Let's See Your Folding Bike

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Rockn Robin

Rockn Robin

Hmm, let's try a better pic. View attachment 432734

Bike Friday make excellent bikes, and that one of yours looks very nice. I like the handlebars. One thing I wish for on my Brommie is wider bars, but then it wouldn't fold, unless they can design a bar that telescopes outward giving more width. The bike would handle better if that be the case.

I got a Bike Friday PakiT. Swapped the comically narrow flat bars for Nitto Albatross on a longer stem. Very comfortable, significantly lighter than my Brommie, and rides/handles great. The fold is fiddly and weird, but I'm comparing to Brompton which has no equal in that area. Nice bike! View attachment 432733
Yes...very nice bike. Another example of handmade, old time crafstmanship, this time from a seemingly obscure corner of the US....Eugene Oregon.

(I had a teardrop camper built in Eugene OR by another boutique builder there on the same street as BF in fact.....and Eugene isn't a big town! Was tempted to make it a clean sweep trailer and bikewise but the timing, and my bankbook didnt agree. Love my Brompton though. Our folding bicycles are part of our small-sized camping config. as well)

Joe Brom

Regular
Folded PakiT. The wider bars interfere with the saddle, so what you see is the lower seatpost portion dropped into the frame - note this finishes the tripod with the other kickstand piece so the bike stays up - then the upper post with saddle is removed. The handlepost slides on a post into the frame.

It's not the kind of fold I would want to be fiddling with in a hurry while running for a train, but it's good enough to pop in the car for the occasional jaunt to a nice riding spot..that's what I bought it for. Most of the time I'll keep the bars and saddle in place and just use the 'kick the wheel under' feature to shorten the bike in my apartment.
IMG_20181004_101728.jpg

Last edited:

Kempstonian

Has the memory of a goldfish
I have one of these but I don't ride it because I can't get on with the small wheels and I don't like the riding position either. The bike itself is ok though, it just doesn't suit my style. I originally bought it as emergency transport if my car is off the road for any reason and I can't use it for a while - or for popping round the local shops when its not worth getting the car out.

pnHJTXiNj.jpg

pli8PuYpj.jpg

Salar

A fish out of water
@Kempstonian

Have you tried playing around with the handlebar saddle positions.

I found the riding position odd and cramped with my knees hitting things until I really extended the seat and handle bar tube and moved the saddle back.

Last edited:

Kempstonian

I must admit I haven't altered anything - but I'll certainly try what you say. It can't hurt, can it?

I'm the same regarding the riding position. Not about my knees hitting anything (I'm only a gnat's over 5ft 6) but it just seems too upright. Maybe I can do something about that. :thumbsup:

Kempstonian

Well the bars are as low as I can get them and if I raised them the riding position would be even shorter. The seat isn't very long but there is a small adjustment that can be made to move them beck, but not very much.

The only other adjustment I could make would be me! Sitting more upright is the only answer and I don't think I would like that. I think I might just sell it and put the money towards an old frame or something so I can build a bike up. I haven't done that for years so I'd quite like to do another one.

bence8810

Commuting in Tokyo with my M2R - Racing green - black 2016 model.

8015CE06-D5AB-4E2A-95B9-FA13D7323371.jpeg

Proto

Legendary Member
Bike Friday make excellent bikes, and that one of yours looks very nice. I like the handlebars. One thing I wish for on my Brommie is wider bars, but then it wouldn't fold, unless they can design a bar that telescopes outward giving more width. The bike would handle better if that be the case.

Master frame builder, racer, engineer, Rob English worked at Bike Friday for a while before starting out on his own.

http://www.englishcycles.com/

Top Bottom