Let's See Your Folding Bike

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Jimmeee

Regular
do you really need a rear rack Jimmy? its just extra weight.... If you get a bag for the front you will probably get quite a lot in there
Yup, I've been thinking this over today. I do take quite a LOT of stuff to work with me and untill now have always carried it on the rear rack. There's no reason I can't carry it at the front. :okay: quite a learning curve these Brompton's^_^

OP
OP
Rockn Robin

Rockn Robin

do you really need a rear rack Jimmy? its just extra weight.... If you get a bag for the front you will probably get quite a lot in there

I have the model that came with the rear rack. Although it’s useful for carrying a bag, you can’t fold the bike or even park it without removing the bag. For that very reason I don’t use it. If I was to purchase another Brompton I will not get the rack.

12boy

Guru
A lightweight bag off the saddle is nice for times when you don't need a large bag. As far as having
"only six speeds" they are widely spaced and should enable you to climb steep hills. If not, get a smaller chain ring. If you want to spend some money check out Ergon grips which really are comfortable. If everything is lubed and adjusted properly you have many good miles ahead of you.

chriscross1966

Über Member
Just bought this badboy yesterday. I've been practicing the fold I wanted one with a rear rack but I can fit an aftermarket one. And a bag for the front -though they seem crazily expensive. I live in a very hilly area so I'll see how I get on with just 6 gears before investing anymore £ View attachment 437280
Brompton luggage is very well made, hence the price, it is also very well designed for the job. The aftermarket racks vary from very good to truly abysmal. The good ones are really no cheaper than the Brompton one, and stuff on the rear rack slows the fold massively. A Brompton bag on the front goes on and off in a moment and unlike most rear luggage, wont clip your heels when riding...

Kell

Veteran
I did once see someone getting on the train with one of the official rear bags and it was such a faff getting it off before the bike could be folded down.

Might be a nice idea if you put it on at home and only take it off at your destination, but for multi modal travel, it seemed impractical to me.

Mind you, personally I didn't really get on with the front bag for my journey, but that seems to be specific to me. I certainly see plenty of Brompton riders with them. Though I'd say it tends to be people riding in their 'work' clothes that I see using the front bag.

Most of the people I see in cycling kit on Bromptons, tend to wear rucksacks.

ukoldschool

I certainly see plenty of Brompton riders with them. Though I'd say it tends to be people riding in their 'work' clothes that I see using the front bag.

Agree with this, I tried the rucksack but ended up with a sweaty back and no ability to change, hence the front bag. I guess if you are wearing cycling gear then you dont really care about getting sweaty because you look a complete state anyway :laugh::laugh::laugh::hello:

Kell

Veteran
Yeah, we're quite lucky at work in that we have several showers.

i certainly couldn't ride in in normal clothes as I'm a sweater.

oldwheels

Legendary Member
I seldom use a Brompton bag but instead have fitted a small fabric “ basket” with zip cover to a Brompton frame.This being smaller has less wind resistance and carries all I need. I use a waterproof backpack cover if it is raining because water pools in the top of the basket when not overfull. Works for me.

OP
OP
Rockn Robin

Rockn Robin

I did once see someone getting on the train with one of the official rear bags and it was such a faff getting it off before the bike could be folded down.

Might be a nice idea if you put it on at home and only take it off at your destination, but for multi modal travel, it seemed impractical to me.

Mind you, personally I didn't really get on with the front bag for my journey, but that seems to be specific to me. I certainly see plenty of Brompton riders with them. Though I'd say it tends to be people riding in their 'work' clothes that I see using the front bag.

I use a front bag, especially when I go grocery shopping. I can fold the bike in such a way that it transforms into a shopping cart. If I had a rear bag attached that arrangement would not work.

I was watching a series of videos on YouTube about a guy traveling around the world on a Brompton, and yes, he used a rear bag. In such travel, I see the necessity of a rear rack, but for day to day use, there’s no need.

Gunk

Guru
I thought it would be nice to breathe some life back in to this thread, here is my recently restored and updated 1995 Mk2 M3L (originally a T3)

Last edited:

12boy

Guru
Here's my 3 small wheelers...
First is a $300 Mercier Nano from Bikesdirect. Currently with bull horns and weighs 26.6 pounds. Gearing from 21 GI to 90. Does not fold but climbs like a goat.
Second is a Xootr Swift, no longer available new. Has Velo Orange Milan bars which are very comfortable for me. A little lighter than the Nano.
My Brompton has been used. Note two chainrings and it now has a 3 speed chain shifter hub courtesy of Bikegang. 36 to 86 GI. Also has moustache bars.
All three of these were designed for commuting in crowded metro situations.... Tokyo for the Nano, New York for the Swift and London, obviously for the Brompton. I like them all, but if there was only one it would have to be the Brompton.

Attachments

• IMG_0299.JPG
    IMG_0299.JPG
    189.8 KB · Views: 37
  • IMG_20190915_114618.jpg
    IMG_20190915_114618.jpg
    275 KB · Views: 38
  • IMG_20200103_111437.jpg
    IMG_20200103_111437.jpg
    194.7 KB · Views: 37
Top Bottom