Legalised Parking on the pavement

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

youngoldbloke

The older I get, the faster I used to be ...
[QUOTE 1920991, member: 45"]There is clear guidance about where blue badge holders can and cannot park.

Some ignore the restrictions.[/quote]
See Blue Badge Use esp. pages 14-22 - and you will get a ticket if you park in the wrong place - for example in a Taxi rank, or a no loading zone. Don't ask me how I know. On the other hand some badge users do park stupidly - in dangerous or obstructive positions on double yellow lines, for example. In contrast to able bodied drivers who never park illegally or badly, of course.

OP
OP
Linford

Linford

I always take my mum with me to the cinema (blue badge holder)... means we can park right outside on the double yellows for free, rather than pay 6 quid for the car park.

I don't think she enjoyed he Human Caterpillar much though ;)

About time they handed these badges out to everyone. After all if someone can park on double yellows legally with a badge, the double yellows aren't really neccessary are they, and are just there to make the motorist pay to park in pay and display bays - or to put it another way, paying twice for the same thing (being VED and on road parking) Prius owners should of course pay twice as much in parking bays as regular cars on account of the fact thay they have been given VED exemption on the mistaken assumption that their owners are saving the planet :whistle:

OP
OP
Linford

Linford

My local town has just introduced car park charges. By not being disabled, and therefore sentenced to a lifetime of continuing pain and humiliation, I had to park normally to go to the library.

It cost me 30 bloody pence. 30 BLOODY PENCE!!!!!

disgusting

And they say it's grim oop north. You'd have to pay a couple of quid for the same priviledge darn sarf.

Bloody favouritism

OP
OP
Linford

Linford

By not being disabled, I once had to park on the top floor of a multistorey car park.

It was right above the shops, but I had to wait 4 minutes for the lift. 4 BLOODY MINUTES!!!!!

disgusting

You know when I took that long haul flight to the states last year, I noticed in the lifts there were stickers saying if you waddle when you walk, you need to take the stairs instead. More people over there are disabled by their obesity related problems than any other condition, and it is classed a disability. Fancy that !!

mangaman

That is a shame, its extra ground clearance would be perfect for climbing onto the pavement when parking up......

Yes but a Bentley 4*4 is the ultimate in stupidity.

It looks shoot.

You shouldn't park on the pavement at all, especially in such a massive vehicle

mangaman

Yeh funny how we allow people to become classed as "disabled" when theyve done it to themselves.

I once knew a motorcyclist who lost his hand after crashing his bike. The fool. Hes now classed as "disabled".

Fancy that!

I hate disableds. They take up valuable space from Linford and they wobble when they walk.

Bastards

OP
OP
Linford

Linford

Yeh funny how we allow people to become classed as "disabled" when theyve done it to themselves.

I once knew a motorcyclist who lost his hand after crashing his bike. The fool. Hes now classed as "disabled".

Fancy that!

Indeed and something to watch out for. However, the obesity problem over there is called 'death by knife and fork' - quite astonishing how much effort is expended to achieve this.

OP
OP
Linford

Linford

I hate disableds. They take up valuable space from Linford and they wobble when they walk.

Bastards

In the states of course, it is part of the culture to supersize things, burgers, shakes, wheelchairs etc. The Bentley would be perfect for supersized disabled people due to the huge doors, 600bhp engines, and good suspension. You aren't going to get many supersized people in regular cars once they get over a certain point.

benb

Evidence based cyclist
My local council has taken the decision not to enforce double yellow lines, if the person parking there is displaying a blue badge. My response to this was WTF!

If there are not enough disabled spaces in the car parks, then make more, by removing regular spaces. I can't fathom how it's ever OK to park on a double yellow. Either it's an appropriate place to park, or it isn't. If it is, make it into a parking bay (disabled only if you want); if it isn't then don't allow anyone to park there.

It causes access problems getting into and out of my (cul-de-sac) road, as it means the road is now single file. Also they frequently partially block the pavement.

I have written to the council, but they simply stated their policy, without justifying it.

OP
OP
Linford

Linford

My local council has taken the decision not to enforce double yellow lines, if the person parking there is displaying a blue badge. My response to this was WTF!

If there are not enough disabled spaces in the car parks, then make more, by removing regular spaces. I can't fathom how it's ever OK to park on a double yellow. Either it's an appropriate place to park, or it isn't. If it is, make it into a parking bay (disabled only if you want); if it isn't then don't allow anyone to park there.

It causes access problems getting into and out of my (cul-de-sac) road, as it means the road is now single file. Also they frequently partially block the pavement.

I have written to the council, but they simply stated their policy, without justifying it.

They removed on road parking around here to ensure the car parks filled up (which they get rates from ) I would envisage that is the case in most towns. It is mostly about raising revenue because free parking is always going to fill up before the paid parking is.

OP
OP
Linford

Linford

[QUOTE 1921890, member: 45"]They need to raise the money somewhere. It's a win-win. Either drivers are encouraged out of their vehicles, or they're justifiably paying a bit more for their oversubsidised lifestyle choice.[/quote]

The motorr industry, and vehicle use is far too important to stifle. They need cars on the road to keep commerce moving and also to help cover the debts run up by all the government spending.

OP
OP
Linford

Linford

[QUOTE 1921908, member: 45"]Personal vehicle use is different to commercial vehicle use.

The only reason that things are allowed to remain as bad as they are is that any changes are vote losers.

Let's not bother with the DM government spending guff, eh? We need money to run the country.[/quote]

The last lot bankrupted the country by being far too generous in rewarding its workers who for the greater squandered any opportunity it might have brought with incompetence and bad decision making.

How many projects for centralisation of gov resources, and super networks been canned after billions have been expended, and that the massive IOU's have been written to support the gold plated pensions of the gov workers who retire young, and only ever put in a fraction of what the gov has promised to pay out ?

OP
OP
Linford

Linford

[QUOTE 1922001, member: 45"]OK then, you get the DM guff out of the way, and then we can move on....[/quote]

I wish it were guff. We are looking into a black hole with this, and the contributions being paid by the gov workers today are actually being paid into the bank accounts of the previous gov workers as pensions. You aren't investing in a pension pot,, but merely buying an IOU multiplier which will then be paid from printing money, and the contributions of the fellow gov workers who will remain in employment after you have retired.

youngoldbloke

The older I get, the faster I used to be ...
I wish it were guff. We are looking into a black hole with this, and the contributions being paid by the gov workers today are actually being paid into the bank accounts of the previous gov workers as pensions. You aren't investing in a pension pot,, but merely buying an IOU multiplier which will then be paid from printing money, and the contributions of the fellow gov workers who will remain in employment after you have retired.
I thought this was the way the National "Insurance" scheme has always worked.

Top Bottom