchair or a wheelchair.

OP
OP
Linford

Linford

What dreadful control you must have of your 4x4. I need about 18 inches each end - only just enough room for a pedestrian, unecumbered by such a frippery as a pushchair or a wheelchair.

So you aren't worried about boot access when you park up then or that you might give a bit of consideration for the car drivers you are shoehorning your car into ?

My 4x4 has the turning ciricle of the QE2 and if you were to park nose to taill with it like that, you would be asking for trouble. However, I've also got an A-class merc which is the primary runaround, but I'd still think you were a bit of a knob if you got that close as regualr car bumpers are nowhere near as resistant to damage as the steel ones (and tow bar) of my 4x4.

When peopl claim to be both caring for others around you for people on foot, but then careless around their property when parked up on the road, it makes them come across as a bit of a selfish coward.

I hope I'm just reading them wrong as they would make ghastly neighbours....

I still haven't had a reply to the question as to why we should "respect the choice" of those who wish to park on and obstruct the pavement, rather than "respect the choice" of those who wish to use the pavement for access with a pram or wheelchair.

Is that because it is simply an indefensibly arrogant and self centred position

PK99

Legendary Member
I still haven't had a reply to the question as to why we should "respect the choice" of those who wish to park on and obstruct the pavement, rather than "respect the choice" of those who wish to use the pavement for access with a pram or wheelchair.

Is that because it is simply an indefensibly arrogant and self centred position

If you check out most of the roads around that shown in the op you will see that they have the same parking arrangement ie on road on one side, half on pavement on the other. they also used to have double yellow lines on the "half and half side" which have been painted over to install the half and half bays. You will also note they are in a densely packed residential area, I strongly supect the parking arrangements will have been at the request of residents.

Ohhhh, ain't google good! See the Public notice from the council setting out the current arrangements...... >>> http://www.gloucestershire.gov.uk/extra/CHttpHandler.ashx?id=47697&p=0

And a local newspaper report on the residents' victory in getting the removal of the double yellow lines >>>> http://www.thisisgloucestershire.co...w-Barton-end/story-15790203-detail/story.html
Four year parking review in Barton almost at an end

More than 1,500 residents signed a petition back in June 2008 lobbying county transport chiefs to solve parking issues in the area. They wanted double yellow lines to be removed so they could park outside their homes.

theclaud

Openly Marxist
If you check out most of the roads around that shown in the op you will see that they have the same parking arrangement ie on road on one side, half on pavement on the other. they also used to have double yellow lines on the "half and half side" which have been painted over to install the half and half bays. You will also note they are in a densely packed residential area, I strongly supect the parking arrangements will have been at the request of residents.

Ohhhh, ain't google good! See the Public notice from the council setting out the current arrangements...... >>> http://www.gloucestershire.gov.uk/extra/CHttpHandler.ashx?id=47697&p=0

And a local newspaper report on the residents' victory in getting the removal of the double yellow lines >>>> http://www.thisisgloucestershire.co...w-Barton-end/story-15790203-detail/story.html

"They wanted double yellow lines removed so that they could park outside their homes."

In what sense does this undermine the argument that they are simply selfish? It's rare to meet motorists who don't want things removed to make way for their vehicles - that is no reason to appease them.

OP
OP
Linford

Linford

[QUOTE 1914882, member: 45"]Grow up linf.

Whatever space you need to get your car into a parking slot is halved when you centre up. The car either side will have another half the other side of it, enough to be able to reverse and pull out, but often (and more so in a street like this where people are desperate to get close to their house) not enough for a wheelchair. If a pushchair can fit, it's hidden from view as you're trying to cross because John likes no more than two strides to his front door.[/quote]

Well I keep a push chair in the boot of both of my cars, and if I park in a tight spot, will pull forward to give me clearance to open the boot/hatch, open the push chair up, and still give me space to close the boot afterwards as trying to do this on the pavement when people walk past means you are usually in their way - how long has it been since you had small kids in your car as you haven't taken this into accouint at all ?

OP
OP
Linford

Linford

"They wanted double yellow lines removed so that they could park outside their homes."

In what sense does this undermine the argument that they are simply selfish? It's rare to meet motorists who don't want things removed to make way for their vehicles - that is no reason to appease them.

If 1500 people signed the petition, then I'd say that the objectors are in the minority and not acknowledging what the majority residents really want or need - and that in my book is a selfish stance to take.

theclaud

Openly Marxist
If 1500 people signed the petition, then I'd say that the objectors are in the minority and not acknowledging what the majority residents really want or need - and that in my book is a selfish stance to take.

I'm sure you would say that, but then a lot of what you say is cobblers.

PK99

Legendary Member
[QUOTE 1914956, member: 45"]Wheelchair linf. Wheelchair.

.[/quote]

on the streets in question, disabled residents have disabled bays stretching across the full width of their property (see street view)

srw

It's a bit more complicated than that...
on the streets in question, disabled residents have disabled bays stretching across the full width of their property (see street view)
A bay which is just about long enough for what looks like a Corsa - with about 18 inches at each end.

OP
OP
Linford

Linford

[QUOTE 1914956, member: 45"]Wheelchair linf. Wheelchair.

It's very tempting to show you up by demonstrating the level of contact that I have with children and disabled people, but I don't need to.[/quote]

Yes, I also carry one of those as well when I take the in laws out. there isn't a huge difference in width between the two if you put a tape measure across them, and many people with disabled badges park wherever they like.

PK99

Legendary Member
A bay which is just about long enough for what looks like a Corsa - with about 18 inches at each end.

clearly i should have been more specific- on the half and half parking side of the road (ie the issue this thread is about), there is a disabled bay outside number 53 (one street view step back) which stretches across the whole frontage of the house.

theclaud

Openly Marxist
What an incredibly arrogant and sniffy attitude to take.

Thank you. I work at it. Mr Paul is doing a good enough job at taking what passes for your argument to pieces. I can simply relax and enjoy the spectacle, and think of creative ways to interfere with the next 4x4 I see parked on a pavement.

Reactions: srw
OP
OP
Linford

Linford

Thank you. I work at it. Mr Paul is doing a good enough job at taking what passes for your argument to pieces. I can simply relax and enjoy the spectacle, and think of creative ways to interfere with the next 4x4 I see parked on a pavement.

You might try taking those rose tinted glasses off, You might be ableto see a bit more clearly :thumbsup:

Top Bottom